XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Apoc'd

Chances are you wont know how to do this/they are too hard coded into the game

But have you ever thought of changing the apparent item limit? O.o'

Or perhaps the Alien cap

The only reason those were in place was due to technological restrictions of the 90's.

soo I really think we should be holding you at gunpoint screaming "FIND IT" :D

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well type's pretty obvious: there's 'normal', 'road', 'people tube', 'wall' and 'people tube tower'. It's actual use is questionable ofcourse, and messing with those can crash the game... Perhaps interesting if someone wanted to do a full scale cityscape mod :)

Strength is also quite obvious: damage needed to destroy the tile. Though I don't know the formula xcom apoc uses to determine a succesfull attack.

Also note that 'Unknown 16' (as mentioned in the comments) determines if a vehicle can crash land on this tile. It's type needs to be set to 'normal' and Unknown 16 to '2'.

Guest Azrael
Question: Do the unknowns list 0 by default or are actually 0? Unknown 23 to 36 in Alien stats are almost always 0 (brainsucker and Micronoid have only two of them in a positive value, the rest are permanently 0)

Unknowns list the number apoc'd read from the exe and can be edited as any other field. Normally I declare fields that don't seem to have an immediate effect and are the same for every record as 'Unused', but since the alien stats editing is still BETA I haven't looked into it yet. As apocalypse is a very unfinished game it seems plausible that there are a good deal of these unused fields.

Hmm.. is there a chance that perhaps one of these unknowns on the aliens declares inventory type?

Anthropods and Skelitoids cant equip armour, so they must have a seperate inventory than the x-com agents do.

Perhaps we can give brainsuckers dimension launchers :P

Edit: I noticed that the size z(?) went in order of 123456789101112

I think this may have nothing to do with Size.. so Im testing this out by swapping the values of the hyperworm and brainsucker.. xD

I think it Might have to do with what it is labelled as in the game.

Ill tell you my results :D

Edit: Results were.. Inconclusive O_o..

Edited by NRN_R_Sumo1

I was checking to see if it swapped what they are labelled as to death of another creature

for codes I mean

this is probably confusing xP

Brainsucker pods "Die" and spawn brainsuckers

Multiworms die and spawn hyperworms.

I wanted to see if they launched worms at me D:

that would have been scary ^^'

Also, is there any way to change what they do indeed launch with brainsucker launchers?

Id much rather them use a rifle that a creature launcher.

You can edit weapon effects in the agent equipment sections. Though I don't know how much the brainsucker weapon is hard-coded, tried turning it into a grenade launcher (explosive brainsucker pods :) )but that didn't work.

Good luck with the unknown editing!

hey j'ordos- If I want to de-modify my game, is there a backup I can reload? and how?

and if possible, can I save my current modifications, to reload at a later time? I want a game to try without my super snipers and vehicle weapon mods, but be able to set them back up again.

My understanding is that UFO2P.bak and TACP.bak are my original backups. And if I rename it UFO2P.exe, and rename my current UFO2P.exe to UFO2P.mod (or something) then that's my modified setup? (doing the same for TACP.bak and .exe) Thanks in advance. I don't wanna lose my nicely editied firepower. :ar15:

Yep that's how it works alright, currently no automated file backup&recovery.

Anyway I'll be MIA for the next month (leaving on a holiday tomorrow) so don't expect any updates for a while, should this version be broken in some way you can get the last one from the strategycore files section. Same is true for roadwar. See ya guys!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

i tried to get Apoc'd working, but i always receive a error-message: "Unknown filesize (UFO2P.exe), switching to default setting (English). Warning: problems may occur!"

Since I can remember i had the wish to edit the Cityscape, and know this :( - the other map editors also doesn't worked.

Apoc'd is installed in game directory (D:\X-COM 3 - Apocalypse\), i am using the german original version of Apoc with full installation. The Filesize of UFO2P.EXE is 1.708.291 Bytes.

Can someone help me to get Apoc'd working?

Edit: Of course, a minute after sending this replay i got it to work (i had to rename UFO2P4.EXE to UFO2P.EXE). Now let's see if i am able to edit cityscape .. :)

Edited by bumsbomber

Hi bumsbomber, glad you got it to work! Is your ufo2p.exe file named ufo2p4.exe by default? Can't really follow you there.

Judging by your previous topic (http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...2028431&hl=) I'm afraid apoc'd may not do what you want, it is NOT a map editor (yet ;) ). You can edit cityscape aspects, such as research, manufacturing etc etc... not where each tile is placed.

Sorrow, I actually already implemented these features in the next version, but sadly the computer at home stopped working, and the version on this pc is outdated :( so the release will be postponed for a while.

