XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - Active Members

kafros

I haven't seen any of you lately except AteX.
IMHO, the SND should get a bit more organised, and I want to help! Should I collect the needed sound effects, ready sounds (i.e menu beeps) and music songs etc?
We could also try to make-up the SND in the Xenocide Wiki :)

I have to agree. Btw, sorry for the absence lately. Been working on a project (http://www.fernandogonzalezguitar.com) and I still am. Meanwhile I'm also looking for a new job. So, all those things are quite time consuming.

I suggest we do some organising indeed. Collecting effects is a good idea, but making them is better. Can you create sfx? I can do some sfx as well. Oscillator based sounds can be made pretty quick. So, that shouldn't be a problem. If there's a list available for the most needed sfx, where can I find it? (Otherwise, any suggestions?)

cheers,

ATeX

PS: I'm desperately trying to get some more free time in order to work on some musical pieces.

I haven't seen any of you lately except AteX.

IMHO, the SND should get a bit more organised, and I want to help! Should I collect the needed sound effects, ready sounds (i.e menu beeps) and music songs etc?

We could also try to make-up the SND in the Xenocide Wiki :)

Edited by ATeX

Well, I have the needed software to make sound effects...

BUT, the problem is that I don't know any methods for making them! :D

I'm just turning knobs and setting oscillation patterns, and I just HOPE that a sound will come out :D

Worse of all, I don't seem to find good tutorials on the Internet. The "best" ones just provide ready samples and tell you the differences between them! :Tantrum:

Let me look... I know there are some great tutors at reasonstation.net.

Here's one!! :) http://www.reasonstation.net/tutorials/subtractor/

It explains the basics... which is quite all you need. The rest is adding effects and has nothing to do with oscillators.

cheers,

ATeX

Well, I have the needed software to make sound effects...

BUT, the problem is that I don't know any methods for making them! :D

I'm just turning knobs and setting oscillation patterns, and I just HOPE that a sound will come out :D

Worse of all, I don't seem to find good tutorials on the Internet. The "best" ones just provide ready samples and tell you the differences between them!  :Tantrum:

Are there any VIDEO tutorials?

A friend of mine, who is a "wannabe" music composer :D, has a 500MB big tutorial which teaches you how to use Reason 2.5. It is good, but doesn't go "in-depth", especially about synths... Just Basslines, beat variations, plug-ins and song manipulations :\

"looking at the topic..."

hehehe :D it's quite obvious that those guys just summed everything up they could imagine. I don't think those sfx are priority. The battlescape hasn't even been developed, so how do you know what we need and what not. Things like menubuttons, buttonclicks, etc... are more needed at the moment if I'm not mistaking. I also think that we better contact Red Knight about this issue because he has a better view on what's needed and what's not. Let's see what he says :)

cheers,

Mav

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4278

Well, there ARE some "needed lists", both for music and sounds, but 1) they are a bit old, 2) I don't know if any of them are ready, 3) is EVERYTHING needed in there?

I guess it's up to us? :S

hmm... don't know about that one. I'm not shure they'll make something like a video tutor on reasonstation.net. Takes too much bandwith :s. However, it may exist on the web, in a purchasable version, but I never used/searched video tutors. So I'm not shure.

I suggest u try to learn the art of sound ;) on any possible way

going to send a pmsg to RK now...

cya later,

ATeX

Are there any VIDEO tutorials?

A friend of mine, who is a "wannabe" music composer :D, has a 500MB big tutorial which teaches you how to use Reason 2.5. It is good, but doesn't go "in-depth", especially about synths... Just Basslines, beat variations, plug-ins and song manipulations :\

I think that I'll post some nice links that I find, they will be helpful to all of us :)

http://home.t-online.de/home/pegasus-wtal/

http://www.freeloops.co.uk/geeklog/article...3938&mode=print

I will continue to update this page for as long as I find cool and helpful stuff :)

Edited by kafros

Check the Wiki. I thought it was best to work there, so I've organised the Sound Department. Feel free to edit :), comment :D, and even yell if I've done something wrong :unsure: Edited by kafros

I would, if I knew what a Wiki is :blink: sounds creepy...

cheers

Check the Wiki. I thought it was best to work there, so I've organised the Sound Department. Feel free to edit :), comment :D, and even yell if I've done something wrong  :unsure:

I would, if I knew what a Wiki is :blink: sounds creepy...

cheers

Check the Wiki. I thought it was best to work there, so I've organised the Sound Department. Feel free to edit :), comment :D, and even yell if I've done something wrong  :unsure:

Hey ATeX, what do you think about the Wiki?

If you make any changes, put your sig before or after my name, so that I am look out for updates :)

I've updated the Sound Effect list with various stuff...

What should we do? (Check existing sound/music, save it somewhere organised etc)

Ante geia,

Kafros

Hi Kafros!

