XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Base Texture Task Force

FabGuy

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. It was in the folder I was pointed to. And even if it's not a facility like... say... training - it is supposed to be a test. I'm trying to see if the job can be done within the timescope and if I have the tools to get the textures into OGRE-format.

Actually there should be some facilitys where soldiers can spend their spare time, it's just a bit hard to implement in base defense layout.

Isn't this the basketball court Jim69 made, which would be used in the terrain of terror missions?

Having looked around for it, it definitely seems so: [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=705&st=210"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=705&st=210[/url]

although it's quite an old version, there's a pic of what it 'should' be here: [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=705&st=350"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=705&st=350[/url]

(edit: you'll have to scroll down to see them) Edited by j'ordos

Either Drewid or Vaaish have the facility models, I'm not aware of their location on the server. They really should be uploaded regardless, but PM either of them to get copies.

So long as the texture is in png format you should be fine Fabguy. www.ogre3d.org has export scripts for several major 3d apps, which will convert a textured model into 2 files, .mesh and .material IIRC. Check with Deimos about total texture size for facilities, but we're starting with 1024x1024 for smaller models and will scale the textures as needed. You might get 2048x2048, but Drewid can answer what is needed as he's textured at least 3 facilities so far.

Just let us know what issues you're having, we might have dealt with them before and can help you out. Also, if you can shoot me a copy of the facilities, I can load them up in the 3D xnet viewer linked in my sig. I only have a couple so far.

No issues except the basic MAYA is a pain-in-the-arse-stay-in-our-file-format-bubble program.

For some reason the OBJ files aren't importing right and unfortunately I really don't have any other options as far as exporting goes. Basically if you are in a multi software suite situation Maya sucks since it lacks prettymuch ay method of moving models reliably between the various platforms.

There are 3ds exporters out there for maya but they are rather expensive and beyond the scope of this.

I've been trying to convert the received .obj files to a format readable and usable.

So far I've tried:

Crossroads V1.0 available at [url="http://www.europa.com/~keithr/crossroads/"]Crossroads 3D Website[/url] which can't read the format properly. The preview it provides shows that malfunction.

Then I tried 3DWin V4.91 Shareware available at [url="http://file:///F:/Program%20Files/3dwin4/html_help/help_3dwin.html#Fileformats"]3DWin Website[/url]. I was able to convert the mesh to a readable format but the result wasn't an improvement on the built-in routines.

Milkshape 3D Unregistered Version showes some success. Not being very familiar with it I've tried transforming the mesh to 3DS from there.

Now I have a mesh in 3D Studio MAX 4.0 and am trying to separate portions of the mesh to put textures on them.

I'll see if that work is easier in 3DS or in Milkshape.

I use Milkshape as well, shoot me over the facilities and I can convert them for you if you like. If there are groupings within the mesh (submeshes?), you can use lithunwrap in conjunction with Milkshape. It lets you take each group and organize the UV map nicely, and then save that in various formats. It works with ms3d and obj files by default, so you might have luck with the original obj files there. [url="http://www.unwrap3d.com/"]http://www.unwrap3d.com/[/url] has the current version, but that costs cash I think. I did a search for lithunwrap and found a slightly older version that was free. I can email it to you if you can't google it, just let me know.

Can we use Bump Mapping on the textures?
it looks a bit flatted.. will the graphic engine support it?

Yes you can, however I think the best way to do bump mapping is starting with a VERY HIGH DETAILED MODEL and then simplify it using Melody or some of that software...

Drew any industry tip about it?

Greetings
Red Knight

Guest drewid
[quote name='FabGuy' date='Jun 15 2004, 08:14 AM']I've been trying to convert the received .obj files to a format readable and usable.

So far I've tried:

Crossroads V1.0 available at [url="http://www.europa.com/~keithr/crossroads/"]Crossroads 3D Website[/url] which can't read the format properly. The preview it provides shows that malfunction.

Then I tried 3DWin V4.91 Shareware available at [url="http://file:///F:/Program%20Files/3dwin4/html_help/help_3dwin.html#Fileformats"]3DWin Website[/url]. I was able to convert the mesh to a readable format but the result wasn't an improvement on the built-in routines.

Milkshape 3D Unregistered Version showes some success. Not being very familiar with it I've tried transforming the mesh to 3DS from there.

Now I have a mesh in 3D Studio MAX 4.0 and am trying to separate portions of the mesh to put textures on them.

I'll see if that work is easier in 3DS or in Milkshape.[/quote]
I'll start converting them via Max Polytrans tomorrow, assuming I can find the install discs :D .

Keep hassling me about it. I'll fire one over at first to see if we can get the path working.