Hi bumsbomber, glad you got it to work! Is your ufo2p.exe file named ufo2p4.exe by default? Can't really follow you there.
The install CD has both ufo2p.exe and ufo2p4.exe; with a working installer, one of these gets nominated to be ufo2p.exe, and the other is left behind.

Yes, there were both installed. But it makes in game no difference if i use renamed ufo2p4.exe or original ufo2p.exe - weird.

That's sad that's there no map editor integrated yet, but if you're working on it i have stille the hope to play someday in my own designed city :) (i hope you don't cancel your Apoc'd project or you'll finish it in my lifetime :P)

Sorrow, I actually already implemented these features in the next version, but sadly the computer at home stopped working, and the version on this pc is outdated :( so the release will be postponed for a while.

I'm sorry to hear about your computer, I hope he'll get better soon :) .

BTW.

Any luck finding the stats of guards, etc?

A map editor probably won't happen very soon, that would require a graphical user interface :(

Well I recently found a large amount of numbers similar to the alien stat numbers, I'll try to add them to the old version of apoc'd I have here and release it as a beta version or something. :)

edit: ack, this version seems to be broken. Guess it'll have to wait too...

Edited by j'ordos

Well I recently found a large amount of numbers similar to the alien stat numbers, I'll try to add them to the old version of apoc'd I have here and release it as a beta version or something. :)

Hmm...

Did you read that strategy guide text with unit stats in them that I posted some time ago?

Well I do have backups, but they're outdated as I only just finished (well still had to do some polishing) the new version when the computer died. Right now I'm on a replacement pc (belongs to my brother :) ) with an old and (so it seems) broken version, but during weektime I'm at college where I have yet another (old) pc with an old but working version, I think. Problem is I don't have much time there (studying ofcourse ;) )but I'll try to release the possible gaurd stats then. No promises though!

Yeah i have the guide, but I didn't really know how to look for them, how did the game store the min and max stats? And the guide only shows the average armour value, not for each part, which differs.

Anyone ever try to give the alien units stats greater than 255 with apoc'd? If the data I found for the gaurds is correct it should not be possible. I thought they were stored in two bytes, but it seems the first byte is the actual stat and the 2nd one the maximal increase for that stat, which is 0 for the aliens. Haven't checked it though.

Yeah i have the guide, but I didn't really know how to look for them, how did the game store the min and max stats? And the guide only shows the average armour value, not for each part, which differs.

The game is probably using only a "core" or "base" value in the executable for the guard stats. It then modifies these numbers upward which depends on skill level. And according the OSG for Apocalypse (by David Ellis) this is exactly what happens. As for the armor, I have no idea what is happening there. (But that could be solved by editing the executable). :D

Anyone ever try to give the alien units stats greater than 255 with apoc'd? If the data I found for the gaurds is correct it should not be possible. I thought they were stored in two bytes, but it seems the first byte is the actual stat and the 2nd one the maximal increase for that stat, which is 0 for the aliens. Haven't checked it though.

Alien stats are stored only as a single byte in the executable and by default, so should the guards. Therefore the max for any stat is 255 like you mentioned. :wink1:

If you have any info on the guards, send them my way and I'll try to decipher them for you. Otherwise I might just look into this today sometime and send you anything I find. :)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

the way Im thinking, the various Guards should be listed in there as just another "Alien" since all the units in the game seem to use the same system of statistics.

There could even be differant values for cultists than there are for average rent-a-cops, and a differance again for gangsters and police..

Keep looking, and good luck :thumbsup:

My bad, alien stats are stored in a 2 bit variable (not 1 as I mentioned before). This makes it a little more difficult to find those guard stats as MS-Edit doesn't allow search strings with 0 in them. Best place to start for the guard stats would be around by the alien stats. Will let you know if I find them.

BTW, just because alien stats are stored in 2 bits, it doesn't mean that the high bit (values greater than 256) is passed over into the battlescape. This happens a lot in EU. Quite often when you edit the high bit, that value is lost as the game file/save only has space for a 1 bit byte. ;)

- Zombie

Did you test it? If the data for the gaurds I found is correct (if you're interested, they seem to start at offset 3144530 (decimal, not MS-Edit offset :) ) in TACP.EXE and continue all the way up to the beginning of the alien stats, offset 3148028. Each record is 106 bytes long I think) it would most likely be only one byte long, while the 2nd byte is the maximal stat increase, but as the aliens all have fixed stats, there is no random element (except for the difficulty increase) so the 2nd byte always is 0, making it look like it's a 16 bit variable. Only the hit points seems to be stored in 2 bytes, which also explains the Unknown 12 field in the alien stats section of apoc'd. I knew it affected health somehow, but it'd simply be the hit point's 'maximal stat increase'. (confusing :s )

I'm quite sure the new numbers I found are also unit stats, the only problem is finding out which set of numbers represent which unit as there are 33 of 'em. Civilians, gangsters, cultists, police officers (and the various stronger units that got stripped out?), rent-a-cops (perhaps even one for each organisation?) and possibly even Xcom soldiers&technicians and such? So far my attempts at editing the data didn't do anything at all.

