XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Special Mission 4 Country Takeover

Guest Jim69

Guest Jim69

IIRC, in UFO the aliens captured the leader of that country and replaced him with an alien in disguise. This usually happens after a lot of alien activity.

What if, not all the time, but sometimes X-Corps gets some info prior to this happening. A new mission type, a sort of hostage rescue. I know this has been discussed but I don't think this specific idea has been.

Right. The aliens want to disguise themselves as the country leader, but first they have 2 secure him and send down a new alien type ( or maybe an existing 1 ). This is sent down in a battleship and sometimes X-Com learns of this. To get the leader back you shoot down the battleship ( unbeknowst that it contains the alien to be disguised by some kinda dodgy surgery, maybe a new ship type ?? ). You attack the battleship, raid it, and there is a locked door u can't get in 2. U kill all the aliens, and back at the base a new live alien is ready to be interrogated.

This alien was hiding in the locked room, and now spills the beans on their plans. It lets the player know of the plan, and tells u where u can find the countries' leader that has been kidnapped. Turns out it is at a house, maybe their retreat like Bush has. U send the troops in and there is a lot of resistance u have 2 fight thru, including a claustrophobic fight thru a load of corridors in the house. U finally find the leader in a basement or simular being heald by some high ranking aliens, which u kill, and then the leader is rescued.

Ur funding goes up as a reward, and the alien infiltraion is foiled. So, what do u think?

Sounds good but;

1)What if you blaster bomb the locked room?

2)What if you do not have an aliencontainment?

Guest Jim69

1. Then u kill him and all u know from autopsy is that he appears 2 be have been surgically altered from one alien type to a humoid type. He could look sorta humanoid shape with a few different shades of skin/human features. Sorta give the players a hint that it appears as tho he could impersonate a human, is intelligent but not very strong. Let them piece the puzzle together themselves, sorta :)

2. Same as above

This is a great idea.. What if they would try to get the original human leader to their planet and you should drop the "kidnap ship" and instead of that closed room with an altered alien there would be a locked room with the country leader inside..? Rescue mission. Or to make it possible to get infiltrated country back even if the battleship runs away, they would hide and trap the original leader to some of the alien bases? And in the alien base there would be a room where you can find that leader (and after finding him he would become moveable as engineers and scientists in apocalypse baseattack) If those bastard aliens kill him, the funding from that country will be lost forever.?

Maybe this should be version 1.0+ but it's not impossible to implement on 1.0 either.

Guest Jim69

Well, it's definatly v1.0+ since it varies from UFO, but thats what the labs 4. I like that idea, may I suggest a combination of the 2 ideas?

If u don't get 2 the kidnap site in time, say 3 hours, the kidnap ship gets there first and attempts to take him back 2 Cydonia 2 mimmick his speech patterns and mannurisms etc. The ship would show up on the Hyperwave Scanner as a Kidnap Ship, and it would leave some Doctors and the new alien type behind to start the surgery.

U would then have to stop the ship b4 it builds up enough acceleration 2 return to Cydonia, and if successfull the leader would be on the ship. They would attempt 2 deal with u while keeping him alive, 2 protect the alien lookalike's cover being blown. If sucessful then the info would be sent back 2 that country and the alien found and killed by their own authorities. In this way we could add a new ship, a new species AND a new mission type.

These ideas are good ones for additional mission types. Probably would require the hyperwave decoder to figure it out, but you could also get lucky and happen upon one without it. I agree with the blaster bomb taking the leader out, so once you go on the rescue mission you know not to use them in the building. Perhaps you have a time limit after capturing the impersonator, maybe it tells you when you get back about the new mission, rather than make you "research" the alien. After being told, you've got X hours before the other alien figure the mission failed and kill the real leader. That creates another incentive for using the lightning transport, to get your team there quick.

Guest Jim69
Yeah, maybe the operation takes 4 hours and u have 2 send in a team to kill the aliens guards, then u burst in on the alien op theater (I've never had 2 spell that b4, OMG prob wrong) and c the surgons bent over a table w/ loads of alien blood around the place. Wouldn't have 2 be too detailed either due to the camera distance, just detailed enough 2 look very freaky.

And you have a sound trigger so that when the door opens, a piece of the theme for X Files plays! :D

• 1 month later...

There can be other ways of take over a country.

The governments know the aliens and mad alot to protect themselve. For example Washington DC would be a gigantic fortress with realy strong air defense.

"The normal way of take control over a government" --> infiltrate and take controll over the highest Leader.

