? ART- VIPER: Merged Topics

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does me alone count as popular demand?!

I personally would say that was great. Except that his armor seems to have grown down hie tail again. If he has armor on his tail, surely it should be on the top, if anything, not the bottom.

And what are those red hexagon things on his gums?

Lots of posts since I last read this thread, so some of my comments might sound dated...

I really like the looks of the snakeman Demich posted a page or two back, it gives a good idea of "mass" in the body. I think that j'ordos' can also get that look by being wider left-to-right than it is thick front-to-back. Since j'ordos' pic is just the profile you can't see that yet.

I think having the head lower than the shoulders makes sense, it looks more like a strike position. When moving, the head can extend out as part of the animation as well.

As for movement, the snakeman should definitely stay upright when moving, otherwise it will be whipping up and down for small movements and be harder to animate IMO. Imagine you're looking straight down on the snakeman from above. The portion of the body on the ground would be in a S shape, and to move the rear half of the curve would push the forward half ahead. Then the rear half is pulled forward back into the original position. IMO it will be easier to animate this model than a normal biped since we know what normal human gaits look like. This upright movement is already done successfully in Starcraft with the hydralisk, so everybody will accept it as the norm.

I think the current body looks good, I think it would also look good if the neck was of equal length as the head, and almost as thick front to back. Since the head is wider than it is thick, the neck will still be smaller then.

Guest Jim69

I like that last one, it's definatly progressing. It has that "I'm gonna kick the sh!t out of you, eat your children and poisen your planet" look about him :)

BTW, it looks like he is sayin "Hey, you got ma money? GIMMIE MY MONEY NOW!!!"

Maybe the arms could be a little more muscular tho, just IMO of cause

Edited by Jim69

That last one is pretty good, I think.  It would be nice to see the other arm holding the heavy plasma, but I know how hard hands are.

If you add a tongue, make it triple forked, arrange radially (just to make it more alien).

-The Captain

Besides, it's a Pistol, and the hand disappears in the grip, if I'm not mistaken.

I was only kidding about the tongue, but I could try that.

I personally would say that was great. Except that his armor seems to have grown down hie tail again. If he has armor on his tail, surely it should be on the top, if anything, not the bottom.

And what are those red hexagon things on his gums?

I thought you said: 'the tail armor looks better', so I changed it back. Seems like I misunderstood you then :rolleyes:

As for those hexagon thingies, I'm just playing around a bit with texturing it, and this made it look some more alien. If it's not wanted that can be ditched of course.

Maybe I should change the position of his hand somewhat nex time ^_^

Edited by j'ordos

:LOL: Your right too.

That last one is pretty good, I think.  It would be nice to see the other arm holding the heavy plasma, but I know how hard hands are.

Can we try some variation on the hands, just for fun. Dont worry if its not quite right.

I thought you said: 'the tail armor looks better', so I changed it back. Seems like I misunderstood you then

My mistake, i wasnt clear in that statement.

As for those hexagon thingies, I'm just playing around a bit with texturing it, and this made it look some more alien. If it's not wanted that can be ditched of course.

What does anyone else think?

The teeth(sp?) look odd.

Well, u never gonna c it in Battlescape ne way, it sorta looks like braces

He seems to need 'em...

I'll post a pic that shows how the teeth would look more snake like, more natural...

The green line is the way snakes have their teeth and the red line is how you have 'em...

post-29-1060282851_thumb.jpg

1. technically it's not a snake :hammer:

2. When moving the head I just quickly rearranged the teeth to fit (more or less) again.

so don't look at the teeth for now, but your comment is viable.

Edited by j'ordos

I think if the back of the head were widened it would work fine.

As for the side view I like it how it is for the most part. When we actually model it we might have to play around with the tail section and hands but I like it.

Here. Let's play a game: find the seven differences ^_^

1. Hands redone

2. Teeth changed

3. neck thicker

4. armor on tail removed

5. bulkier arms

6. cannon moved

7. tired of comparing.

Looks good with that version. We will probably mess with the tail a little as we model the character to make it a bit more smooth.