Let me know if you need more info Zombie, I might not be explaining it very clearly :Blush:

edit: succes! It seems you have to edit the values in UFO2P.EXE too (or even only those?), that's why it didn't work at first. I gave all 'unknown' unit types a base speed stat of 224. The starting units and humans in the hire list were unchanged, androids and mutants did have a speed stat of 224+ though. Guess the stats for the normal human are still missing, probably just missed the first entry so no big deal. Cultists and civilians were all changed too (used a savegame editor to max out soldiers for quick mind probing), though they only had a 112+ speed stat (novice difficulty level).

edit2: yep, missed the first entry. In fact, it seems unknowns 1-8 in apoc'd actually belong to the unit before, as they're very different for the first entry (humans)

Edited by j'ordos

edit: succes! It seems you have to edit the values in UFO2P.EXE too (or even only those?), that's why it didn't work at first. I gave all 'unknown' unit types a base speed stat of 224. The starting units and humans in the hire list were unchanged, androids and mutants did have a speed stat of 224+ though. Guess the stats for the normal human are still missing, probably just missed the first entry so no big deal. Cultists and civilians were all changed too (used a savegame editor to max out soldiers for quick mind probing), though they only had a 112+ speed stat (novice difficulty level).

LOL, I was just about to mention that the stats need to be changed in UFO2P as well. Those values are what gets carried over into a mission. Good job j'ordos! :)

- Zombie

Now there's still the matter of deciphering which set is which unit. i thought I'd be able to find a few by looking at the damage modifier byte, but it seems they're all set to 0 (=human damage modifiers) except for one which is set to 22 (=gun emplacement). Strange as the android and mutants definately were edited too, does it mean the android and mutant damage modifiers aren't used? Needs confirmation. Edited by j'ordos

I wouldn't say the damage modifiers are unused for those units (don't know about the androids and mutants though). The damage modifier group of 0 was probably set by the programmers so that all NPC's and humanoids have the same resistances (makes sense really). There are some subtle differences in the stats themselves which might allow us to figure out the ordering without resorting to editing (which would be a huge task). Lemme look a little closer and report back. :)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

Thanks Zombie, glad you're always there to help me out =b

I found a list of text strings in the exe, they appear before the names of the aliens and seem to match the current known list more-or-less:

Unit list						String list

X-COM Agent (Human)			X-COM Agent
X-COM Biochemist			   X-COM Biochemist
X-COM Mechanic				 X-COM Mechanic
X-COM Quantum Physicist		X-COM Quantum Physicist
Unknown 5					Gang leader
Gun Emplacement (?)				Corporate Boss
Unknown 7					Cult Leader
Unknown 8					Politician
Unknown 9					Chief of Police
Unknown 10					Corporate hood
Unknown 11					Police
Unknown 12					Gangster
Unknown 13					Cultist
Unknown 14					Building security
X-COM Agent (Android)			Android
X-COM Agent (Hybrid)			Alien Grey
Unknown 17					Upper Class Female
Unknown 18					Upper Class Female
Unknown 19					Upper Class Female
Unknown 20					Upper Class Male
Unknown 21					Upper Class Male
Unknown 22					Upper Class Male
Unknown 23					Civilian Female
Unknown 24					Civilian Female
Unknown 25					Civilian Female
Unknown 26					Civilian Male
Unknown 27					Civilian Male
Unknown 28					Civilian Male
Unknown 29					Lower Class Male
Unknown 30					Lower Class Male
Unknown 31					Lower Class Male
Unknown 32					Lower Class Female
Unknown 33					Lower Class Female
Unknown 34					Lower Class Female

Note how the Lower class males&females are in a different order. Might have something to do with male civilians sounding like girls and such?

edit: FYI, the data (probably) starts at offset 1398132 in UFO2P.EXE. each record is 106 bytes, same structure as the alien stats.

edit2: note I didn't test the X-COM Mechanic&X-COM Quantum Physicist, but as the stats looked the same I assumed I could trust the ordering.

Edited by j'ordos

Looks like you nailed it Dr J.:)

I'm used to finding things in an executable by brute force, but you employ a different method: finesse. Thank heavens for text strings which are in order. =b

- Zombie

on the note of Resistances- The Android resistances are indeed used, as I enjoy running through flames and explosions with my beasts of burden.

As for the Psi resistance shown in there, Im fairly sure that is unused in the game, Im pretty sure that was going to be in use for the Psi grenades which were never finished.