I think it's great! I haven't had time yet to see what could be added, but I will one of these days. The best thing to do is make the most important sound effects. Almost all music has been made. They're temporary versions, but there is music, so no need to bother. Let's concentrate on sfx. I'll make button sounds somewhere this week.

All my music is placed at one place: in the music folder on xenocide's main ftp server. It might be a good idea to add the missing tracks in that same folder. If you have any time, be my guest :)

cheers,

ATeX

Hey ATeX, what do you think about the Wiki?

If you make any changes, put your sig before or after my name, so that I am look out for updates :)

I've updated the Sound Effect list with various stuff...

What should we do? (Check existing sound/music, save it somewhere organised etc)

Ante geia,

Kafros

All my music is placed at one place: in the music folder on xenocide's main ftp server. It might be a good idea to add the missing tracks in that same folder. If you have any time, be my guest :)

Do I have ftp access?!?!? O_o

And, I can't just work alone, we have to set a way of acting:

There are just SO MANY threads which have i.e. menu button sounds! Which one to choose? Do we already have some folders for FTP access? (Snd -> Music, Sound effects -> (various categories= aliens, menu, events etc).

:Brickwall:

Let's do the "dirty" work!! :Leek: :Leek:

Ante geia,

Kafros

Every project member has FTP access as far as I know

look at this thread. Everything is in there.

Music should be organised. Sfx however.... I know there are many threads with button sounds. But in order to keep them a bit coherent, I'd make everything from scratch, with the same program and methods. That way you get sfx that belong togheter. Sounds like menu buttons don't need hours of work. Also, if it's made by one of the team members, they really belong to xenocide. I'll make some sfx packets.

cheers,

ATeX

• 2 weeks later...

Pheww, I DO HOPE that I have permission to do this:

I've created a folder in the server via FTP called "Sound effects". You can find more subcategories there, at the moment:

*Alien

*Enviroment

*Equipment

*Human

*Menu Beeps

*Unsorted

I've uploaded all the ready sfx I've found to the according folders. Let's update the wiki, and find more effects ^_^

Edit: I didn't include sounds made in 2003 and early 2004, they were randomly packaged, in mp3 format, and of poor/moderate quality. Should we also include them? :\

Edited by kafros

Nice to see you working that dedicated! But, I have to ask you to wait till I finished the new management system. I figured it out on paper already. I'll try to get everything fixed tomorrow. For example: sample x made by member x in category x with status x; all this data is needed. So if u put all samples togheter, that's perfect, but it's important to remember at least the author. For the rest, I would like to ask you to wait till tomorrow when I publish a standard way of working. That way, double work will be prevented and everything will be much more manageable.

cheers,

ATeX

• 1 month later...

Wow, I can post somewhere =D

I'm back... been busy with real life stuff. Everything seems to have settled down now, so I can actually do some work on some tracks ^_^

• 1 month later...

So people, I got a wonderful M-Audio Keystation 49e keyboard :)

Reason and FL Studio await my orders :D

Unfortunately, I am not a good "commander", and most online tutorials don't help much. Got any ideas? Even better, can YOU make a good tutorial for me? ^_^ :P

And, Cavoe and Atex are the only people active in here right now? 0_o

Hey great!! I got me the exact same keyboard for my mobile studio! :)

One thing, if the online info in the SND DEPT isn't enough, I can't help you any more. Everything is in there. Just do it! Play music, hear music, read information, tutorials and theory. If you don't really want to sacrifice an effort, you're never going to reach the point you actually would like to reach.

You need to focus on the matter! Concentrate! Now stop reading this reply and be busy with music! ;)

cheers,

ATeX

Just do it! Play music, hear music, read information, tutorials and theory. If you don't really want to sacrifice an effort, you're never going to reach the point you actually would like to reach

Well, I just wanted to save some time... This year it's 12th grade at school, and believe me, greek 12th grade is f***ing time-consuming. Primary focus: Studying for the Panhellenic examinations :P. No time to *seriously* study programming, music etc. :P

Because no1 will force me not to work on my computer :D :devillaugh:

You need to focus on the matter! Concentrate! Now stop reading this reply and be busy with music! ;)

LOL, that's what I tell to myself all the time :P

Actually, I just have to control my fingers a bit more so that I can sync my 49e with the beat, and then I just have to play with envelopes and effects (and maybe find some good string/beat samples). Then, just some inspiration to make a good melody. Some tuning-up, and here you are, a nice song! :)

Good luck with your work At!

Ante geia,

kafros

unfortunately time seems to be THE major problem for all of us :(

But what you can do is: spend 15 min every day for studying music with a well tought schema. For example: first week learn all the scales, second week learn to play those scales, third week learn the basic chords, fourth week play those chords... etc etc

And stick to that program. You'll be making great music in a couple of months, which is really fast. Keep in mind I grew up in a classical musical family and have been involved with music for about... erm.... whole my life :). I started 3 years ago with real electronic composition and the right tools (Reason). So in 3 years you can do major things. But just don't expect to start making kick arse music tomorrow after having read the manual of Cubase. Just keep on going... it's like building a castle with your bare hands.