You mean: redo it? Can do ^_^

Well, that's to say: Can try <_>

Well, you could say that it's part of the teeth, but still it could be mentioned :unsure: Seven is actually the armor on its back that goes a little further down

finalsnake2.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

I like that. If it isn't too big of a problem, could you make it orange like in original :rolleyes: Just to see a little bit what it would look like. I like those original aliens. Green is just so.. you know.. earthlike, not that alien type..

Ooops, looks like it was in the sun a bit too long. :D

The thumb is much better.

Just to make sure, he isnt trying to hold the pistol with two hands is he? He just happens to have the hand in that place yes?

Just to make sure, he isnt trying to hold the pistol with two hands is he? He just happens to have the hand in that place yes?

That's what I was thinking when drawing it, but you can just as well say it tries to hold its pistol with two hands, doesn't matter much now does it (it might not be the best way to hold a pistol with two hands but maybe he's just not the brightest from the batch ^_^ )

Edited by j'ordos

I think it looks better as orange! Plz tell me you agree all!

Yes I know, but for good effect I'd have to draw that pistol for real and I didn't feel like it. So I put the other hand in front of it

Bah, it seems my laziness is infectious.

I think it looks better as orange! Plz tell me you agree all!

Better? Dunno, like em both. Perhaps we can use them both (and maybe more colours too).

Didnt someone (jordos maybe?) mention using different skins for different ranks?

How easy is it to change the colour jordos?

Since things like the color, teeth size, and hand positions are irrelevent for concept art (IMO), is there anything in the 'major areas' that people think needs work? All of this stuff is easily dealt with during the modeling process, so let's not waste j'ordos' time having him switch this/that back and forth. IMO the design looks good and is a done deal.

Unless some other major questions come up, j'ordos could you also create a front view of the unit, perhaps with the tail section just sticking straight down? I'm sure you've seen the model pose where the arms are sticking straight out to the sides, that's the kind of pose I'm thinking of. Then we can discuss any design ideas regarding that view before considering it a finished concept.

Thanks! :D

Guest Jim69
I agree, IMO it is rdy 2 model as is, the little details tha are left would be easier 2 c when it is modelled and are all scaling issues that are easy 2 do in 3D.

I agree, the ORANGE one is ready for modeling.. ^_^

I agree, the ORANGE one is ready for modeling..

Well that depends, what kind of enviorment the Snakemen are born into. 'Cause the skin color is usually a defence mechanism and I dowd that the Aliens would have spend time altering the skin color of the Snakemen, unless it would have given the Snakemen an advantage on the battlefield...

Remember; in nature, nothing is useless...

I think it would be nice to have the skin color vary for each snakeman. After all, humans have varying skin colors, why can't aliens? Maybe we can call them snakepeople, since ther might be some snakewomen in there too... ^_^

I think it would be nice to have the skin color vary for each snakeman. After all, humans have varying skin colors, why can't aliens?

True, but there allways seems to be a reason for such variance, climate and such. However, since things like skin color changing gradually after age is not unheard of in nature(IIRC), this may be the case with the Snakemen...

Maybe we can call them snakepeople, since ther might be some snakewomen in there too...

Yeah, and instead of Human, Hupeople..? :huh: Silly English...

And IIRC all the aliens are clones, so they are either all men or all women. Or was the TFTD?

btw, the "snakepeople" suggestion was a joke...

If there's anyone here that's good with photoshop, please PM me asap about a relatively quick project regarding the X-Net interface. It needs a few tweaks asap for the next beta... calling all artists...

Guest Jim69
True, but there allways seems to be a reason for such variance, climate and such. However, since things like skin color changing gradually after age is not unheard of in nature(IIRC), this may be the case with the Snakemen...

Usually, but not always. Aliens don't adhere to any rules we "think" we know. The colour change has been done alright in this game Conquest Earth, an RTS about aliens invading. They were silicon based and their shells harderend in our atmosphere.

Guest Jim69

So it's a SnakeSheman :LOL:

I thought they were surgically "altered", but this aint gonna effect the models, just the CTD so I'll shut up now :)

Aliens don't adhere to any rules we "think" we know.

:huh: So evolution only works on Earth, eh? That also would mean that gravity doesn't affect them, or boundries of physics... Odd, they seem more like gods, than an advanced race...

