• This topic is locked This topic is locked
184 replies to this topic

#151 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:12 AM

I didn't say they wouldn't notice, I said they would infer the placement and function of the trigger even if the model itself didn't show it explicitly and probably wouldn't care.

I see. But why do I care? I mean, this is not just nitpicking by my side just because I want to nitpick. I really feel / felt there was missing something and it greatly disturbed me. I can't imagine there are no others like me. This, just to explain why I came up with this in the first place. Now, again, if I'm the only one feeling this is important, we don't have a problem, and I'm happy :)
Keep smiling while dying

Of course I have gone mad with power! It would be completely ridiculous to go mad without power!
And no, this is not a quote from the Simpson's movie, I want it on paper, that I actually wrote that quite some time before the movie came out.

Posted Image

#152 LfO

LfO

Sergeant

• Xenocide Sound Department
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:16 AM

why do I care?

Because you love this project like a child, perhaps. I doubt most players will be so attached. There's still a LOT of work to be done elsewhere in this department, methink :yarr:, and I'm with Vaaish on this one.
Oscillators make my world...um...oscillate...

#153 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:40 AM

I dont think it would give much more things, if after playtest people outside the development team notice then we will review that... I prefer to have more models done, than restart the UV unwrapping and texturing again just for a trigger.

Greetings
Red Knight
Sourceforge Nick: flois - Federico Andres Lois
Visit my blog at: flois.blogspot.com

Posted Image

Pookie cover me, I am going in.

#154 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:57 AM

I realise it's the CTD's job to explain and rationalize a great deal in the context of the game-world, but I don't think that the limits of graphics technology or concessions thereto is necessarily one of them. The makers of doom didn't explain why all of their monsters looked like cardboard cutouts, nor why the enemies in quake had heads with only 8 faces. In the latter case, the shape of their brows and mouths, etc were only implied. Calling attention to that in the text supplied with the game would have been ludicrous. '...transported to a horrific dimension where curved lines were a mathematical impossibility. The denizens of this strange world look as if they were wrought from fleshy diamond, with corners and edges infinitely acute...' No need to call attention to what can't be shown for want of better technology / more man hours.

Here I go an angry brother gonna make his move
But can I buck him in the city so I never lose?
See I'm a get him in the crowd with a couple heavies
And lay the barrel to the ground, hold the gat steady
And now I'm ready for my adversary, talk is cheap
I'm looking for a way to make a plan gonna keep it neat
So don't be telling me to get the non-violent spirit
'cause when I'm violent is the only time the devils hear it
'cause all I want to see is m****f***ing brains hanging

Posted Image

#155 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:02 AM

'...transported to a horrific dimension where curved lines were a mathematical impossibility. The denizens of this strange world look as if they were wrought from fleshy diamond, with corners and edges infinitely acute...'

ROFL ever thought about joining CTD? :)

No need to call attention to what can't be shown for want of better technology / more man hours.

True. So this is settled. :)
Keep smiling while dying

Of course I have gone mad with power! It would be completely ridiculous to go mad without power!
And no, this is not a quote from the Simpson's movie, I want it on paper, that I actually wrote that quite some time before the movie came out.

Posted Image

#156 Shinzon

Shinzon

Artwork Department

• 265 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:08 PM

I FREAKING LOVE YOU VAAISH, by adding the pistol grip I just got an idea for the rifle :P, sorry those base facilities will have to wait just a little bit longer :D

The black dark parts will be extreamly shiny and glossy, while the white parts will have a matte finish...

Attached Files

#157 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:00 PM

since it is still a military weapon maybe we can back that off to semigloss, and matte? Still looking good, sets see how this develops :)

Edited by Vaaish, 23 July 2006 - 07:00 PM.

#158 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:36 PM

This Rifle is going to look pretty cool ;) May I order one? Just for testing of course :D

Greetings
Red Knight

Posted Image

#159 kafros

kafros

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:14 PM

Nice! :D

Can it be used to cook meals?

#160 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:32 AM

does a grey count as a meal?

