XCOMUFO & Xenocide

? ART- VIPER: Merged Topics

Yes, the cones were a perfect idea for setting up the animation, that's looking great Fidel.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been busy for the last few days, but here's few animations.

Pistol and heavy weapons are fired differently, but I'm having trouble with reaching the second sleeve with the heavy gun, too short arms! :'(

I'm going to make few more death and idle animations, and perhaps tweak those existing ones if there's any suggestions. ;)

I guess the head seems to be a bit low now since the armor is now extruded from the body, I lowered it originally when I moved the eyes forward and the head just seemed too high to me. :/

Edit: And melee animation is on my to-do list as well.

snakeani.zip

Edited by fidel_

very nice work, I like the idle animations

could the fall direction in the death animation be altrered depending on from which direction you shoot it?

pretty damn good. very snakey.

The only thing I might suggest is keeping the recoil more in line, It looks a bit like he'd miss because of his aim being thrown otherwise.

The only thing with doing that is that you might have to make the recoil bigger/faster to maintain the feeling of power. or you could give it a real punch, then drifts off line a bit afterwards as he relaxes back to the start pose.

Another thing worth trying with this sort of snap action is cutting some frames to make the "fire frame" really fast. so instead of trigger to recoil taking say 6 frames it could take 2 or 3.

Like in action movies where they cut 1 or 2 frames just after the hero's punch hits the baddies jaw just to give it extra power.

Those are looking nice! This little pic is trying to show my suggestion of holding the heavy weapons, it's a view from above. If you have the snameman's torso turned towards the side the weapon's on, it makes it easier to hold with both hands. The left side shows the current angle, the right shows with the twist. Then when he fires, the weapon can kick straight back, twisting his torso just a little bit more.

1.jpg

Yeah, the fewer the better I agree. I wonder how many weapons the snakeman might use? Obviously just the alien tech, but would we see him using a small launcher or other 2 handed weeapons? It would seem there could be a 2 handed animation and a 1 handed animation, and we try to take similar grip locations into consideration when making the weapons. For example, if we find the heavy plasma's front sleeve is too far forward, we can move it back some to make it fit better, or put the front sleeve under the weapon body so his hand is reaching to the right spot on all weapons. I think that's a fair compromise to make.

So it's ok to have just one pose where all the animations start? I guess having two sets of animations for light and heavy guns might be a good idea, if time permits I'll look into that. I need more heavy weapons for testing purposes though, is the launcher finished yet?

I'll see if I can do anything to the recoil with the things you suggested drewid.

Micah asked me to make a movie showing the snakeman animations, and I got a bit carried away. I should have been doing something more productive. ^_^

http://koti.phnet.fi/holoantt/projectx.avi (7 megs, divx)

Sound guys, you have an assigment... experiment with some enviromentals sounds in the movie and the shots and scream of the snakeman death. That will give you a framework to work with sound in a realistic setting. (and we will have a nice movie to put in the site)... I will crosspost this is the sound department.

Fidel your work with the Snakeman is top stuff, keep up the excelent work you are doing.

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

Really nice. Though I'm losing the detail of the snake on my monitor. perhaps a bit more fill light to pick it out, like the light has reflected from the sand. The only other thing I would suggest is to avoid orbiting the camera in that last shot. either that or slow it right down. Spinning camera syndrome is best avoided really. Edited by drewid

Nice work fidel!

The thing I'm noticing though is that the entire model seems to be too... I dunno... dark? There isn't enough contrast between the armour and the body and you can't really see its face either.

Is that just me?

Does anyone else care about this or should I just pipe down? :blink:

Here's a clip with few things I forgot. About the lighting/detail issue, my monitor is pretty old (about 8 years) so I wouldn't wonder if things seem a bit different on other peoples comps. I could add some lighting, but all those scenes took an hour to render altough they're pretty simple, so please pity me. :)

This one is without any sounds or music if sound department wants to play with it.

viper.zip

the videos don't work for me, only the intros. Is my DivX plugin too old?

it's probably easier if I just get a newer version :D

We're well past that stage of development now, this guy's concept is locked down.

The western would sound good! Is the classic whistle sound from The Good, Bad, and Ugly licensed? The alien is shot by somebody, I could make a Clint Eastwood skin to hide inside the soldier's helmet if we eventually see him... ;)