I can give you major guidelines that will lead you into the right direction for composition.

First learn as much as you can about music, no electronics, just music and your instrument. Don't you touch an electronic device before you learned enough (a week won't do; take some months)

Secondly you learn to compose in a decent way, no electronics involved either.

Then, only then, after having learned that much; till it came out of your ears; you start learning to sequence.

THEN you learn to mix.

And FINALLY you learn to master everything.

what a list huh :) The thing is, that should also be the order of composing something. You can always start with the end, but the best result comes with this order of composition. Put that in your ears very well! very important

if you've got any questions, you know my nick :Dµ

good luck!

-ATeX

0_o! I've been studying the saxophone for 7 years now, and I can make up some nice articulations. Thus, music theory is not a problem :). Although I don't know other scales than the basic 2 (major, minor), or many chords by heart, I actually find music theory rather booooooooring ;)

Heheheee, I know what you mean by studying for a big time period. Same problem with C++ programming :P

Actually, if you "spread" in too many fields, you may become good, but not good enough. We don't have infinite time, so we have to focus :)

Actually, what I would love right now is a general guide-line for making synths and very general ones for how to choose the right samples.

Experimenting seems to be the only solution :Brickwall: . Oh well :)

You can always start with the end, but the best result comes with this order of composition. Put that in your ears very well! very important

good luck!

-ATeX

Ty :)

Edited by kafros

concercing scales... which are quite important. Major and minor are the basic scales. But if you learn how to play blues and jazz scales, a whole new world appears. I think everything is in the resources forum ;)

I know what you mean by spreading into fields. The quickest way to go for composition is train your inner ear. Learn to hear harmonics and be able to identify that immediately. It's not an easy job. But if you want to become good at composition only, that's the way to go! I know one program that does exactly this thing. It's called EarMaster and you can find it here.

Not to bother your focus on the electronic development. But if you know harmonics, you know how frequencies can raise your hairs on you arm and reach that exact emotional value. So you could play some great sounding synths without any value because the harmony has no strength. I don't think that's your goal, is it? So first learn the harmony, then the synths.

Btw, synth theory can also be found in the resources forum. Ah, and keep in mind, music theory is very very important is it's the base of everything. But anyways, once you get far enough, rules are meant to be broken ;)

cheers,

ATeX

Edited by ATeX

So you could play some great sounding synths without any value because the harmony has no strength. I don't think that's your goal, is it? So first learn the harmony, then the synths.
You got a point :hmmm:

Btw, synth theory can also be found in the resources forum. Ah, and keep in mind, music theory is very very important is it's the base of everything. But anyways, once you get far enough, rules are meant to be broken ;)

Then, Silexz is a liar? :blink:

He says that has achieved all his work by year (and MUCH practice :P). I've also heard that by many other people. BASIC music theory is just vital, but I think you don't need a degree in musical studies in order to be good

Cheerz! :wink1:

Edited by kafros

a degree doesn't mean anything indeed. You could have a degree and make very bad music. The other story is true as well. Many jazz musicians don't have any degree of any kind. They just learned to play by ear and conquered the world.

Theory doens't mean anything if you don't bring it to practise. At least, that counts for music. But without theory your going to search a long time for the same result. People already constructed the highway to follow. By foot you're a long way from home. Just use it intelligently. :)

cheers,

ATeX

Hi there, Just stopped by to tell that i am still alive :) . I have been working with some new music and upgraded old stuff, if there is still need. Anyway its nice to see what great progress this project has taken.

• 1 month later...

I guess I'm a recruit again :)

So assign me something please.

I'd like to work on the human rifle sounds. I've already posted some reload sounds for it. So maybe I can just add some firing sounds and that will be something we can put a big "DONE" by.

ETA: Why don't you go ahead and add everything you can think of that is need to the BUGS genie? It would help get tasks assigned I think...

Edited by Stow

Well, as far as I now, there is nothing "needed" right now. Just do what you can and want to do

1) Spread the word about the Xenocide SND :P

2) Get some music done (Mission enter/Terror site-Alien Base enter/an alternative to planetview maybe...)

3) SFX, ex. the rifle sounds you mentioned :)

4) Add links in the resources (look around the SND forum)

5) Tell us of some nice songs which may speed-up our inspiration :P :D

Some personal brainstorming... ATeX, edit me if I am wrong :blush1: :)

Well, actually everything is needed. It's better to have the SND dept a few steps ahead of the project development status.

Stew, "human rifle sfx" is bug 159. Just add "bug 159" to the comment in the topic title when posting in the active sfx forum. Create at will ;)

And no, I'm not adding everything to the bugtracker. I need to keep track of the current WIPs. One step at a time. Either way, if someone would like to start on a needed track of sfx, first PM me.

cheers,

ATeX

• 1 month later...