46 replies to this topic

#1 valerian

valerian

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 01:51 PM

you can do all what you want with weapon but don't change too much the blaster !!!!!!!! :hammer:
because what a joy to :beer: after blating a squad of muton !(dont like them)
yyeeeppp!!
and a model of ovni energy source:may give idea.

Attached Files

#2 GreatGold

GreatGold

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 852 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 02:21 PM

Hey -

Whats an "ovni energy source"? Wheres it from? I do like the model, I'm assuming you made it? Ifyou did, with some tweaks, it could be a good bases for UFO power sources. Still a little similar to the original, but with some work could be very original.

Gold
---
Rule #33:
Celatid venom is a paralytic nerve toxin, not 'happy juice".

---
Posted Image

#3 valerian

valerian

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 12:15 AM

hello colonel gold!
i do it under anim8or.
and UFO power sources come from space! :D
yes similar to original and will try to work more on it.
(as i said iam a newbee to 3d but try do my best)
thank to give opinion, colonel gold!
see you.

#4 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 09:38 AM

Its nice for a start, but a bit borring, to say it as it is. Needs something cool, like a piece for elerium floating inside, or a green beam dancing arround. Exterrior look could also use a bit detail.

BTW, with ovni, i think he means ownie, that it owns.

Edited by mikker, 05 June 2003 - 09:40 AM.

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#5 GreatGold

GreatGold

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 852 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 10:04 AM

Hehe -

Just Gold is fine :D . Some suggestions....perhaps if you added an interesting lighting, such as a glow of some sort...that could be good. Is there a way to animate a model with light sources moving and changing? That might be worh looking into. Also, the more detail the better, so think about working something into that screen. I suggested a hologram from Vaaish Avenger screen, perhaps you could do something similiar. This way, when people are like "where did the holograms come from" they see that it came from some sort of alien tech.

I also like Mikker's idea of something floating inside, that would be a neat affect. Then the individual Elerium compounds could emit a lights source, and perhaps be coded to fly around in a rapid, random pattern.

Gold
---
Rule #33:

---
Posted Image

#6 GreatGold

GreatGold

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 852 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 01:20 PM

Hey -

Well, being that these two models have not been created yet, but the CTD entries are complete, would it be possible to create models at least remotely similar to the descriptions already made? I think that would make more sense, than creating ones that are different, and then the CTD having to go re-write because of that.

Following are the physical descritions. Also, please note, that they are rather vague on purpose so that you guys have as much artistic felxibilty as possible. So please try to design with these descriptions at least in the back of your mind.

UFO POWER SOURCE

The reaction chamber has three layers, creating an onion-like structure. The outermost layer is composed of two sheets of alien alloys with structural supports between them. This reinforced alien alloy shell helps protect the reaction chamber from damage, and contains the explosive force of the reaction. Within the alien alloy shell lays a field of particle emitters. These emitters appear to be connected to 'particle reservoirs' where samples of krypton or other high-energy atoms are stored. These particles are then magnetically accelerated into the third layer of the reaction chamber: the Elerium storage chamber. The particles bombard the Elerium, creating a temporarily unstable super-heavy element. Immediately, the Elerium decays, giving off a vast amount of power.

Below the reaction chamber lays the alien 'battery'. The energy storage is accomplished through the use of a bio-organic mesh, not entirely dissimilar from the vaguely organic tissue found on alien alloys.

UFO NAVIGATION

This psychotronic device appears to be
some sort of gestalt network, linking up to five individuals of the same species into a masive psionic amplifier. Even psionically null individuals can be used in conjunction with this device....

One of the participants must be the focus of the psychotronic web, the controller.  All other participants are virtually comatose for the duration of the link.  When interfaced with the alien control systems, the controller almost literally becomes the craft. 

Many thanks,
Gold
---
Rule #33:

---
Posted Image

#7 GreatGold

GreatGold

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 10:54 AM

bump
---
Rule #33:

---
Posted Image

#8 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 09:05 AM

The navigation entry has me wondering though. Is there 5 aliens linked within the craft? What about the smaller ufos, where there's less than 5 aliens aboard? I guess I missed something there.

#9 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 09:11 AM

It said UP TO five aliens, the lower limit is 1? and the upper limit per nav is 5.
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#10 Cpt. Boxershorts

Cpt. Boxershorts

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 453 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 08:47 AM

The Corporal is right, minimun 1, maximum 5...the actual number depends onthe size of the ship, and the psionic strength of the individuals (so a single sectoid could probably handle even a medium ufo, but you probably need 3-4 mutons for a large scout).

That part of the concept was shamlessly stolen from the ufo control room scene in Taken.

-The Captain
"...you're always afraid you'll lose control and wake up some morning with a half-built time machine and a plan to go back in time and pants Hitler."
- A Miracle of Science

Posted Image

#11 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 09:57 AM

It said UP TO five aliens, the lower limit is 1? and the upper limit per nav is 5.

Doh! :hammer:

#12 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 10:15 AM

Taken, that was a creepy miniseries. dissappointing too! The aliens weren't necesarily evil!

