XCOMUFO & Xenocide

For those of you who havn't played Diablo II, it lets you equip different items to differn parts of the body. There was your main torso, your legs, your arms, your head, and some other BS slots I don't remember.

If this were applied to X-Com:

You could equip night-vision goggles to the head while still getting the benefits of personal armor on the torso, or equip a psi-dampening helmet to boost psi strength instead of the regular powersuit helmet which filters smoke.

Someone meantioned a belt that would reduce the weight of stuff on it in another thread...

Gloves that let you knock out Mutons, or let you climb up walls. Boots that let you walk on water. The possibilites are endless...

You could even mix-and-match armor types resistant to differant things to help protect you from differant attack types.

Feedback, anyone?

They had the paper-doll method of armour dressing in Apocalypse and in my experience it was very unweildy. Besides being impractical, it is mostly illogical except for items such as certain types of gloves and so forth. However this does bring forth some notes in general about armour.....

-Land Warrior - The US Army will have Land Warrior in field use by 2009, although working prototypes exist now. I imagine rather than T-shirts, XCORPS would probably use advanced infantry armour such as this. Land Warrior has integrated night vision and electronic battlefield management. It would not be a far stretch to integrate Motion Sensors into such armour.

Also, night vision goggles are pretty small these days. Army troops simply flip them down from their helmets, sacrificing nothing.

- Personal Armour - I always found it strange that you could not integrate Night Vision and Motion Sensors into personal armour. Also, considering the abiltieis of Alien Alloys, why isn't hte face covered. I am sure that AA can be made to breathe pretty easily or even act like a gas filter.

Anyway, maybe instead of paper-doll items it would be acceptable to have 'armour kits'. These are variations of the things you talked about, but integrated to make sense. For example you could have a Abduction Kit that features stun extenders on the forearm(feeds into a personal armour or above power source), Thermoptics, and net throwers. However even this system could get unweidly and annoying with 20 + soldiers.

• 1 month later...
They did have this in Apoc as someone already mentioned, but it seemed to me that the armours in UFO were more of an integrated system, like it was a huge jumpsuit that you had to put on. Also it would be very hard to keep track of all your soldiers different armours and abilities, especially if the death rate is anything like the original.

I think kits would work much better than changing specific pieces of armour. In Apoc, the only reason you'd mix different types of armour was to get the Marsec flying piece. So, having a few different type of armour: standard "terran" armour, alien alloy based armour, powered armour. Then, have different addons, like flying (anti-gravity harness?), night vision, motion sensors or whatever.

• 1 year later...

What makes difference is that heavier armor protects better, but impairs mobility. And sneak ability too (if any). Helmets impairs vision (hearing can be compensated with enhancement electronics, but with optics comes limitations).

E.g. we can have recon group in light armor and assault group in heavy.

There's also distinction between main armor and reinforcing add-ons (well, always were :)).

And if equipment damage will be accounted (e.g. Celatid crapped off some armor), piecemeal armor approach would be important even if pieces of different armor suits are incompatible at all. As Stilgar said - «Where are the spares? Are we a troop together or a band of savages?» :D

It's "unwieldy" only as long as player have to set it individually and/or there's too much automation (like total auto-rearming in X-Com 1). Just the same as with building queues in complex strategy games.

With equipment templates, we can define something like - "recon 1" equipment set is: light armor, recon light helmet, light titanium insert, flexible trauma insert, camouflage suit, (insert some weapons here)... "assault 1" is: heavy armor, heavy helmet, medium steel insert, flexible trauma insert, ... "heavy 1" is: heavy armor, heavy helmet, heavy ceramic insert, steel trauma insert...

Then just select template, and soldier is equipped.

Winter mission ? Drag&drop heat suit and white camouflage cloak here and there. Or add single "climate" template to all templates and adjust it as needed. But no "paper-dolling" on individual soldiers is ever necessary. If X-Com operatives are troop together, they must have some standards in equipment, right ?

IMO, set of locations should be body's property and used everywhere - available for called shots, used for critical damage registration and subsets covered with armor pieces.

For humanoids i'd propose location set not quite Fallout-like: head (with eyes), arm (with hand), leg (with foot), upper torso + abdomen.

Wanted it both in X-Com and Fallout:Tactics. :)

As regards to nightvision, tactical communicators, etc - while such things can be too small to occupy body slot exclusively, attaching item to armor piece / body location allows to define when it can be damaged and when cannot. Just as flashlight (or grenade) in pocket.

I personally LIKE the paperdoll method, in Apoc they had the mass equip keys, so I Really dont see whats so bad about clicking a couple of times, in comparison to all the fun you can have making your troops look DIFFERANT! >:(

I use marsec helmets in Apoc to tell who is or is not a mutant.

I usually have them closer to the back anyhow with a sniper :P

But Yeah, if you can equip differant pieces, but BUY them as a set. I think THAT would be the best solution.

Perhaps we could do it like in Fable, where they have a SUIT button, and then they have all the seperate parts of the outfit.

I still think they should have made a chain helmet in fable >.>..

Bastards.