XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Hwpies Strikes Back :)

demich

Maybe the main barrel could be slightly trasluscent, and you'd see some pulsing light in there when it fires? Or just have the plasma beam be REALLY bright when it comes out, so it casts shadows even in daylight.

Taking some inspiration from 40k we could use a ring of magnets around the barrel that stop short of the end. Bearing in mind that this is alien tech, converted over to human tech we should go for a mix of styles. The aliens don't have anything as big as plasma cannons so we can break from the look of the alien weaponry.

As for plasma effects, Bruenor hit it right on the head. Plasma I think should be an incredibly bright ball of light.

As for plasma effects, Bruenor hit it right on the head. Plasma I think should be an incredibly bright ball of light.

With an appealing tail after it for a linear appealing look? :)

I was thinking along the lines of a plasma beam rather than ball, either could work. Or even a short bolt. Anyone read the Eye of the World series by Robert Jordan? There was a power called Balefire, if it hit you, you were winked out of existence. Depending on how much hit you, you ceased to exist back in time, and events you affected were adjusted as if you hadn't been there. Anyway, the visual effect was that it was so intense it left an afterimage in your sight, sort of like looking at an arc welder.

A plasma ball might look the coolest, very bright blue with electric-looking white arcs around it, like a containment field as it shoots at the target.

I was thinking along the lines of a plasma beam rather than ball, either could work. Or even a short bolt. Anyone read the Eye of the World series by Robert Jordan? There was a power called Balefire, if it hit you, you were winked out of existence. Depending on how much hit you, you ceased to exist back in time, and events you affected were adjusted as if you hadn't been there. Anyway, the visual effect was that it was so intense it left an afterimage in your sight, sort of like looking at an arc welder.

A plasma ball might look the coolest, very bright blue with electric-looking white arcs around it, like a containment field as it shoots at the target.

I just :wub: WoT, read all ten :)

Something in that line would be cool yeah :)

I was picturing something like that for the concept of the heavy plasma. I was going to say on it that this time the plasma bolt (or whatever you want to call it) is so large that it can not hold itself together, critical mass, so this time the spikes put a electro-magnetic field around it to hold it together instead of having it break in pieces. The affect you were talking about is what I was picturing for the field.

Edited by Anglachel

So there'd be animated electric sparks around the barrel as it fires? That would look really cool.

second concept :)

the main idea is that spikes spin with very high speed this generates magnetic field and then plasma is being loaded into it and when this "packege" is ready it is being thrown(?) towards the target :) the green ball represents plasma ball :)

post-29-1054154749_thumb.jpg

So far the plasma tech has been based around the plasma being formed in the back of the barrel/chamber, and then the spikes along the front of the barrel propel it out the front. Perhpas if the spikes you have are longer, and run down the side of the barrel a little bit, it would tie into that look nicely.

On the other hand, it doesn't have to all look the same, the above is just a suggestion. ^_^

Guest drewid

Really nice work.

I like the third one the best.

The bulge at the base of the barrel could be the "mixing chamber"

and the bulge halfway down an acellerator of some kind. maybe with coils around?

I reckon they should have clear panels in them so you can see the plasma forming and being thrown out.

Again, really nice work.

• 2 weeks later...
those damm storms... my mainboard was struck by lightning (not directly of course :D). Now i'm working with barrowed one <_<. Here is the pic on which i was working when this "event" occured. Veeeeery simple texture. It still needs some work.

post-29-1055444110_thumb.jpg

I think the autocannon design would represent the cannon tank. Rather than a big barrel, this design adds some flare to the look.

Hmmm... okay, I'll have to change the text then...Iv'e got it firing standard tank rounds (depeleted uranium discarding sabot). I don't think that kind of ammo is feasible with a rotary barrel design.

Of course, we could just attribute it to tech advances.

Picture an M-1 on autofire.....

-The Captain

The cannon tank in the original did only fire single rounds so a singluar turret would be better for it. Keep the barrel short (no longer than the end of the model) and it'd be good to have a huge muzzlebrake on the end, maybe something like the one on an M48 Patton tank and maybe a barrel jacket like on the challenger MBT.

For the blaster launcher and plasma tanks, remember that they are on hover bases and no the wheeled HWP, however if you design them the way you've been doing with modablitity in mind it'll leave things open for post v1.0.

For the blaster launcher I was thinking along the lines of the turret (if you can call it that) of a German Sturmtiger. Big stubby mortar. Couple that to the flowing lines of a hovertank and I think it 'll look quite special.

Here are some pic references. Top left is an M60, top right is the Challenger MBT, bottom left is the Sturmtiger and finally bottom right is the M48.

Edit: Keep the autocannon turret assembly though as it may well get included in +v1.0

post-29-1055557298_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deimos

those tanks look a bit too old for our purpose, but perhaps.

Instand of making an entirely new tank-type for the auto-cannon, why not just add on both existing types, like an secondary attack?

Edited by mikker