XCOMUFO & Xenocide

MCD List for MAP files

danielgatley

I'm playing around with UFO MAP files and wondering how the game knows which MCD files it needs to load for a given Map. It's simple enough to see for AVENGER.MAP as there is only one MCD files but when considering UFO_110.MAP as an example it needs U_EXT02.MCD, U_WALL02.MCD and U_BITS.MCD. How does the game know to load these files (as it certainly not in the MAP file) and in what order does it load them (in my current understanding this would have an impact on the offset)?

Mapview seems to use it's own file to link the maps to mcd's, so i'm guessing the link in the game is coded in the exe. If anyone knows different please let me know.

It's hard coded in the EXE's. (Tactical.exe for the dos ver.)

You can find them with a hex editor doing an ASCII search for the file names. XcomUtil's map generator changed the entries for the final level in each game for it's custom sets.

Edited by BladeFireLight

Thanks for the info, was hoping there would be a nice easy system or file but oh well guess i'll make my own.

If you use XComUtil and its feature to manually choose terrain then you can change the xcomutil.cfg file to make it load your own maps or your own list of MCDs.

Nothing of any real interest, just displaying them on screen at current. I wanted to learn some android graphics/game programming and thought it would be a good project to keep my interest. It's never going to go anywhere of merit but I’m enjoying the challenge of at least trying. Before anyone says I know the colours in some of the tiles are a little off but I was concentrating on making the maps work more.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_943H43tTeRQ/TSbrW4O1i_I/AAAAAAAAWNo/jga3-TkVlP8/s800/device.jpg