Sorry 'bout bitching, but nature works the way it works everywhere, while the aliens should indeed be alien, they still should look and feel "natural," plausable(sp?)...

Guest Jim69
Aliens don't adhere to any rules we "think" we know.

:huh: So evolution only works on Earth, eh? That also would mean that gravity doesn't affect them, or boundries of physics... Odd, they seem more like gods, than an advanced race...

Sorry 'bout bitching, but nature works the way it works everywhere, while the aliens should indeed be alien, they still should look and feel "natural," plausable(sp?)...

? If u r saying that races as strong as Snakemen would die out if they didn't evolve their skin colour, then I guess u r right. Last time I checked Evolution had a small something 2 do with Survival of the fittest. I'm sure the snake skin colour didn't effect the b4, and that's if u overlook the fact that they are probably the only fully scentient life on whatever planet they came from. I dunno bout u, but I don't Camoflague into anything. Or should humans float around too coz we don't have built in camo paint :P

Basically, there are so many different variants of defences that u can't just single out colour camoflague and say "Every being in the entire universe uses this" because noone has a clue. Not every animal on Earth uses camoflague, they survived without it so why can't a 6ft muscular, intelligent Snake?

Last time I checked Evolution had a small something 2 do with Survival of the fittest.

Well it is that. And I never said the skin color was bad, but that we should consider the origins of the Snakemen. For example, as the Snakemen are sentient, if they are from a harsh planet with a hot sun and a thin atmosphere(compared to earth that is) they might have black skin, etc.

I just wanted to remind everyone that we have to keep cause and effect in mind when designing these critters. But also, remember; this is fiction, we can make a custom cause, to fit the good looking effect...

I never said that it needs camoflague, but it could never hurt, could it? -_-

Still, you do have a point. Also, I agree on the silver colored skin, it looks cool, but then again so does the red and black, green is nice too... :LOL:

btw, the "snakepeople" suggestion was a joke...

And hupeople wasn't? :huh:

Nevermind :LOL:

Edited by Aosar

BTW, he holds that pistol wrong: all the mechanisms are INSIDE the gun. He most stick his hand inside the one he holds atm...

...right?

Its right hand is inside the gun, but you can't see that as the other one is in front of it, as two hands didn't fit in that gun ^_^

That, and I'm too lazy ATM to redraw that pistol to look good with a hand in it :zzzzz:

Edited by j'ordos

Hey Guys, stick that Snakeman as concept and start doing more concepts on different or the same snakeman but with different characteristics. I would like to see some REAL variations on the design so we will get a better pool of snakemans to choose from...

J'ordos great job on that concept, choose the one you like the most and submit it.

Greetings

Red Knight

Guest drewid

The snakeman is going to be a challenge to animate, or rather a challenge to get round corners.

Nothing wrong with a challenge though ;).

will we be able to split the animation into body/legs like the old halflife thing? might make it quicker to generate. -hmmmmmm.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be easier to seperate the threads into each alien type to make it easier to discuss. I will start moving posts regarding snakeman concepts and models into this thread.

And of course, this post will not be the first one once I start moving others in... <_>

I don't think that the snakeman is an actual snakeman... I think it's what the squaddies call them because they resemble a snake man combination. In Xcom they have locomotion more like a slug.

At any rate, I'm working on a snakeman concept and I didn't want to wait to post it until I had fully painted it up.

For the 2 tails and 1 tail variant, imagine the pattern you see on the chest superimposed onto the 'foot' or 'feet.'

I tried to make it look as unlike muscle as possible while still making it look fleshy and rubbery. I gave it lots of muscle like tubes and tried to make them look like they are filled with fluid... this and the black colour, I think, makes it look a little geigeresque. The skin, especially around the lips is supposed to be quite thick. Imagine the skin of an orca or a shark.

I really wanted to make it look as little like anything on this earth as possible. I think that without the sneer it would look quite a lot less like a dinosaur. Haha.

Excuse the lame pose... I just sort of started drawing with only a vague idea of how it was going to turn out. I think it would look slightly more alien if the legs.. arm... appendages were downward and to the front.. it would give it less of a head and shoulders sort of set up.

Snakeman_concept_copy.jpg

Edited by fux0r666