As far as bump mapping goes I've hand-painted bump maps before, and used high-res models to generate normal maps, but believe it or not I've not done a bump map like that. I guess there must be plugins to do that. or if the final mapping is fairly simple you could just planar map a greyscale gradient from the side of the object and take a render of it. That wouldn't work with everything though.

Tha cool thing about working with high res models is that wasted polys, and intersections and stuff don't matter. You just throw stuff together. Edited by drewid

Breunor sent me the fusion facility in 3DS-Format which allowed me working on the texturing.

Not having any groups makes it a... errr... challenge to get the faces I need :wacko:

Well... at least I'm not bored :hammer:

Okay... best practice appears to be:

select all faces you don't want and then use the "invert selection" to get the stuff you really want.

I tried selecting the faces I really wanted and it takes AGES and most of the time you just miss the face you want. :hammer:

To give you an idea of what I'm doing ATM I have attached a picture. It showes the fusion facility. The textures are NOT applied yet. I only put some generic textures on there to give you an idea.

if you have any questions as to what particular areas of the facilities are let me know. (stuff like control rooms, monitors, generators etc)

Guest drewid
You might need to sub-devide and stick in a few more polys to help get around UV distortions. I guess that's what you mean anyhow. A few more polygons won't hurt.

Also keep and eye out for duplicate poly's or gaps as you go through, it's far to easy to miss the odd one when you are modelling. At work we regularly swap and check each others stuff for things like that. Edited by drewid

I noticed several faces along the tops of walls which were not welded in there just right, as well as overlapping faces on the floor near the doorways. They stand out a bit in Milkshape, but it seems they aren't noticeable in other apps, so hopefully ogre won't mind either.

Guest drewid
It might make the shapes less efficient, but not so you would really notice on a PC.
Other platforms use different significant decimals in floating point, or may round position values to make them more compact, so a "hanging vert" may cause a hole to open up if it happens to be in the wrong place. :cussing: consoles.
Doesn't affect us that way.

BUT...

RK, Are we going to be stripping our models? :naughty:

Because of the way the mapping is being done, and because these are very low poly, they aren't going to strip very well I think. I would imagine we will get strips of 2-30 polys, hardly worth doing. Mind you there's nothing fast going on on this screen so it shouldn't be an issue :rolleyes:

In fact the lastest thing that I read is that with the current crop of cards, there is not such a significant gain between polygon soup and stripped models. So I wont bother to add strippify to the models pipeline if that is not needed.

Greetings
Red Knight

cool I can actually see what you;ve done this time :)

it's getting tehre though my only concern are the shading groups on there since they appear to have been lost in the transfer. if you are using 3dsmax could you try selecting the entire mesh and running a 30 degree auto shading grop on it... that should clean up that cannon nicely and bring out more of the detail in the pipes etc.

what do you need the programers, mainly me to do Ive got ogre compiled and working also starting to read all the tutorials and docs. i also have Axiom compiled and reading its docs. but i have some missing files to see the demos in action. Also it seems that the dotscene editor Redknight refered to isn't out yet. if it is let me know where to get it. If you need me to help out on anything at the moment let me know.

Well... I'm still suspicious that OGRE will like the model and the UVW-maps and the materials.

So... I'd love you to import this very model and show it. Just make one picture with it.

Send me a PM including your e-mail, telling me what you'll need for that task, please.

It would be a pain to do that texturing to hear that it does not work. :huh?:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I was thinking the other day how on earth are you making these base modules destructible? I mean shooting one spot should destroy it if we are following the original plan. Now the whole facility is one model and I don't understand how are you gonna do it? And another thing, if you blow something up, the floor should darken a bit. How are you gonna do it?

[quote name='Blankstar' date='Jun 30 2004, 01:08 AM']what do you need the programers, mainly me to do Ive got ogre compiled and working also starting to read all the tutorials and docs. i also have Axiom compiled and reading its docs. but i have some missing files to see the demos in action. Also it seems that the dotscene editor Redknight refered to isn't out yet. if it is let me know where to get it. If you need me to help out on anything at the moment let me know.[/quote]
No it is in the SVN Repository of Antiarc (the one that is making it).. you can grab the sources using TortoiseSVN (notice it is not CVS) doing a checkout from here:

svn://antiarc.net/var/svn/axiom/worldeditor

more details in this thread: [url="http://axiomengine.sourceforge.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=224&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30"]http://axiomengine.sourceforge.net/modules...er=asc&start=30[/url]

I dont know why TortoiseSVN do not let me download it, but I have a pretty serious firewall in here that may be causing trouble. If anyone of you can confirm that you cant download I will contact Antiarc about it.

