XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ctd - General Security Measures

Ruivo

After some hours and one power cut later i've finally managed to write a draft about it:

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Organization/Project Xenocide/General Security

Due to the delicate nature of the Xenocide project, and the complete failure of the Counter-Alien Force (CAF), special attention was paid by the UN when designing the first X-Corps base. Realizing that it is impossible to know the extent of any potential government infiltration done by the aliens, only the most wealthy and influential of the nations were invited to fund the project, and even so no information as to the location of the bases, possible designs and involved personel are to be disclosed, unless extremally nescessary.

One of the first measures, is that the X-Corps commander is given free choice as to where the bases are to be installed, and as such, only he and a select few - that are responsible for bringing council observers and freight/personnel transports in and out - know the exact coordinates of the bases.

Another decision that was made, is that all bases are to be underground, preferably country-side, and all access points are camouflaged to blend in with the terrain. When transfering supplies, no ground vehicles or excessively roarin craft are to be used, and under no circunstances aerial craft are to engage landing procedures or remain for too long in the base's air space when alien activity has been detected in the area.

Security inside the bases have also been studied and discussed in an extensive manner to make the base both highly secured with all delicate information contained, and at the same time offering the most possible confortable living space for the assigned personel.

Beginning with the access facility - the only entrance to the base, together with the landing pads - no visible operating devices are to be found outside the bulkheads, and as such only a couple of identification cameras are well hidden in the vicinities, location of wich only authorized personnel have knowlodge. After positive identification, the access facility bulkheads are opened, and the hydraulic lift comes up to the surface so that any transporting and supplying operation may take place.

Beeing the main entrance point, it has been defined that, despite all the security measures, there is the slight possibility of the aliens trying to invade the bases, and if they attempt to do so, the access facility will be their only way in. With that in mind, extensive security measures will only add to the consequent inhospitability and inoperability caused by them, since it has been speculated that the aliens will stop at nothing to invade the bases, and due to their possible highly advanced technology, they will succeed sooner or later. In this case, it is recommended that engineers build at least two levels for the lift to go through before arriving at the main base level, and that blast doors should be installed between the access point and the rest of the base.

Although designed to hide the base, security measures don't end there, since the location of the X-Corps' bases isn't the only information that the aliens could use. Details about X-Corps operations, internal structure and base layout, long-range communications and about the R&D department itself, should not be allowed at any cost to fall in the enemy hands.

Blueprints of any equipment that the X-Corps develop is to remain inside the research and engineering facilities, and only in digital format. As such, the X-Corps employ their own engineering facilities so that the many items may be built without external interferance; All personnel is neurally hipnotized by Section 9 not to reveal any details about their work in the rare ocasions when they're allowed go to the outside world for a few days or weeks to relieve stress; Jamming stations are in place to prevent using of long-range cell phones; Personal communication is to be done only via eletronic mail, and although there is no censorship officers hired to read personal data, all e-mails go through a Artificial-Intelligent state of the art firewall that removes any reference to classified data.

It has been said that all those security measures creates some inconfortability, and in some cases inconvenience. But should the aliens find out where X-Corps' bases are, or gain access to internal data, they may exploit weaknesses that would cause a disaster worse than the C.A.F. And general consent accepts that this is far worse than ruining the confort of a few people.

"-Ok, so here we are in the middle of nowhere.. Where is the base?

- There son, say hello to that banana." Security Officer to a Council Observer

Note that i purposely wrote that the access facility is considered the only way for any invading troops to enter the base, due to the cockiness of someone behind the project.. :P

Think this should be considered a sparetime little idea, but any brainstorming would be very appreciated :D

I've also took the liberty of adding info about tzuchan's Section 9, please correct or add anything as you see fit :)

Edited by Ruivo

A very nice first draft :)

There are some points where the phrasing needs improvement but they'll be soon corrected. I made many spelling/grammar/syntax corrections which I haven't coloured.

I have to disagree on one point though: The access lift isn't the only way in. In X-Com:EU Aliens also spawned in the hangars

In addition, the neural hypnotization of section9 members seems a bit too much, what do others say?

