XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Best Purchasable Weapon

What is the best basic (purchasable) human weapon?  

702 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit a sectoid in the head today, after he killed three guys though.  It was satisfying. :explode:

nothing makes me smile more then shooting a rocket at a corner where some plasma bolts came from and seeing 3-5 dead sectoids. Kinda like shooting cyber disks right next to their respective controllers... usually by turn 3 the battlescape is one giant smoke cloud hanging over a newly formed parking lot. :D

DIE SECTOIDS!

:uzzi2: :alienoooh:

Edited by Trevelyan

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going to have to say rocket launcher, because not only do I use them the most, but every time I get an autocannon and one clip on a soldier they are not able to use their full amount of time units per turn.

• 1 month later...

Chose smoke grenade and then noticed Stun Rod option. :Blush:

Rods and Smoke grenades are only of basic weapons that I use longer than for a month or two.

• 4 months later...

To answer the question: I prefer Rifles. I do about 8-10 soldiers with rifles, 2 medics with pistols and medi-kits (Or, early on, just pistols and have them scouting), 1 rocket launcher, and 1 auto-cannon. I carry 2 small missiles 1 large and 1 IC. For the AC I carry 2 HE and 1 IC, having the HE loaded at mission start.

All of my Riflemen carry 1 proximity and 1 regular grenade.. Sometimes I will take along a grenade man and pack him up with high explosives.. But all and all the regular AP rifle is my weapon of choice.

Reason for this? Well.. This early in the game (Pre-Laser) there's only 4 types of enemies you should be encountering.. Sectiods, floaters, reapers, and Cyberdisk.. The only one of those that poses a problem with the suggested set-up above is the cyberdisk, being that it _CAN_ potentially take nearly a dozen shots from a regular rifle to take one down. Problem is, they are also highly resistant to explosions, making them very difficult. You just have to hope you have researched laser rifles before you get any terror missions popping up.

Otherwise, the AP Rifle makes short work of most sectiods and floaters and IC rockets (Or AC-IC) fry Reapers like a Thanksgiving Turkey..

You don't care about your rookies???  What kind of... of... MONSTER are you??? 

Seriously, I do not buy one single kind of weapon though, I always keep a nice mix of available weapons. I just started a new game, and now my Skyranger is equipped with 14 men: 2 rocket launchers (4 missiles each, 3 large 1 IC), 2 heavy cannons (3 clips, one of each kind), 2 autocannons (see heavy cannon), 4 laser rifles and 4 laser pistols, with 2 stun rods and 4 heavy explosives. And 16 grenades, 8 smoke grenades and 8 proximity mines.

I find it mildly interesting how differently some people play.. For example, it's obvious you like the higher powered weapons, with mild use of grenades and pistols/rifles... I am quite the opposite.. I prefer rifles, with only a few select soldiers carrying the heavier weapons.. Pistols to me are good for scouts, and in the next game I start I may make a couple very high TU "Scout" units, but I rarely equip them religiously. I only give them to medics and heavy weapons guys as a "backup" in case they either run out of ammo or are forced to back up their team with conventional weapons.

I think I am going to go make a topic concerning this.. as I would find it interesting to see what works well for different people.

I'd also like to touch on something I think somebody else may have mentioned here: The Auto-Cannon is VERY versitile and has a very long shelf life.. Even though I prefer the Rifle over-all as a starting weapon, I must give props to the Auto-Cannon because of the fact that it can be a viable weapon selection even in late stages of the game. Think about it...

What are your "LATE" weapons?

I hear people saying Heavy Plasma and Blaster bombs alot.. I hear some people raving about Lasers (which I like to mix in some as well).. But does anybody keep an Auto-cannon throughout the entire game? Think about it.. Is there anything that really fits that niche like the AC?!

Heavy plasma is like an upgraded version of the regular rifle.. It's the most over-all powerful auto-fire weapon, but it is not explosive or IC..

The blaster bomb is Explosive, but not IC.. Does not have an "Auto-fire" (or snap shot) option.. Takes a ton of TU's, and is over-all perhaps a little over-the-top when it comes to working with a small group of enemies in confined quarters.

The stun bombs are good for capturing aliens.. and that's about it.

