XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Fatal Wounds

If FWs are ever built into the game, some cool effects could be implemented. I was just thinking that Lasers should have a low chance of causing them, since a laser would cauterize the wound and stop bleeding. Guns should be the best at making these, since guns desperately need another positive factor. Assuming the game is no HE, and hence no autocannons, the only reason to bring a gun is to bring the total points below 15K. A high FW probability is just what guns need.

This would also mean getting the medpack in.

Not to heal, but only to stop another unit from bleeding

i so look forward to medpacks to add a huge strategical element to the game.

the idea of more primitive firearms causing more fleshwounds definitely sounds appealing I do say. I'd likely bring a shotgun with me more often if that were the case.

If FWs are ever built into the game, some cool effects could be implemented. I was just thinking that Lasers should have a low chance of causing them, since a laser would cauterize the wound and stop bleeding. Guns should be the best at making these, since guns desperately need another positive factor. Assuming the game is no HE, and hence no autocannons, the only reason to bring a gun is to bring the total points below 15K. A high FW probability is just what guns need.

you just posted the very rant I've been spewing since the start of the weaponset. I totally think it would be cool and itd allow for stuff like poison or drugged effects. This opens up a whole bunch of extra restoration items (ie stim packs heal stamina, meds heal hp, prozac heals morale ;) ). it would increase the stratergy hugely. a new set of values could be added to the weapon lua:

causes_effects 1\0

-expressed as % stat damage per turn w/t duration

duration: #

health_damage: #

tus_damage: #

morale_damage: #

etc etc

it could be implemented in such a way that a soldier is tagged as effected and given a value for duration which is decremented per turn. This should help reduce possible sync errors if the damage values are absolute. course theres a very good reason why I don't do any programming for 2k ...

Edited by Sporb

Yeah, I like this idea.

It will put a time limit to those guys that loves making tactical retreats.

• 1 month later...
Yeah, I like this idea.

It will put a time limit to those guys that loves making tactical retreats.

except those that do will be smart enough to bring along a medikit or two for such emergencies.

In X-com?however,? my medics always seem the most ill-fated and die first... ?

One could argue that explosives would be capable of causing massive amounts of fatal wounding due to being... well, explosives. ^_^ If you're not dead you've probably lost something important or recieved a faceful of shrapnel.

Plasma weapons do enough damage that concentrated fire will kill most opponents in one or two shots, making fatal wounds pretty much pointless in terms of damage over time. I suppose they would be more effective in a situation where soldiers had high health levels (in an arcade FPS style situation) and weapons did not do much damage, but could instead cause fatal or open wounds.

Edited by Exo2000

• 4 months later...

I really don't see what the problem with Fatal Wounds is. They are surely ludicrously easy to enable... make it an option on the deployment screen if some people don't like them (even if you can't heal them). I didn't realise fatal wounds were an illusion for quite a while (being used to XCOM 1, and them still appearing on the stats)... and it was changing my tactics. Someone who I assumed was about to die would become a lunatic spotter or suicide bomber. I really think if someone gets shot up and flees, they shouldn't be able to live indefinitely and should be forced out to be a hero.

I haven't played with the medkit due to it being left out of the UFO 2000 set... but the classic medkit workings of UFO were fine. BRING BACK FATAL WOUNDS.

I was also thinking of 2 other things:

1. Gas is an atrociously bad damage type from my brief testing. Can someone explain exactly how it functions?

2. Why not make a dart gun that makes units go berserk for one round, shooting the nearest unit? Obviously the more armour, the lower the % chance of the dart working. It wouldn't really be overpowered since it causes no damage to the target, and the berserking soldier may miss his target... unless you found their rocket launcher guy.