#161 Shinzon

Shinzon

Artwork Department

• 265 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:40 PM

*puts a cheff hat on*

-Oi!!! No pushing back there, single file people

*Slaps on a shapeless grey mass on Vaaish's plate*
*Turns around to answer the illegible screaming coming from the back room"

-What do you mean the stuff in that fridge over there aint chicken fillet?
-Ali-en con-tain-ment?

*Looks at Vaaish*

-Er, this is our tuesday special "Roswell Surprize"...
-NEXT!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well now thats over with, heres another update... :P

Attached Files

Edited by Shinzon, 24 July 2006 - 03:41 PM.

#162 LfO

LfO

Sergeant

• 81 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:44 PM

That handle-type texture on the lower barrel looks bloody great!

#163 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

hehe still looking good. My suggesstion would to be add ribing onto the grip texture just to break up that huge mass of blue marble.

#164 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• 2,211 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:09 AM

This almost looks perfect, but IMO, The dark areas are too plentyfull and too dark for my taste... I don't know why exactly, but the lighter gray looked nicer to me. I don't know if you plan any detail for the area arround the hole, and the extrusion on the shoulder-mount, but if those were lighter, it might help. Don't know about it, though. Just looks a bit too zebrary too me :P

Oh, and I made the detail mainly for X-net view. I assume that the detail for actual battlefield view will be much smaller (and the texture detail weaker, I just assume it would be scaled down in a simple manner?)

Edited by mikker, 25 July 2006 - 05:12 AM.

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#165 Shinzon

Shinzon

Artwork Department

• 265 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:11 AM

Update

Well im starting to run out of ideas... and it looks like ist nearing completion

Attached Files

#166 LfO

LfO

Sergeant

• 81 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:16 AM

Well im starting to run out of ideas... and it looks like ist nearing completion

Just a thought - the pistol has some sort of stat readout above the handle (where the slide grip would be on a regular pistol) - it would seem appropriate to have something similar in the recessed panel immediately in front of/above the trigger-guard.

#167 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

I agree, lets see if we can get that display panel in there possibly in the blank area behind the glowing blue section.

Also lets add more detail to that bulge on the butt since its supposed to be the power pack for the rifle. and finally lets see if we can maybe add a little something that looks like shock absorbers or a hint of texture to the blank spot on the butt too.

#168 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

Work out the gloss map and do a final Brazil style render as in the pistols to see how they look. I am sure you will find ideas there... nonetheless I think that the current quality set is ok.

Greetings
Red Knight

Posted Image

#169 Shinzon

Shinzon

Artwork Department

• 265 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:20 PM

The stat readout could be a problem as the unrwap is very unforgiving for text....

The text will be displayed correctly on one side, on the other, the text will be inverted, as both sides use the same section of the unrawp...

That is why I just did a "Power level" thing in the very begining...

#170 LfO

LfO

Sergeant

• 81 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:47 PM

My perception is that the problem with the previous power level meter was its size - I think you could use the same panel, or the one behind the glowing part, and use the same type of design you did on the pistol - a blue background with various readings and very small text laid into it. The text on the pistol is small enough that I never even begun to notice that things might be backwards. Also, why limit to one meter? I imagine an experimental laser could have readings for power, heat, component breakdowns (i.e., a small breakdown of the weapon, broken into pieces, with any malfunctioning pieces colored differently), etc. Or, perhaps a diagram of a targeting reticule, with points indicating where the past few shots hit, for scope adjustment. Just some ideas...

#171 dteviot

dteviot

Programming Department

• 1,479 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:12 PM

As the laser rifle has an infinite "ammo" supply (presumably its some derivitive of this http://www.defensere...352003/TIS1.pdf) why would you bother putting a power level read out on it. You know it's always going to be "full".

Edited by dteviot, 27 July 2006 - 11:14 PM.

Saving the world from the scum of the universe is hard work. Especially when you have to create the scum to begin with.

#172 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:47 AM

because said power supply doesn't have/ can't produce an "infinite" amount of energy. The screen would tell you when the power pack is running low and needs to be replaced. :)

Edited by Vaaish, 28 July 2006 - 06:56 AM.