But sometime it have to go faster. So they don't only terrorize the civilians, no they would conquer the capital city. Now they couldn't land beside the government but at the edge of the city an fight, with alot of strong troops, through untill they reach the government building(white House or so ;) )

Maybe the whole operation would go around 6 hours. You have to be there in this time because you are the best with the best equitment! There are many defenders but they are weak and afraid of the aliens!

6 hours time to rescue the government and as many people as possible. Maybe if you arrive in the latest halfe houre you fight in the near of the Main Building (white house ore so ;) ) There are you alot of strong aliens and some defenders who fighte the aliens also.

you XXXXXXXX aliensXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX defendersXXXXX PresidentX

The aliens would kill the president! Their rearguard fight aganinst you but the most are fighting the defenders which loosing more and more ground. You loose alot of reputation if the president die!!! So you have to rescue him! That could have a dramatically showdown! :o

If you arrive earlier then you are fighting in the City with only a few number of defenders but alot of civilians!

This is one idea, but we can do alot of diffrent special terror and other missions. Couldn't we ? :D

Yet another good idea Fimbul! I like the idea of aliens actually trying to conquer a city, then moving on the leaders of a country. It is v1+ but, I think it might be doable soon after v1.

Of course, a blaster bomb would purge a great many aliens at once... :D

If I was an alien I would just mind control the SOB instead of changing him out.

I think that the whole scenario would have much more of a tragic feel if they got to the president and implanted something into his brain by which they could make suggestions into his subconcious... implanting false memories and creating steriotypes and thereby making prejudices and fears and controlling him that way.

Edited by RustedSoul

Hmm, that could work. Maybe u the mission could be that they raid the leaders home and implant something into his brain like u have suggested. If u find out about this then the mission could be 2 stop them from performing the operation b4 it is too l8, there is a time limit and u ave 2 get there. It would mean making a map 4 each countries leaders home, but could be extremely interesting. Obviously u wouldn't find out all the time, maybe there is some kinda trigger 4 it I dunno. I'm sure something could be worked out so the mission's don't get boring. Maybe u only find out about 50% of these operations thru intelligence, and maybe if u capture a ranking alien alive they will tell u about what leader and when.

If I was an alien I would just mind control the SOB instead of changing him out. 

:LOL:

Not much to add here :devillaugh:

Even though I like the idea of a giant alien slugfest, I don't think they'll try to take over a nation with brute force. IMHO they would try it with stealth, infiltrating, trying to get close to the leader and at the right time replace him with a disguised alien, or mind control him or whatever, not by going in and shooting everyone (who's going to believe that impersonator is the president after that :D )

Edited by RustedSoul

Who would know if some aliens snuck upto Bush's ranch in Texas, killed the guards, implanted somthing in his head, cleared up and left. It could only take them 4 hours and could be done in the dead of night. U r right about stealth tho, which is why, IMO, they should attack him at his most vunerable, at home. If they did MC or implant him then they could make him say some crappy story about how the SS guys went out in the dead of the night and never came back, and he has no idea where they went or why they didn't raise the alarm.

Even though I like the idea of a giant alien slugfest, I don't think they'll try to take over a nation with brute force. IMHO they would try it with stealth, infiltrating, trying to get close to the leader and at the right time replace him with a disguised alien, or mind control him or whatever, not by going in and shooting everyone (who's going to believe that impersonator is the president after that  )

The creator's of XCom agreed with you. You pretty much summed up the entire plot of Enemy Unknown.

I know the aliens would do it mostly in stealth, but maybe it would be a cool diffrent mission typ. Only once or twice per game. In the later stage. There could be somme important things, this country fight the aliens aswell and support the X-Corps relly strong. It could be an example for rest of the nations. I know, it could be counterproductive for the aliens. --> The rest of the world stand together and kill all aliens, WE ARE ONE WORLD! WE ARE ONE MANKIND! THIS IS OUR INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!!!! :sly:

Ups wrong movie. :spank:

(this could work in a scenario where the most of the earth is controled by aliens and X-Corps are freedom fighters)

The idea with kidnappig or implating are also realy good. But you need a starting happening. A leader which do you interrogate or messages witch do you receive with the Hyperwave Decoder.

I only think, Bush or any leader else know how dangerous the aliens are. So i think Bush would have the halfe army of the U.S. to protect him selfe! :cussing:

Sometimes I would slay great battles against the aliens :uzzi:

It could be in the later game, then the most people know the aliens and the aliens have build a big army and infrastructure. Maybe you also.