Grenades are single use.. They can be thrown a single time and are explosive, but they as well cost alot of TU and there are certain dangers that go along with them (such as getting killed after priming but before throwing, and blowing your corpse up along with your friends).

Laser rifles and heavy lasers can be effective verses certain enemies and are accurate but over all I'd have to say the Heavy Plasma packs more of a punch and is a better weapon in general..

So, there are some redundancies here..

The Rocket launcher is easily replaced by the blaster bomb.. The pistols and rifles can be upgraded to better versions.. The grenades can be upgraded, stun rod can be replaced (Perhaps not exactly, as stunbomb launches and stunrod can be used in close quarters.. But I try to stay away from people I'm trying to kill.. Sometimes they kill back.)

Can you ever truly replace the AC? It has auto fire and single shot capabilities, high damage and the versitility of AP, IC, and HE.. Not so much IC or HE that you're really putting your friends in danger and just enough AP to be a threat to even the toughest of aliens..

Wow.. I think I am going to be changing my late-game set-up just a bit.

Edited by EtherImp

I mostly agree with you, except that the Puny rifles deliver so ridiculous damage (and lots of aliens are resistant to it), that they just don't cut it in Superhuman... Even a lousy Sectoid will take 2-3 shots easily. They are LAME, and I just scrap all rifles as soon as I get Lasers... :D

As for the late weapons, a mix of Heavy Plasma and laser is good for me, having both allows all the advantages of both, firepower, quickness, more amno/guns/soldiers and adaptability.

Blaster bomb does not *need* Autofire :explode:

Stun bombs are terrific for area effect that does not damage the spoils of war, particularly alien equipment (HP) and UFO Power sources... :naughty:

Grenades are Extraordinary as indirect fire... They pack quite a punch, destroy anoying buildings, and their proper use is either around corners (where your motion scanner told ya you'll get shot the instant you move) or better yet outside, where 2-3 rookies hang back with all their TUs until everyone moves, if they spot an alien and miss, one of the buddies in the back can still usually save them...

And yes, there are redundancies, of course, what'dya expect :LOL:

And the AC is HEAVY for rookies, but it remains usefull throughout the game, esp. at night with incendiary rounds, in close quarters with Power armor, or from a flying suit (secondary blasts rarely miss this way)

Oh, and equip you Psi weak guys with it, power armor is invulnerable to IC :D

Well, I was just pointing out those things about the Blaster Bomb.. It's a one use thing.. You fire it, reload it.. Wait until next turn to fire it again. Yes, it's very very powerful, but it's like a nuke, and alot of times you have soldiers too close to a small group (or in close quarters) to be a viable option.. The Auto cannon on the other hand can lay down just as much carnage to a group of aliens in 1 turn, and not put you or your friends in danger.

Yes, wear a suit of power armour and you're autocannon-proof. Well, not exactly, you can sometimes be hurt by a direct hit (a very lucky direct hit). Otherwise, you can safely unleash HE shells in rapid succession at a target standing right next to you and not care about anything.

Mind you, some aliens are highly resistant against the autocannon, like Mutons and Chryssalids, but overall it's a very fine weapon indeed so who cares about one or two trouble aliens when it works against all the others, eh?

By the way, regarding the stun bombs:

Their usefulness ends when you capture all the aliens you need to win the game, true enough.

But they can also disable large terror units very well (and if luck is on your side - very quickly). Particularly reapers. They aren't so bad at handling cyberdiscs and sectopods as well. Of course, the harder the difficulty level, the higher their under armour so the game needs to roll a higher and higher value just to let the stun bomb have much of an effect. Superhuman cyberdiscs and reapers are generally no problem, but superhuman sectopods can be a bit of a pain.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 3 weeks later...

I choose Rocket Launcher. It has very good firepower and it's accurate. I prefer them over Autocannons beacouse at the begining soldiers are missing most of the shots. And later you have Laser and Plasma Rifles. On the other hand RL are heavy and it takes more TU to take the shot but it's a great weapon.

Ros

The Heavy Cannon is a very good terran weapon and i don't know why it got so little votes.

It has the very good Accuracy, Low TU cost, Best Damage (Out of the guns) and a selection of 3 clips (AP,HE,INC).