#173 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• 1,028 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

Ideas for readouts/meters:

Charge remaining in power supply

Heat level up to operational failure

Coolant level remaining?

Averaged number of shots remaining

Simplified diagnostic output of electrical system integrity

...idiot lights pertaining to any of the above.

Programmable trigger group setting ie. Safe, Semi, Semi shot cadence normalizer (no matter how chaotically you squeeze the trigger, the weapon will fire at a set rate), Burst (2, 3, 4, 5, 10.. whatever), Full, Burst Cadence (5 shot, 500 ms pause, 5 shot).

Some of these ideas may be a little out of the creative text concept, but there's a lot you can do with electrical weapons. Most of those ideas are taken from the operation of electrically controlled paintball guns, or the shooting discipline that soldiers practice. In the latter case, the discipline would be programmed into the gun itself (like machinegun shot cadence. In Canada it's 4 shot, then a pause, then 4 shot. In American, the cadence is "Die mother-f*cker, die. Die mother-f*cker, die"- 6 shots, then a pause). However, this is less ideas for CT than they are just for filling in space on the weapon. Take any or none as you wish.

Here I go an angry brother gonna make his move
But can I buck him in the city so I never lose?
See I'm a get him in the crowd with a couple heavies
And lay the barrel to the ground, hold the gat steady
And now I'm ready for my adversary, talk is cheap
I'm looking for a way to make a plan gonna keep it neat
So don't be telling me to get the non-violent spirit
'cause when I'm violent is the only time the devils hear it
'cause all I want to see is m****f***ing brains hanging

Posted Image

#174 dteviot

dteviot

Programming Department

• 1,479 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

Stupid questions time.
Are the light blue areas on the barrel supposed to glow like they do in the laser pistol?
If so, the first thing any soldier is going to think when he see's it is that it's a big "shoot me" sign when it comes to night ops.
The next thing he's going to do is cover it in paint.
Saving the world from the scum of the universe is hard work. Especially when you have to create the scum to begin with.

#175 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• 2,211 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

Stupid questions time.
Are the light blue areas on the barrel supposed to glow like they do in the laser pistol?
If so, the first thing any soldier is going to think when he see's it is that it's a big "shoot me" sign when it comes to night ops.
The next thing he's going to do is cover it in paint.

if you don't have big flashy things in a futuristic video game, what DO you have?

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#176 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:38 PM

of course the second he fires the thing there is an even bigger shoot me sign going back to his location :)

#177 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:39 AM

took the liberty of moving the sound discussion to CTD
http://www.xcomufo.c...topic=242026538
Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image

#178 Shinzon

Shinzon

Artwork Department

• 265 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:17 AM

Looks like its done... bump gloss maps and all...

Two renders, one in the dark (To see how much of a "Hit me sign" it is... and if you think thats too much just wait untill I get my hands on the Plasmas :devilburn: ) and one in the light

I will be sending the whole zipped thing to Vaaish, one question though: Should I include the png textures or the PSD? (The psd ones will be 100x larger :D)

Attached Files

Edited by Shinzon, 10 August 2006 - 09:24 AM.

#179 kafros

kafros

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:37 AM

:Drool:

Going straight into the galleries! :D

#180 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:58 PM

OMFG OMG :Drool:

#181 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

Plain AMAZING... This deserves a huge headline in the web page :D

Greetings
Red Knight

Posted Image

#182 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

Plain AMAZING... This deserves a huge headline in the web page :D

Greetings
Red Knight

Already on it's way... :)
Needless to say that this is absolutely amazing! :Drool:
Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image

#183 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

Looks awsome Shinzon. Great work!

I'd go ahead and include the textures as full res psds and 512x512 pngs.

#184 Shinzon

Shinzon

Artwork Department

• 265 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

Hope you have a huge inbox Vaaish, the main PSD file is 9.83 MB... :P

#185 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:46 AM

Well I think that access to the SVN would be a must for you ;)

Greetings
Red Knight

Posted Image