XCOMUFO & Xenocide

No Sound in Dosbox

Awhile ago I posted a request for tech support on CE, well, that was a bust, so I've tried getting the Dos version to work. It works fine except for one thing, no sound. I found a post with settings that should work, but these options are different on the version of doxbox I have. Any suggestions?

First thing you want to do is open your dosbox.conf file in notepad or your custom conf file if you've made one, and look for the SBLASTER settings. You should see the following or something similar:

sblaster=true

base=220

irq=7

dma=1

If it differs from the above, you can set them to that, or run the game's sound setup and match up its settings against what is in your configuration file.

- NKF

The sblaster=true statement isn't in there, but there is one identifying the type of soundblaster, and a few other things. I've already tried matching up the settings without results.

Here are the statements I have:

sbtype=sb16

sbbase=220

irq=7

dma=1

hdma=5

sbmixer=true

oplmode=auto

oplemu=default

oplrate=22050

That should be fine. One thing I've found with old dos game is that if it's having trouble with slightly more modern sound cards (SB16's for example), the solution was to downgrade the soundcard type the game's using. Old games were very-very temperamental.

Run the game setup and try Soundblaster or Soundblaster Pro with base 220, irq 7, dma 1. The sound channels are up to you.

If that doesn't work, try downgrading the soundcard type in the Dosbox config as well.

- NKF