And it only requires 33 Strength (including 3 clips) to wield without any disadvantages to your TUs.

But the main problem is that it has no Auto-Shot and only 6 ammo per clip.

So i say this is the best sniper weapon out of all the purcashable weapons.

I recently been playing Xcom on superhuman with Terran weapons only (no laser weapons just purchasable stuff). I can pretty much kill a sectiod,floater and snakeman in one hit with a heavy cannon. Mutons can take like 6 shots :wacko: and im currently have the displeasure of fighting a landed havester in the jungle at dark filled with superhuman mutons :boohoo:

Edited by Xether

Yeah, well, you asked for it...

(using only human weapons... *shudder* :o)

Then again, if it's a challenge you like, you've got one! :LOL:

(I HOPE you're not using AP amno against hose guysm, as in Rifles and HC-AP, cuz Mutons take only half damage from AP... Use lasers... They're human tech :D)

I actually like all 3 heavy human weapons, The HC is good for the extra punch (and in superhuman it's needed to blast a single wall, let alone an alien)

The Autocannon is good for exploding everything around your target, or go on illumination sprees. With a power armor you can use AC-HE point blank without fear...

teh rocket launcher is gret for the extra punch needed with artillery support, but in the early game a rocket launcher tank is better to blast alien cover, so the Rocket launcher is better for shooting IC rockets inside UFOs, so it won't destroy loot. With a flying armor and a 80 TU guy, it really rocks though, especially with the high damage of the large rocket...

(smal rockets are for wimps, sell them all :D)

All in all, they all got their uses IMHO, so I usually bring one of each...

hey hexon... i gotta secret for you...

You can load more then four rockets in your backpack!

Pick up rocket, click sort button for the stuff below, place in backpack. it should disapear and then you place another rocket on top. Be careful, you can easily overload even your strongest people at the beginning, but when your hitting up 60 stregnth, you dont have much to worry about. Having those extra shots/different types of rockets available makes the RL o so much better :D

I totally did not know that! Thanks!

It depends on what type of aliens you're fighting and what difficulty you plan to play.

A common superhuman reaper for example needs 2 - 3 full pistol clips worth of bullets. Or just toss a grenade and it'll be over in no time.

The only reasonable weapons to fight superhuman sectopods with are high explosives and large rockets. Heavy cannons with AP rounds (the cannon tank for preference) are great for superuhuman cyberdiscs, and so are large rockets and high explosives. Even proximity mines (target the top-left corner). Pistol and rifle rounds are no good against chryssalids, but heavy/auto cannon AP shells are twice as effective as HE shells.

It's nice to know that you can get very far with your conventional weapons. Got pretty far with a rocket-launcher-only game at one time. Very pleasing too! :)

- NKF

Using laser weapons is far to easy so im just using buyable weapons.

Well, It'S not THAT easy IMHO, it's purely legal, 100% earth-based tech, so if you restrict yourself to the puny weapons that will not even make a dent in a Sectopod's rerside, you've never finished the game on Superhuman with that...

Or maybe you did it chiken-commando style, by running away from all the Sectopods :LOL:

I'm curious on how you handle them... ^_^

[edit]

It depends on what type of aliens you're fighting and what difficulty you plan to play.

A common superhuman reaper for example needs 2 - 3 full pistol clips worth of bullets. Or just toss a grenade and it'll be over in no time.

The only reasonable weapons to fight superhuman sectopods with are high explosives and large rockets. Heavy cannons with AP rounds (the cannon tank for preference) are great for superuhuman cyberdiscs, and so are large rockets and high explosives. Even proximity mines (target the top-left corner). Pistol and rifle rounds are no good against chryssalids, but heavy/auto cannon AP shells are twice as effective as HE shells.

It's nice to know that you can get very far with your conventional weapons. Got pretty far with a rocket-launcher-only game at one time. Very pleasing too! :)

- NKF

Ah, it looks like :master: NKF answered that already :LOL:

Hmmm Rocket-launcher only game... That must be great!! but maybe not in close quarters... :D

Or around power cores :o

Tehn again, it's real fun to blow everything up !! ^_^

Edited by Paladin

Well, you really must learn to conserve your shots and make sure each and every one counts. You've only got so much room for the things, powerful though they are.