Anyway, how is xcom supposed to use alien power when we can't bioengineer living energy storage? I don't think a duracell would work here. :D
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

Posted Image

#13 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 09:18 PM

To get this thread on topic, :D , could someone convert the attached models from .max to .3ds format? Then zip them up and attach them here again. Milkshape doesn't have a max importer that I could find...

Thanks!

Attached Files

#14 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• 5,059 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 04:21 AM

No problem at all, here you are :)

Attached Files

"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#15 Calavero

Calavero

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:04 AM

Hi everyone! First I'd like to say that I'm glad to be part of this project
On to work now:
This is a crude concept of the UFO Power source. I'm waiting for sugestions and comments...

Attached Files

#16 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:27 AM

I have found two other topics related to the power source:
[EDIT BY J'ORDOS: topics merged, so links didn't lead anywhere anymore, and therefor I removed them]
Perhaps some topics could be merged?

Interesting design, Calavero. It looks like it's got 4 reactions going on at once.

Edited by j'ordos, 20 June 2004 - 04:19 PM.

Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#17 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• 5,059 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:43 AM

Yeah, you're right Robo, topics are now merged with a clear title :)

Oh, and OVNI is French for UFO :D
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#18 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 06:42 AM

Oh, and OVNI is French for UFO :D

or Portuguese. or Spanish. or many other similiar languages :P

i like the concept of the UFO Power Source. We should make one different from xcom1 and that's different :)

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#19 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:58 AM

I also like having a different look to the power source. Perhaps some sort of curved/looped structure could be made? Something to make the design a little different than the alien containment chamber, if you've seen the tubes to hold the aliens, it just reminds me of that a little. Not that that's an issue, I guess having some look like the Xenium matter is flowing around to help make the energy fields or something? Just some thoughts.

#20 Calavero

Calavero

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:44 AM

Breunor was right. The first concept was like the alien containment chamber. I changed the tubes to rings. These rings will have an animated texture (much like the hovertank model) to show the Xenium(?) reacton. As soon as I get my hands on 3D Studio I'll post a first mesh.

Attached Files

#21 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:20 AM

I'm not 100% on that angular style to be honest. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the alien tech. I'm thinking we need to utilise the xenium crystals directly instead of having something that looks similar to a ST warp reactor.

Obviously it needs to fill the 1m2 area we have planned but for me this style of design is too human for alien tech.

Edited by Deimos, 28 May 2004 - 02:21 AM.

#22 Calavero

Calavero

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:02 AM

You have a point there Deimos. It does have a human tech look. This is a new concept. These litlle yellow things in the sphere are xenium crystals.

Attached Files

Edited by Calavero, 28 May 2004 - 06:03 AM.

#23 awof

awof

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:11 PM

NB the discussion going on (somewhere.. not sure which forum) about xenium and its atomic number and stability due to high energy content and such.. Is it possible to have soo much pure crystal sitting in a UFO power source?

#24 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• 2,211 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:52 PM

NB the discussion going on (somewhere.. not sure which forum) about xenium and its atomic number and stability due to high energy content and such.. Is it possible to have soo much pure crystal sitting in a UFO power source?

yeah, it shouldn't be pure energy, at least not dirrectly. It could be contained in champers where it is pumped into the machinery. They should act like barriers, that stop the energy from the crystal when it goes too high. I don't think the Overmind wants it slaves to die from overheating and radiation...

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

#25 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:09 PM

While there is discussion about the atomic number and all that, I think it belittles Xenium to think of it in that way. This stuff is warping the space-time field, so its radiation could very well be something that in pure form does not affect us, similar to magnetic fields. It's only when you toss in some other matter, that Xenium can vaporise, that you start having a weapon setup.

Regarding the powersource, perhaps a combination of the crystals and a cool design layout would work? Like taking the rings, making them eliptical and overlapping each other, and they are made of the faceted crystals themselves instead of being within a chamber?

I just tossed some primitives together here, I'd see more than one ring, and maybe having them thinner as well. With some animated textures inside transparent faces, also covered in animated textures, you could make some fun dancing lights.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   13.41K   13 downloads

#26 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:13 PM

Hmm...Nice. Could we get it so that we see Xenium crystals moving around inside the unit? That would look really cool.

Posted Image

#27 kafros

kafros

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:39 PM

(/bump)
Has anyone worked on that one further? :master: :naughty:

#28 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:41 AM

nope... this is probably rock bottom of the priorities list ATM :)

#29 Moriarty

Moriarty

Xnet Proof Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:48 PM

Hi art people :)

I was wondering if anyone is considering working on this, because we are currently re-thinking some stuff about xenium, and I would like you to wait a bit until we get some general ideas settled, because it might affect the way the power source should look :)
I'll keep you updated.
(I already have some design concepts in mind, but let's first see what the others think about my soon-to-come xenium revision)
I doubt, therefore I might be.

Posted Image,the sneaky little bastard.

#30 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:36 AM

This hasn't been assigned and probably won't be for some time... priorities are on the base facilities ATM.