General Security

Due to the delicate nature of Project Xenocide and the complete failure of the Counter-Alien Force (CAF), special attention was paid by the UN when designing the first X-Corps base. Realizing that it is impossible to know the extent of any potential government infiltration done by the Aliens, only the most wealthy and influential of the nations were invited to fund the project, and even so no information as to the location of the bases, possible designs and involved personnel are to be disclosed, unless extremely necessary.

One of the first measures is that the X-Corps commander is given free choice as to where the bases are to be installed, and as such, only he and a select few -such as those responsible for council observer, personnel and freight transportation- know the exact coordinates of the bases.

Another decision that was made is that all bases are to be underground, preferably in the countryside, and all access points are camouflaged to blend with the terrain. When transferring supplies, no ground vehicles or excessively roaring strepitous? craft are to be used, and under no circumstances aerial craft are to engage landing procedures or remain for too long in the base's air space when alien activity has been detected in the area.

Security inside the bases have also been studied and discussed in an extensive manner to make the base both highly secured with all delicate information contained, and at the same time offering the most possible comfortable living space for the assigned personnel.

Beginning with the access facility - the only entrance to the base, together with the landing pads - no visible operating devices are to be found outside the bulkheads, and as such only a couple of identification cameras are well hidden in the area, location of which only authorized personnel have knowledge. After positive identification, the access facility bulkheads are opened, and the hydraulic lift comes up to the surface so that any transporting and supplying operation may take place.

Being the main entrance point, it has been defined that, despite all the security measures, there is the slight possibility of the Aliens trying to invade the bases, and if they attempt to do so, the access facility will be their only way in. With that in mind, extensive security measures will only add to the consequent inhospitality and inoperability caused by them, since it has been speculated that the Aliens will stop at nothing to invade the bases, and due to their possible highly advanced technology, they will succeed sooner or later. In this case, it is recommended that engineers build at least two levels for the lift to go through before arriving at the main base level, and that blast doors should be installed between the access point and the rest of the base.

Although designed to hide the base, security measures don't end there, since the location of the X-Corps' bases isn't the only information that the Aliens could use. Details about X-Corps operations, internal structure and base layout, long-range communications and about the R&D department itself, should not be allowed at any cost to fall in the enemy hands.

Blueprints of any equipment that the X-Corps develop are to remain inside the research and engineering facilities, and only in digital format. As such, the X-Corps employ their own engineering facilities so that the many items may be built without external interference; All personnel is neuraly hypnotized by Section 9 not to reveal any details about their work in the rare occasions when they're allowed go to the outside world for a few days or weeks to relieve stress; Jamming stations are in place to prevent using of long-range cell phones; Personal communication is to be done only via electronic mail, and although there is no censorship officers hired to read personal data, all e-mails go through a Artificial-Intelligent state of the art firewall that removes any reference to classified data.

It has been said that all those security measures create some inconvertibility, and in some cases inconvenience. But should the Aliens find out where X-Corps' bases are, or gain access to internal data, they may exploit weaknesses that would cause a disaster worse than the C.A.F. And general consent accepts that this is far worse than ruining the comfort of a few people.

"- Ok, so here we are in the middle of nowhere.. Where is the base?

- There son, say hello to that banana. ", Security Officer to a Council Observer

It's a good first draft. However, one thing I think we need to settle on is this: How much does the personnel know about the location of the base? The pilots will definitely have to know. It's hard to land a craft when you have no idea where to land :P. The grunts should be briefed at least on their current base... Since they leave the base on fairly regular basis, it won't be surprising if they figured out where the base is anyway. Section 9 and Section 10 will know in a highly compartmentalize system. Although Section 10 agents may have full knowledge of ll the bases' coordinates in order to know if someone has access to those.

Scientists and engineers can do their work not knowing where the base is, so I see that as one information they will not have access to. Also, I think that in order to maximize security, all transportation to and from the bases is handled by X-Corps itself. X-Corps will receive supplies and personnels from the X-Corps Funding Firms(XCFF) and sent items/discharged personnel via the XCFF. The XCFF will be shipping things through a very circuitous manner, likely going on a grand tour of the planet before being picked up by X-Corps or being passed to the final destination.