You don't have to fight around the power units. Choose a different battlefield and fight the aliens there. With such heavy firepower on your side, you can afford to take it slow.

There are a number of downsides to a rocket-launcher-only game. Berserking or mind controlled soldiers can be very frightening indeed! Unless you use a two-man fire team with on soldier carrying the rockets while the other soldier only fires the rockets but never keeps any rockets loaded at the end of the mission. One other problem with a rocket-launcher only game is the ammo. It's so precious! Sometimes you might run completely out of ammo and will have to force yourself to retreat (not necessarily a bad thing - it's just inconvenient).

Though I said rockets and high explosives are the only reasonable weapons to fight sectopods with - note that I didn't say how many you need. I don't recall at the moment, but I seem to recall something like 2 - 3 large rockets per sectopod.

That said though, give it a go. It's so much fun! :)

- NKF

From all the years i played X-com i have only seen a sectopod twice! I don't have much experience againist them but i probably be using rocket tanks and rocketmen (and if my troops are close enough i throw some explosives :happybanana:) if i ever get the chance to meet them.

Also has anyone noticed that Reapers in Superhuman actually do stuff? Like run at you and actually bite you unlike in easier modes they run around in circles.

LOL i just had 3 reapers charge my tank and eat it :blink: .

Trust me, don't event try to fight a sectopod with a rocket tank unless you're just using it as a decoy. A rocket tank already has trouble phasing a superhuman cyberdisc ( 3 - 4 rockets per), it's not going to be too effective against a sectopod. Large rockets fare slightly better.

But don't let that stop you on easier levels. I'm just basing my experience off of superhuman level sectopods.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I've yet to meet sectopods on my Suprehuman game, but I carry a heavy laser and laser tank around, just in case 

Agreed. Heavy Lasers and Laser Tanks turn Sectopods into whimpering wusses..

Okay, well, maybe that's an exaggeration.. Sectopods induce the most fear with me. I've seen them shrug off the explosion from a Blaster Launcher before. (Direct hits always kill them though, just not necessarily the sectopod standing next to them. Gulp!)

I find that most of them, once you get only a bit ahead with the research, just when you have laser guns :devillaugh: are a shame. the rocket launcher just sucks and is the best of them.. if we exclude proximity grenades. They're the only Earth based item I still use till the end. They have helped me a lot, and saved my donkey even more ;). Specially with Chryssalids.

One important thing I get with it is not having to search inside small areas when they're around. They die and I have not to get near. As you can expect their efficiency is not the 100%, but they're priceless.

EDIT - I forgot I use too smoke grenades, but I don't lend them so attention as to proxies, I can leave smokes in stores, but proxies can't be left.

Edited by Admiral Harkov

I use proxies a lot in the beginning, or when camping a UFO, but after I get flying armors, I don't use them much, mostly because I make my own UFO doors... :LOL:

Then again, rocket launchers are VERY usefull in Superhuman IMHO, because with the increased alien stats, you NEED the extra firepower...

Plus, they demolish buildings faster than 'nades :D

• 1 month later...

Guys, I think we're all forgeting a very important weapon: the standard grenade. Sure, it's obsolete once you research alien 'nades, but it great in the early game (first 2-3 missions, or anytime before alien grenades). It doesn't need a clear LOF (only arc of throw), and its damage puts the rifle, pistol, and even quto-cannon to shame. Only downside is its TU-consuming priming mechanism, but if you prime them all at the beginning of a mission. . .boom.

The auto-cannon/heavy cannon never really caught my eye, as I usually had 2-3 RL guys. Snipers w/ high strength. Ouch. Anyway, the auto/heavy-cannons aren't very good at close range (takes too many TUs to unload HE/IN, re-load AP), and try firing one when there's civies around. Better to just let the aliens kill the civies, lose less points (I think).

Proxies are one of the few weapons that you can carry all the way to Cydonia, becuz of their uniqueness. RLs become obolete after blasters, and so forth, but all types of grenades are useful at all stages of the game (except for Mutons/Sectopods/Cyberdisks vs. normal grenades).

