XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Um ... not a bad idea ... something for v1+

How about creating one Operative that will allways be the highest ranking operative in the game (untill he/she dies). Then you would allways have a "stake" in the game as you would want your character to survive the conflict. In order to make it usefull to do this (and to make sure the players use them in battle) perhaps each character could choose 1 special ability from a small list.

For instance:

* Good Leader - Gives all operatives in same battle as character + 10 moral.

* Hard task-master - Gives all research & manufacturing in the same base where stationed +5%.

etc ...

However to stop it becoming to much like an RPG the character should NOT be able to get more abilities. OR perhaps the character as he/she gains experience the ability should work better (ie +5 moral at start, +20 when more experieced etc)

-wolfman

yes, possibly like the sims, lets say you get a set amount of points to put in. and every other skill starts out at, errr, not sure. but something along the lines of that, and an rpg character would be so awesome, but probly not xcom style

• 1 year later...

I always rename my soldiers anyway. I name the best guy after me, and then name them after my friends. It makes me a little more cautious when I send my best friend around the corner, and I tend to keep my guys longer.

I mean what do I care if Dimitry Petrov kills himself again? The name will come up again the next time I recruit anyway.

• 1 month later...
Character creation would be cool. Fallout style is best though. I rarely rename any soldiers. I do keep track of the good ones by adding *s after there name. 1 * for every five kills. The commander has like 8 *s in my current game.

• 1 month later...
I think the X-Com apoc. system of gaining experience through combat and training is good. Combine that with things like the 'perks' from Fallout and it'd be really good.

Perhaps if you start with one soldier with stats at all 10's and can distribute his stat points as you please, except his Psi value is random every time? :P