And I agreed with Kafros that hangers should be talked about. Not only that, a more detailed look at what is to be done in the event of a base incursion. IE: Flushing all current research data to the X-Net so that current research is not lost, then dumping the database to prevent capture. Evacuation procedures for none combat staff and the crafts. Also, while I like the mention of the Section 9, if they are even a slightest bit as black-ops as by CT suggested, they won't be mentioned on any of the general access documents. I'm not quite sure where this document would rank, as it contains information that the general population of the base should know. One possibility is to add a top secret level classified section.

Indeed i haven't thought about who would have access to that entry.. Maybe the general base personnel could know about the existence of the section 9 officers, but just not know what their true purpose is. Perhaps they would belive the neural hipnotizing and general security to be their function. Like some episodes of MiB i used to see, where they would pose as an Enviromental Protection Agency that kills insects, or even as health and sanitary inspectors.. But indeed even that would rise some suspicions.. Maybe completely removing mention to Section 9 and just stating that all personnel sign a contract, which says - amongst all other things - that in the case they want to take a quick visit to their relatives, they accept beeing hipnotized not to reveal classfied info by the base "psychiatrists". They have a bloated paycheck anyway.. :P

As i mentioned i've left out any mentions of potential usage of the hangars as entry points by the aliens, because i've thought that, since it's a new-game entry, covering all aspects of potential (and furthermore real) threats would look unrealistic. Maybe to add that feel of "Oh man! Why haven't we thought on that before?"

Indeed pilots should know the location of the bases, it's possible to put them amongst those "select few".. Maybe that would be a reason as to why we don't get to hire pilots from the pool of pontential personnel.. they are already assigned by people who knows and trust them :)

Talking about the XCFF is preciselly what i had in mind, but i still have to do further reading on the internal structure ct, so i felt that it would be better for you to write anything about it if possible :)

Further information on what is to be done in the case of an base invasion would be better written in the Alien Retaliation ct i've thought.. mainly because it would make this one too big. But if u guys think it would look better here, i can write about it tomorrow :D

Edited by Ruivo

Further information on what is to be done in the case of an base invasion would be better written in the Alien Retaliation ct i've thought.. mainly because it would make this one too big. But if u guys think it would look better here, i can write about it tomorrow :D

The problem is the Alien Retaliation is only available after it's obtain by research. The base invasion procedures should be discussed in this CT because not only should this have been planned for already(Otherwise the first time your base got hit, you'd have 100+ researchers and engineers running around...) and be a common knowledge thing.

Also, don't worry about the CT getting too long. We work on the texts to provide a sense of immersion for the players. Those who want to feel more a part of the X-Corps world will like this kind of stuff, while those just aiming to play the game can safely ignore the texts.

Also, don't worry about the CT getting too long. We work on the texts to provide a sense of immersion for the players. Those who want to feel more a part of the X-Corps world will like this kind of stuff, while those just aiming to play the game can safely ignore the texts.

Indeed, when writting a CT it's better to have 2 points in mind:

• Writting style
  • "Do I answer all/most possible questions a reader could have?", that's the part thuzchan helped much in his previous post :) ^_^

For start it's better to work on #2, #1 can be corrected at any time ;)

That can backfire as well. Remember the "Janet" flights out of McCarren International airport (Las Vegas) which go to Area 51? They were found out rather quickly. :wink1:

It's best though, if the people stationed at a base never leave. I mean, why even bother constructing a living quarters if the personnel never stay? Seems counterproductive. :blink2:

- Zombie

So you think of the "If you come with us, forget the outside world"-model?

I think it would apply to scientists, engineers and soldiers (definitely soldiers). Whom else?

I always thought that X-Corps works with that model in mind, but it seems a bit cruel. In addition, if they decide not to join X-Corps, how will you make sure that they'll never talk?

I don't remember, where was MiB's HQ located?

No problem. They are hired through the XCFF - all they know they are hired by a private sector company in close proximity to their country's government. And that this company wants to enroll them with the blessing of their government to a "need to know"-only basis and that they will be gone from the face of the world for the next few years if they take it.

General Security

Due to the delicate nature of Project Xenocide and the complete failure of the Counter-Alien Force (CAF), special attention was paid by the UN when designing the first X-Corps base. Realizing that it is impossible to know the extent of any potential government infiltration done by the Aliens, only the most wealthy and influential of the nations were invited to fund the project, and even so no information as to the location of the bases, possible designs and involved personnel are to be disclosed, unless extremely necessary.