AC's all the way :D Rockets are very powerful, I'll give them that, but for an all-purpose weapon the Auto Cannon is the best. You can use it a terror sites, ufo's, against ethereals (if you have AC-I ammo & power armor that is), etc. Not to mention that there is nothing like killing a group of aliens in one burst :devillaugh:

I'd like to see you kill a cluster of 3 Mutons with one auto-cannon shot. Heck, you can have four. It'll take. . .maybe six(?) HE shots from an auto-cannon before you can take that kind of thing down. With alien grenades, it'll take two, possibly three.

• 2 weeks later...
Guys, I think we're all forgeting a very important weapon: the standard grenade. Sure, it's obsolete once you research alien 'nades, but it great in the early game (first 2-3 missions, or anytime before alien grenades). It doesn't need a clear LOF (only arc of throw), and its damage puts the rifle, pistol, and even quto-cannon to shame. Only downside is its TU-consuming priming mechanism, but if you prime them all at the beginning of a mission. . .boom.

In early missions I have a primed 'nade in each hand. The men still carry an AC with some ammo, but mostly for strength training. Sure it slows them down but really helps stamina,strength.

After laser weapons I have rifle in one hand, 'nade in the other. They are cheap and might get you a free kill. PLus its just awesome to throw and then start shooting.

RL are perfect for eliminating cover. A couple fo these guys destroy allthe buildings, unless I like the region I am operating in. Sometimes I feel bad for the farmers and do it SWAT style.

Hate to nitpick, but a very heavy weapon won't help you train your strength and stamina up. Strength and stamina is mainly obtained from the very act of hitting enemies with bullets/explosives.

But on the other hand, I guess it's not entirely incorrect to say that you can build up strength with the autocannon. Seeing as an autocannon with any of its shell types will always a brutal weapon to contend with in the early-mid portions of the game, and you're bound to hit a lot of enemies with HE shells.

The only catch is that you must put it to some use in order to reap the benefits.

edit:

Just thought I'd add a bit more info on another starting weapon that can do some serious damage to sectopods. Well, more like weapons as I'm really just describing a damage type.

Incendiary. One shot will definitely not be enough, but as long as you can set fire to the ground underneath the sectopod, all subsequent shots bypass its armour! Well, probably not entirely, but you can still do plenty of damage to a superhuman sectopod this way.

Ignore the fact that there's a bug that causes damage to every unit standing in fire whenever there's an incendiary weapon impact somewhere (anywhere) on the map.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I've adopted the pistols thing recently as a means to train up reactions and find that works great. Course it helped that I gave the enemy something weaker to shoot back at my guys with to get the best benefit per mission doing this :)

Insofar as strength training goes, I noticed that along with my reactions stuff I was doing, that seemed to help. I think they have to be peforming a combat action of some kind to see any increase. Lately I've been doing combination training missinos. By this I mean I try to do a little of everything with the ones I'm working up. I begin with throwing looted alien nades an guns back to the ship, then march the aliens to a prime spot arming them with my rifles or pistols, then staging my trainees near them with laser weapons.

It wasn't until I did this for the first time I had a new appreciation for the laser pistols and rifles besides them having no ammunition requirement :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i drop all rifles fast and drop all pistols immediately

nothing beats a few better weapons

as for best starting, i am torn between autocannon and heavy cannon, the rocket launcher is good, but is not as usefull since it is only good sometimes

• 2 weeks later...

Autocannon w/ incindery ammo, VERY good for lighting up an area during night missions.

Rocket launcher with large rockets 'cause it's just so damn destructive:

*Alien hides in shop* Hehehhhh, youuu can't get me!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

*No more shop*

But not quite so insane as the Blaster launcher:

*Alien hides in shop* Hehehhhh, youuu can't get me!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

*No more shop... or street, or buildings next to shop, or buildings on the map, or civilians*

Rifle....it is the bread and butter of my troops, becoz I like to stay at Standoff Range and plaster those aliens with a lot o lead, or zap the air with lasers, I never have equipped plasma to my troops, only lasers.

