2 replies to this topic

#1 Thranritter

Thranritter

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 08:28 AM

Whoa, I didn't expect research times to go up but not skyrocket. 200 scientists on plasma pistol for one and a half month, on superhuman and it says "poor" for the research progress, while I capture ~3 aliens per mission (kinda hard with stun rods). Is that anywhere near "normal", or do I need to research - say - sectoid soldier first, so that additional sectoid soldiers count towards my research?

While I appreciate the toughness this creates (laser rifles against mutons, ha ha ha), I didn't plan to spent 10 years game time to be eventually able to visit Cydonia, so is there any other way to boost my research progress, or does it just work wrong for me?

Regards,
Thranritter

#2 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 12:49 PM

The amount is based upon the rank of the alien you capture. A soldier probably isn't worth very much. Try capturing higher ranked aliens. (the readme says an engineer gives 50% reduction of the research time, for example.) This is done in percentages so if your project is almost done, capturing an alien doesn't do as much as when you just started the project.
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#3 stjones

stjones

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 01:23 PM

Whoa, I didn't expect research times to go up but not skyrocket. 200 scientists on plasma pistol for one and a half month, on superhuman and it says "poor" for the research progress, while I capture ~3 aliens per mission (kinda hard with stun rods). Is that anywhere near "normal", or do I need to research - say - sectoid soldier first, so that additional sectoid soldiers count towards my research?

While I appreciate the toughness this creates (laser rifles against mutons, ha ha ha), I didn't plan to spent 10 years game time to be eventually able to visit Cydonia, so is there any other way to boost my research progress, or does it just work wrong for me?

Regards,
Thranritter

The point of the new feature was for you to get nearly all of your information from captives. If you look at XCOMUTIL.CFG, there is a table that describes the percentage of remaining research you get from each captive.
Scott T Jones
Author of XcomUtil