It would give another way. But it havn't to be :D

We could make maps for Multiplayer games, large battlefields which you could also play against the PC. :uzzi: :plasma:

I would like to see a massive battle going on between aliens and militaries before you get there. The humans are getting pasted of course, but once you and your blaster bombs get there... :devillaugh:

I think xcom should be able to conquer countries! J/K

Edited by RustedSoul

xcom conquer countries? :huh?: What a great idea! :beer:

Every country or only the one which are dominated by aliens? <-- more logical ^_^

About new missions. I think we have to have new resarch for that. We have to understand the script of the aliens, their computerprogramming, their computer memory system(disks or crystals), their way of thinking, systems which we can read their mind(edit: I know we have the mindprob but do we understand what we read/see?). Because their comanders would rather die than tell us anything about their secrets.

So we could find some memorycrystals with the plan of taking control about land XY.

Maybe in a base we find a list of controled leaders and politicians which we could hunt then. :devillaugh:

Or some genetically reserch from their projects. Maybe a biological Virus who only kill/mutate humans. --> We have to destroy any research about this or research an antidote/vaccine to rescue the mankind

and so on..... :D

Edited by Fimbul

Actually there is a specific thread 4 all extra mission types, I started this coz it was getting quite big and vague, so I just took an idea I liked and started discussing it. Dunno where the original thread is now tho.

Hey Jim, what does the (pmb) in your group mean?

Anyway, I think it has been decided that extra missions are a good thing that can't be implemented until version 2+ :)

Just wait though, I can think of plenty of stupid missions that would be ripped up from the depths of my dark subconcious. :devillaugh:

This is the lab, stupid idea's are copius and welcome here :LOL:

Really tho, if we can agree with some missions we would like 2 see then at least it will be ready 2 be tried when V1.0 is rdy.

Edit: Pretty Mean B@stard :LOL: Dunno what it stands 4, just means I'm a project member rather than a mod.

Edited by Jim69

Ok here is a serious one: An alien battleship is carrying something : :naughty: that causes it to crash. All hands were lost, but the aliens have sent a small recovery team of their best troops to recover this 'something' Obviously you want it too. If you land in time, you need to explore the ufo to find this object and escape with it. It will provide either new research paths (like weapons and the like) or will provide information on alien ships. All alien ships.

And now: a less serious one, the aliens are infecting cows with mad cow disease, but unfourtnately they screwed up and now the cows are very angry and very smart! You must face a level of heavy plasma wielding moomoos! Mooo, Mooo, Moo I say, Moo.

the aliens are infecting cows with mad cow disease, but unfourtnately they screwed up and now the cows are very angry and very smart! You must face a level of heavy plasma wielding moomoos! Mooo, Mooo, Moo I say, Moo.

There is no cow level! :devillaugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Erm... What with abductions? They invented it for some reason so shouldn't they just use it? I guess there's not even a need for another craft type. Aboard the craft aliens insert the chip/virus/something and then release the guy. THey can do that while just flying around ;) (I guess too much risk of being shot down) or by flying to nearby base... To stop aliens from abducting country leaders, you would have to destroy bases.

And about leader's death - they will choose a new one, wouldn't they? New leader may agree or disagree to keep supporting X-Com, and only way to change his/her mind is habving big score at end of the month.

If aliens would succesfully 'persaude' leader to join 'em why not just do the same thing with him? Attack his home, pack him inside the craft, and get back to the base. Ofcourse you could kill him but that would result in terrible rep, or just score penalties (quite same things, I guess).

Edited by Extralucas

• 2 weeks later...
I like the idea of being able to attempt a coup against a nation which has sided with aliens. It would be just a regular mission but in some government square, where you enter government buildings and using a special new technology you research to scan for aliens posing as humans. However the stakes of killing civilians is much higher in this case, since they are politcians. Local police will try to prevent you from going in and abducting people or snooping around, so it's a balancing act between avoiding killing police, politicians and finding these alien imposters. So it's possible that a coup fails and your organization loses reputation accross the international community.

I was thinking instead of just going in there guns blazing and that to capture him, we could stick close to X-Com and say they secretly kidnap him to replace him with an alien that looks like him ( that's what it said in UFOpaedea anyway ). Maybe if u have a hyperwave decoder you can tell that the battleship is going to kidnap him and assualt it when they land, then u get the new mission, hostage rescue.

I was thinking u could do it at any time, before it would be the same as any other mission, during starts a HR mission at the leader's personal home and after is HR mission at crashed UFO.