BTW- Random question, how do you stop one of your unconcious, and fatally wounded troops from dying? I will answer later

I like the interchangeability of the pistols and rifles. One's better for snapshots and reaction shots, the others for auto and a hopeless but accurate aimed shot. But I wouldn't put them down as the best purchaseable weapons. I kind of lean more towards the high explosive for that. Yeah, I know, it's a 1-use weapon, but it sure packs a punch, which more than makes up for the money spent on it.

Medikit:

Have someone stand on top of said wounded and unconscious soldier and use it. First use heal and heal the body part with the critical wounds until everything is back to green. This will heal a bit of your soldier's health as well. If the soldier has not woken up, apply the stimulants - this will reduce the stun damage and increase the unconscious soldier's energy a little - but stamina is the least of your problems at the moment. If you've used up all 10 stimulants, well, the only thing you can do is wait.

- NKF

Rifle....it is the bread and butter of my troops, becoz I like to stay at Standoff Range and plaster those aliens with a lot o lead, or zap the air with lasers, I never have equipped plasma to my troops, only lasers.

BTW- Random question, how do you stop one of your unconcious, and fatally wounded troops from dying? I will answer later

Stand in the same tile as the unconsious troop and use medi-kit to heal the fatal wounds.

As for the original question of this thread, proximity grenade. They'll lose their value a bit when mutons and ethereals show up, but still there's no substitute for them.

BTW- Random question, how do you stop one of your unconcious, and fatally wounded troops from dying? I will answer later.

Sorry, but another thing you could do if you were medkitless is stuff the soldier in your backpack....

I couldn't let that statement pass without testing this out first (on my CE version of X-COM). I took an unarmored soldier along to a Supply Ship mission with some of my best troops. When I got there, one of my troopers got trigger-happy with the normal pistol (big shock) and shot my unarmored soldier until he had fatal wounds. 5 fatal wounds were inflicted, and because the soldier’s health was 50 to start with, it would go down in nice increments.

When the soldier hit 10 for health, another trooper nailed him with a Stun Bomb. What a shame, the soldier fell unconscious! :wink1: One of my guys picked up the stunned (and still fatally wounded) soldier and placed him in his backpack. Now I waited 2 turns. The soldier in the backpack died. Oh, well. It would have been nice if this were true. :Cry:

----------

As for the original topic, I voted for the Stun Rod (though the Proxy Grenade is a close second). I guess I am a bit biased because I equipped all my soldiers with the cattle prods and successfully completed a base defense mission. :wink1: Still, I do not wait for an alien to drop unconscious on it's own early on. No sir. Instead, I take an active approach and try to purposefully stun an alien leader (or commander) before the first month is over. Without the rods, it's luck. With them, your chances improve dramatically. :knockout:

- Zombie

i was on a large scout once, heavily damaged, and i was annoyed. I had no losses, but the aliens were dangerous still. So, i open a door, and look at the two aliens inside.

1 with a pistol, one with a heavy plasma.

So, i use one of my men to kill the alien with the heavy plasma, and then i charge in with 5 troopers, all with stun rods out

i take 2 losses on the way, stun the alien, and, due to my careful planning and strategic shots places toward that soldier with a heavy plasma, i got a navigator, on the first 2 weeks

I dont' like proxies, if i put them down, then aliens will NOT move at all. NO matter where i put it, the aliens just stop moving over that tile. they'll stand on the edge forever, but won't go within one square. I am convinced that prox grenades are garbage

I feel your pain about the Proxies. They are rather buggy in the computer version. But use them in the Playstation version, and your views might change. They did for me. That is, when the aliens actually move. :wink1:

- Zombie

Odd, I've used proximity mines in the dos and windows versions of the game to great effect. The main bug occurs in the CE version with unspent mines, and the dud mines (Dos and CE) when saving a game with an armed mine, and then returning to it at a later date. (Zombie, could you confirm if the dud mines occur in the PSX version as well? Thanks.)

The cleanest fix for the proximity item bug is to save the game right after you return to the geoscape, quit the game, restart it and reload your game. This ensures that the area of memory set aside for your equipment table isn't filled with garbage data. Or more to the point, the game just doesn't know how to clear the 'armed proximity mine' flag or save it.

As for the dud mines with savegame - well, save just before you place a new mine and all the other have been used - unless you're sure you'll finish the map in the same sitting.

- NKF

Edited by NKF