XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Novice Needs Help

twinner

Hi,

I'm what u would call, a bit of a novice with computers, (can use word to write stuff and make it look good etc. but my skills dont extend much further than that :unsure: )

I remember playing ufo on my m8s amiga 1200 and loved it, so I've now managed to buy x-com collection off ebay to play on my laptop that runs with XP. Problem is I cant play the game :Tantrum:

I've managed to install whats on the disc ok but when I try to play the game the screen turns into a mess. I've already looked at the topics of how to fix this problem and when I try 2 download the fixes I get the screens that say that this thread has been removed or that the web page cannot be found.

I apologise in advance 4 sounding like an incompetent fukwit, but I really do love this game and would appreciate any help 2 be able to play it again

cheers

The collectors edition is still buggy (but kinda playable) under XP even if you manage to fix the garbled graphics.

I've found that the best way is to buy or otherwise aquire the old dos versions of the x-com games. Then use DosBox http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/ to run X-Com.

Dosbox can be a bit of a pain to setup if you are as you say a bit of a novice - i would recomend reading the readme file and FAQ. The effort will be worth it i promise... you'll get a perfect emulation and you can easily slow things down to run at the correct speed.

If you need a hand just send me a PM and i'll try and help

Right, managed to get the patch. Now I just need to know what to do to make it work.

I need to have the readme file translated into dumbass, because it makes no real sense to me

First, unzip the xcom_bugfix091 collection. Open up the xcom1 folder. Inside it are two files. Select and copy both of them (in the xcom1 folder click "Edit", then "Select All", then "Edit" again and "Copy"). Proceed to open up the main game folder (the folder which contains the Game_1 to Game_10 folders, GEODATA, GEOGRAPH etc). Now paste those two files the main game folder (click "Edit" then "Paste"). You should now see patch.dll as well as ldr_XCOM.exe. Instead of running your game by double clicking the game executable, double click on ldr_XCOM1. That should run the game and fix the problems. :)

- Zombie

:D Zombie you are my hero!!!! =b

Thanks alot, I'm a very happy camper now.

I've been gettin wound up reading all the threads with gr8 tactical ideas etc and not being able to play the game,

Thanks 2 every1 else who has helped me out and I look forward 2 speaking and sharing ideas on this forum with everybody else