That bit about the male civilians sounding girlish makes sense to me, perhaps it was a simple misorder in which I could easily fix if you were to specify which graphics file when to which civilian ;)

That would ALSO be highly useful for my cultist mod, as I could create terror missions and swap around aliens with Civilians. :D

EDIT: J'ordos, Ive found something quite intrigueing when messing around with game files :D

I turned the Alien world into the human world,but it seems the palette used for the human world isnt available to me xD..

If you know the name of the file I would really like to know :) thanks.

note: I had to use Apoc'd to give you one of the alien buildings so that the game would even load up ^^'..

It went to a black screen and tried to do a search for a free purchasable building but couldnt find one,

In theory Im guessing you could make all buildings purchasable and wind up with the senate ;)

Could use this info for your own megapol mod and swap the maps around so that you could defend a megapol station rather than a warehouse xD..

If you go into "Map View" you can tell very clearly that it is the alien world, although the colours dont represent it at all.

..Also, the base I gave is fricken trippy P:

backups.rar

Medium_Level.rar

Edited by NRN_R_Sumo1

Looks like you nailed it Dr J.:)

I'm used to finding things in an executable by brute force, but you employ a different method: finesse. Thank heavens for text strings which are in order. =b

- Zombie

Thank God for laziness :)

Well I'm not too sure about those unused unit types, especially since the 'Corporate Boss' uses the Gun Emplacement resistance type and also has 100 psi defense... Only problem is testing such a thing ofcourse. *hint* ;)

on the note of Resistances- The Android resistances are indeed used, as I enjoy running through flames and explosions with my beasts of burden.

As for the Psi resistance shown in there, Im fairly sure that is unused in the game, Im pretty sure that was going to be in use for the Psi grenades which were never finished.

Are they wearing armor? Because if they do the game uses the damage resistance from the relevant armor type. edit: at least I think they would...

No idea about the civvies and palette file for now. :( Definately something to look into tho :)

IIRC the latest megapol savegame version already started you with a police station and allowed you to buy megapol buildings no?

Edited by j'ordos

I got the stats from Apoc'd and it seems that humans and mutants have 0 resistances to all, while androids have minor resistances to certain things like stun gas and flames.

*shakes fist about civvy palletes* Mabye we should just make a huge list of what files are what, and show a small image of each file. D:

Xcom3 modding needs its own forum imo. D:

When you defend a building from an alien invasion, it goes to the terrain type unless its a direct base attack

Occassionally I get Indirect attacks on my base, thus leading to the megapol station being defended as a warehouse or slums. x:

Good news NRN, I just found which byte sets the units graphic, so you won't have to swap files around anymore :) I succesfully changed an xcom agent to a police unit, and it seems the graphic also 'overrides' the armor parts, so you can admire your snappy uniforms even under those extreme combat situations ;)

I also found what would seem to be the bytes which declare the weapon sets the unit uses (I assume apocalypse uses the same system UFO:EU used more or less), though tests so far have been unsuccesful.

Next version is nearly done, the one I have on this computer only lacked organization relations editing, which will have to wait until I recover the other pc's HD, or until I feel like adding it in from scratch again :)

When you defend a building from an alien invasion, it goes to the terrain type unless its a direct base attack

Occassionally I get Indirect attacks on my base, thus leading to the megapol station being defended as a warehouse or slums. x:

It could be I forgot to set the building type of the Xcom base back to police station after making it available for purchase. Oh well it'll be fixed in the next version :)

Edited by j'ordos

no swapping files?!??...

Whatttttt... thats all Im good for xD!

Besides, it means people can customize what I give to them to a further extent =D

I suppose that this would be fairly useful anyways, as I need this information for the images on the side in the vehicle equip folders p:

Good news NRN, I just found which byte sets the units graphic, so you won't have to swap files around anymore :) I succesfully changed an xcom agent to a police unit, and it seems the graphic also 'overrides' the armor parts, so you can admire your snappy uniforms even under those extreme combat situations ;)

I also found what would seem to be the bytes which declare the weapon sets the unit uses (I assume apocalypse uses the same system UFO:EU used more or less), though tests so far have been unsuccesful.

Wow, it sounds great :D . Great job, j'ordos :D .

The long wait is over ;)

Apoc'd 2.31a released, check first post for details, as usual (should clean it up one of these days).

If anyone has a better idea on what to name those 'max [stat] increase' fields in the unit stats section be sure to tell me, currently it looks a bit chaotic and it doesn't really tell you just what exactly it does. (it means that a random number between 0 and the value stated will be added to the base stat.)

The savedgames -> funding section mainly contains a funding and funds history log. I don't think the game uses it but well, it's neat I suppose (the beta version showed a graph detailing the funding&funds progress in the UFOpaedia section, but for some reason it was scrapped in the final version)

Edited by j'ordos