XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Next Step In The Process Of Porting The Base

cyberdrift

Hi,

I am currently working on fitting the xenocide code base in CVS into the new code base structure (i.e. inside the "xenocide" directory). I will create the necessary Dev-C++ project files and start to work on the Linux/Mac makefiles so that it builds on all platforms. The rest of the projects are going to need Mac and Linux specific work in order to build correctly. Once that is done, I am assuming we are good to replace our code base in CVS. I will burn a CD of what is currently there, and start the replacement work this weekend. If there are any comments/observations/objections/declarations of open hostilities please feel free to post them.

Without starting another war (since hostilities have already broken out on the UML front :unsure: ) there was discussion on what we wanted to do on the xenocide code base. One school of thought was each sub directory would create a static library that would be separately linked into the main exe. The other was that the O or OBJ file from the sub directories would all link directly into the main EXE. I realize that its "almost" the same thing, but it requires different work to reach each of those objectives. Can we get a consensus now?

ADDENDUM:

To be fair, I'm probably starting a fight on the compiler/tools front, so I should keep my mouth shut on the UML front.

Edited by cyberdrift

I prefer a library per subdirectory, to keep the whole thing a bit clearer. It will be better to have multiple small project files, then one huge. Easier to manage.

Static Libs behave far better, and it has the plus that you keep your -unrelated- projects separated, for example the new NetworkLib i am working on, will be use by Xenocide but it wont be limited to that use.... So keeping things separated is better for others that want to use that without xenocide source. For example the live update facility is on the same front...

Greetings

Red Knight