It's easy to say that he doesn't, why not? It wouldn't be the only thing that isn't explained fully in games today, the question we should be asking is would it be fun? Would we really want to assualt a UFO knowing that there is a hostage aboard? What rules could be factored into the game to make this mission fun? Should it be over if the leader is killed, or should it just take away from the score?

I think it is more important for the game to be fun than to make sense, if we started to pick things that don't make sense then the whole base thing would be straight out the window, especially the size of the labs, living quaters and workshops. The real question is what the feature brings to the table, and does it fit in with the gameplay style because when the player is actually in the universe we create then that is all that really matters.

True, True.

Ok I think that this is a good idea, and that if the leader has been abducted, that once you shoot down the ufo carrying him, you have a certain (lets say 30) turns from setting down to get to him before the execute him? Hows that?

I think that mission should go on. Like all X-Com missions (maybe except last at Cydonia basement) mission doesn't end until you neutralise all the threat or evacuate. And leader's death... Killing him won't make X-Com reputation better. Probably drastical cut of fundings from country led by dead (already) leader.

What I was thinking was that you would have to reach the president in 30 turns or the aliens would kill him. Once you reach him, you must then purge the surrounding area of aliens to allow for safe evac.

I was reffering to Jim's post :P But I agree with you anyway. But maybe he should have some AI (president, not Jim) to get to safe area than just standing or runing like civies on terror sites (that was really stupid when civie ran under Floater's fire)

I agree, he should try and hide somewhere. But I do like the 30 turn limit, say he dies after 30 turns. That doesn't effect the mission, just the score and they have succesfully infiltrated the country

But why should he die after those 30 turns? Just fall on the floor and die? Why will he die? Maybe those 30 turns are time when Aliens decide to abondon mission and just kill him?

I was thinking after 30 turns the aliens would think sod this, we ain't going to get away with the human leader, lets just shoot him in the head. They want him alive remember so that they can put an identically looking alien in his place. If it gets too hairy then they would just shoot him if they got the oppotunity. So, say after 30 turns they give up holding onto him and shoot him.

I remember this Mission in JA2 where you had to don't let some guy press some button or otherwise other guy gonna blow up and you won't get bonus rocket rifle.

This HR mission might get really hard 'cause - you are getting closer, say entered the UFO, aliens kill guy. If they not - they're stupid aliens. If they do - then they're tough aliens... What should be criteria of "kill him" or "kill him not" actions?

Why not say Aliens are supremly arrogant when it comes to things like this. There are examples all the way throughout UFO. Take the Commander in a base: He kills himself and blows up the whole alien command centre right? Well, why does he wait until they are right beneath the bloody thing to do it??? Coz he is arrogant and no matter how many of his bretheren have died he thinks "Eh, they'll never make it to the command centre, hahahah"

The why not send battleships straight away? Arrogance. They think they have things under control, X-Com? Who? Eh, they don't stand a chance.

So I suggest they don't try and kill him until they see a troop enter the room, so here is the chance for some Rainbow Six type room clearing. Guy on each side of the door, both run in, cap the 4 aliens holding him without hurting him and hope you hit them and draw their fire :D

Just gotta say 30 turns is a really short time. Both in game time and in the amount of time it takes to clear a ufo. Its not unusal for missions go into the 100's of turns for me. Even more in a base attack. If something like this were included we really shouldn't put a time limit on it. I like Jim's final idea where the aliens wouldn't try to kill the hostage till they enter the room.

Though I have to say if its the President we're supposed to be rescuing I'd probably pick up a plasma rifle and shoot him myself. "What can I say we we tried but we were too late" :devillaugh:

Just gotta say 30 turns is a really short time. Both in game time and in the amount of time it takes to clear a ufo. Its not unusal for missions go into the 100's of turns for me. Even more in a base attack. If something like this were included we really shouldn't put a time limit on it. I like Jim's final idea where the aliens wouldn't try to kill the hostage till they enter the room.

Though I have to say if its the President we're supposed to be rescuing I'd probably pick up a plasma rifle and shoot him myself. "What can I say we we tried but we were too late"  :devillaugh:

Me too, that's why I like the 30 turn limit. It would make it hard as nails to actually save the leader which would be cool. It's good to have things like this that don't necessarily end the game because it is that much more satisfying when you actually pull it off. I think this limit should be incorporated into some new mission, but prehaps not here. What about if you have a 30 turn limit when you get to where the UFO has landed. If you fail then they take off with the leader, and do some AI where it takes around 30 turns to get to the UFO through all the corridors and stuff. Dunno, it could work somewhere tho.