#31 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:48 AM

Hi art people :)

I was wondering if anyone is considering working on this, because we are currently re-thinking some stuff about xenium, and I would like you to wait a bit until we get some general ideas settled, because it might affect the way the power source should look :)
I'll keep you updated.
(I already have some design concepts in mind, but let's first see what the others think about my soon-to-come xenium revision)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We don't really need to know how it looks in order to write how it works, anyway :)

#32 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:10 AM

We don't really need to know how it looks in order to write how it works, anyway :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I understood Moriartys post, he just wanted to be sure that he is not destroying any already done artwork if he changes the Xenium CT. right?
Keep smiling while dying

Of course I have gone mad with power! It would be completely ridiculous to go mad without power!
And no, this is not a quote from the Simpson's movie, I want it on paper, that I actually wrote that quite some time before the movie came out.

Posted Image

#33 Moriarty

Moriarty

Xnet Proof Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:42 AM

that's what YOU think!

As far as I understood Moriartys post, he just wanted to be sure that he is not destroying any already done artwork if he changes the Xenium CT. right?

exactly.
plus I wanted to see if I can dictate my views not only on the ctd people, but also here in the art department... uh... you didn't hear me saying that, did you? :D

#34 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:55 AM

that's what YOU think!

Yeah, that's what I think :)

#35 Moriarty

Moriarty

Xnet Proof Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:19 AM

duh :D

anyway, what I am thinking of involves something that is not entirely compatible with the original design (the glowing cylinder thing).

#36 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:43 AM

[...]anyway, what I am thinking of involves something that is not entirely compatible with the original design (the glowing cylinder thing).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why no glowing cylinder? U don't know if it's not emitting some nm EM waves when unfolding space-time... (am I the only one in whose ears that sounds kind of... strange? :) )
Keep smiling while dying

Of course I have gone mad with power! It would be completely ridiculous to go mad without power!
And no, this is not a quote from the Simpson's movie, I want it on paper, that I actually wrote that quite some time before the movie came out.

Posted Image

#37 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• 2,211 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:42 AM

what about something more like this? Especially the roof part.

Posted Image

Posted Image

lsdy one not mine, but posted before. I really like this design, i most say. It looks powerfull, and nothing like the one in the original.

Edited by mikker, 21 September 2005 - 11:45 AM.

#38 Moriarty

Moriarty

Xnet Proof Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:10 PM

I definitely like the second one. it goes really well with my ideas, actually... you'll see soon.

the first one looks a little open for a power source :)

#39 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:16 PM

erm... I'm fairly positive that the image Fux made (the goldish one) of the interior of tehe UFO was even showing a reactor... I believe it is primarily showing a concept for how the interior might look in a general sense with nothing actually detailed or labeled

#40 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• 1,028 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:13 AM

It's true, although the reactor was in the centre of every small ufo, so that was actually a really quick splash for the reactor and a force door or screen or something. The perspective on that drawing was hard to do, and that's about the most vivid memory I have of it.... Mostly it was for interior style but if you like the quick reactor run over, feel free to develop it.

Here I go an angry brother gonna make his move
But can I buck him in the city so I never lose?
See I'm a get him in the crowd with a couple heavies
And lay the barrel to the ground, hold the gat steady
And now I'm ready for my adversary, talk is cheap
I'm looking for a way to make a plan gonna keep it neat
So don't be telling me to get the non-violent spirit
'cause when I'm violent is the only time the devils hear it
'cause all I want to see is m****f***ing brains hanging

Posted Image

#41 eamon

eamon

Artwork Department

• 46 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:44 PM

I was thinking that it might look something like this... please treat this model like "concept art" as I tend to think and "draw" in 3d...

Sort of a power core and instrument panel in one. What do you all think?

-Eamon

Attached Files

Posted Image
It is better to have a lack of options than a lack of oxygen.
Coloring By Eamon

#42 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:48 PM

I like it, it reminds me of the Warp Cores from Star Trek, that most certainly looks like what I'd picture the Xenium Reactor like :) great work =b

#43 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:49 PM

its a start but it lacks the organicness needed for the alien tech. it looks a bit too human like one of our knock offs of the alien reactors.

#44 eamon

eamon

Artwork Department

• 46 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:04 PM

Well I was messing around with weapon shapes today and out popped a power source!

It is a little more organic... than last time... still just concept art though.

Attached File  power1.jpg   61.74K   98 downloads

-Eamon

Attached Files

Edited by eamon, 23 October 2005 - 01:50 PM.

Posted Image
It is better to have a lack of options than a lack of oxygen.
Coloring By Eamon

#45 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2005 - 08:22 AM

That definitely looks far more alien, I loved the other one, but I think they are right and looks too Human :(

Anyway, excellent work =b

#46 Moriarty

Moriarty

Xnet Proof Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:26 AM

I like it :) hope it will look that good in-game, too... that's what I didn't like about apocalypse: the ufopedia models looked great, but in-game it was all crap.

#47 ATeX

ATeX

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:16 PM

nice work!