Greetings
Red Knight

Red Knight Thanks for the link but i was unable to get it i will look into it when i get back from going up to New York next tuesday. I will be back i will have my comp and work on getting the models into ogre to view. im not that familiar with ogre but i am working on it. i have a hallway file for 3dsmax that i will try to convert and load into ogre after i succesfully get my test program working.
sorry im going away ill be back july 4 and will hopefully pm you and tell you what i need and will be able to load it into ogre

Well im back
RedKNight did you figure out the DotScene editor

Fabguy I need all the models you textured in 3dsmax. I need the .3ds and any texture files aka .png .jpg that you used. What would really make my life easier is if you multi material the models. everything that uses something different have as a sub object of the whole if you cant do this ill do my best at it. (IF you know how to export the model out from 3dsmax to xml to a .mesh for use in ogre than just do that). if not sub material it and i will do the rest. If you cant submaterial it ill do it all and load it.

Somehow I've lost your 1st of July post, I got no response from the PM I sent antiarc... I will be posting tomorrow on the thread regarding the DotSceneEditor SVN link so I can know if the server is working or not.

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='Blankstar' date='Jul 6 2004, 05:19 AM']Well im back
RedKNight did you figure out the DotScene editor

Fabguy I need all the models you textured in 3dsmax. I need the .3ds and any texture files aka .png .jpg that you used. What would really make my life easier is if you multi material the models. everything that uses something different have as a sub object of the whole if you cant do this ill do my best at it. (IF you know how to export the model out from 3dsmax to xml to a .mesh for use in ogre than just do that). if not  sub material it and i will do the rest. If you cant submaterial it ill do it all and load it.[/quote]
Alright... :blink:

Being all into learning at the moment my brain is obviously overwhelmed. You've presented so many options... I can't choose. :huh:

I will come back to this after my tests. This will be on 18th of July. Until than I won't be doing anything on the models anyway.

Okay... on your PM:
I understand that you received the .material and it works as it should. There are multiple textures in there, right?
And the .3ds file I sent was not okay, right? I've seen that there should be a way to export it to .mesh. But I haven't looked into it yet.

[quote name='Puasonen' date='Jun 30 2004, 08:24 AM']I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I was thinking the other day how on earth are you making these base modules destructible? I mean shooting one spot should destroy it if we are following the original plan. Now the whole facility is one model and I don't understand how are you gonna do it? And another thing, if you blow something up, the floor should darken a bit. How are you gonna do it?[/quote]
Well... I for one am making a lot of sub-objects out of that as this allows me to apply the texturing more easily. So it would be possible to remove or replace some of the objects you see. Like those yellow-black tubes that are going to get a different texture later on :rolleyes:

Another way would be to apply textures as needed for the burn marks or something.

Okay thanks red Knight

Fabguy. yah all the textures are in the .material file and it will work fine. but the .material file tells the ogre engine how to decorate (lack of better term) the model. the model needs to be converted to a .mesh for it to be loaded. now the problem i ran into was that the .3ds didnt come textured. it was just the model in its plain and simple form not submaterialed and textured. I dont know which save file saves the submaterials and textures i think it is the .max(dont quote me im not very good at 3dsmax yet) if you could send me the file that when i open it in 3dsmax it is textured ill be fine.

Fabguy about the damages that will be pretty easy to do. depending on the intensity of the damages it could range from burn marks to removal of an object. The removal being the harder of the two. showing burnmarks would be easy as you have a burn mark texture to be loaded to a submaterial. all i do is tell the graphics engine to do is look at a different .material to texture the model with the different .png or .jpg which ever on you used. but the case remains i still need a .mesh file. This is the ogre formatt for the model. i cant use the .3ds for the model it needs to be converted to a .mesh. but with the .3ds i have it isn't submaterialed properly to use the .material file you sent me.

hey guys, sorry about my absence. I guess I'm supposed to be one of the programmers on this task, but I'm pretty much starting from scratch right now. how should i start out, and what should I be doing/learning? I have visual studio installed and that's about it. perhaps i could communicate with someone through PMs about the programming side of things?

Okay well here we go I dont have C++.net i have C++ 6 so im using the sharpDevelopment to compile. it has a nice import feature. However i am recieving errors of files not found and some damn exception error when running chronos.exe so hopefully you can do better. I have the files under my c:/..(linktomyusername)/MyDocuments/xenocide/axiom/antiarc/all the files. Maybe someone else con do this. I will be posting a self extracting .rar it is three files since i can only post 4.88 mb max. Let me know if anyone else has better luck i left my .cmbx files for C#.

At what i stand at right now is i now a decent amount about ogre. Loading logic flow and what kinda needs to be done to do stuff. (the coding is long on some stuff i noticed compared to axiom).

Axiom i havent read thru a lot yet. (not like it included much either.) but it is really similar to ogre following the same concepts just different code a lot less it seems. so it should be really easy getting into it.

Finnally the DotScene editor which is becoming a pain in the donkey :hammer: Maybe someone can help me get it working.

without adew here it is have fun
BLankstar