One of the first measures is that the X-Corps commander is given free choice as to where the bases are to be installed, and as such, only he and a select few -such as those responsible for council observer, personnel and freight transportation- know the exact coordinates of the bases.

Another decision that was made is that all bases are to be underground, preferably in the countryside, and all access points are camouflaged to blend with the terrain. When transferring supplies, no ground vehicles or excessively strepitous craft are to be used, and under no circumstances aerial craft are to engage landing procedures or remain for too long in the base's air space when alien activity has been detected in the area.

Security inside the bases have also been studied and discussed in an extensive manner to make the base both highly secured with all delicate information contained, and at the same time offering the most possible comfortable living space for the assigned personnel.

Beginning with the access facility - the only entrance to the base, together with the landing pads - no visible operating devices are to be found outside the bulkheads, and as such only a couple of identification cameras are well hidden in the area, location of which only authorized personnel have knowledge. After positive identification, the access facility bulkheads are opened, and the hydraulic lift comes up to the surface so that any transporting and supplying operation may take place.

Being the main entrance points, it has been defined that, despite all the security measures, there is the slight possibility of the Aliens trying to invade the bases, and if they attempt to do so, the access facility will be their only way in. With that in mind, extensive security measures will only add to the consequent inhospitality and inoperability caused by them, since it has been speculated that the Aliens will stop at nothing to invade the bases, and due to their possible highly advanced technology, they will succeed sooner or later.

In this case, it is recommended that engineers build at least two levels for the lift to go through before arriving at the main base level, and that blast doors should be installed between the access point and the rest of the base.

Special attention should also be paid to the landing pads. In the case of a possible invasion, any craft found inside the base should be evacuated, and enemy troops may attempt to enter the base when the aircraft is beeing launched

In an attempt to cover all possible situations, a very quick emergency evacuation procedure has been proposed, and extensively studied to allow all non-combat equipment and base personnel to be secured and/or evacuated in the few minutes between failing to shoot down an enemy aircraft, and the landing of enemy troops.

After confirmation of an suscessfull enemy incursion, the procedure is started. Anyone that does not have any military training, like engineers, scientists and physicians should be secured in underground bunkers, reachable through strategically placed entry points beneath loosen floor tiles, that are bolted shut from the inside when all personnel has entered.

The bunkers themselves are highly secure, beeing installed right after the access facility, and only requires an insignificant amount of money to mantain their refrigeration and air recycling units, when not occupied. These bunkers can accommodate up to 100 people in each module, and sustain life for days, sometimes weeks, depending on the number of people inside them. It has been decided that no rescue attempts will be made if the base is lost though

Although designed to hide the base, security measures don't end there, since the location of the X-Corps' bases isn't the only information that the Aliens could use. Details about X-Corps operations, internal structure and base layout, long-range communications and about the R&D department itself, should not be allowed at any cost to fall in the enemy hands.

Blueprints of any equipment that the X-Corps develop are to remain inside the research and engineering facilities, and only in digital format. As such, the X-Corps employ their own engineering facilities so that the many items may be built without external interference; All personnel is neuraly hypnotized by Section 9 not to reveal any details about their work in the rare occasions when they're allowed go to the outside world for a few days or weeks to relieve stress; Jamming stations are in place to prevent using of long-range cell phones; Personal communication is to be done only via electronic mail, and although there is no censorship officers hired to read personal data, all e-mails go through a Artificial-Intelligent state of the art firewall that removes any reference to classified data.

It has been said that all those security measures create some inconvertibility, and in some cases inconvenience. But should the Aliens find out where X-Corps' bases are, or gain access to internal data, they may exploit weaknesses that would cause a disaster worse than the C.A.F.

"- Ok, so here we are in the middle of nowhere.. Where is the base?

- There son, say hello to that banana. ", Security Officer to a Council Observer

I don't think that the personnel should be evacuated to the outside of the base.. This would take too much time, and would be too risky. Not to mention that if that really happened as mentioned in UFO Defense, we wouldn't lose our engineers and scientists if the base is lost :P

I also couldn't think in anything to explain why wouldn't x-corps try to rescue its people after a base has been destroyed.. All i know is that it doesn't :P

Everything should be written and read in the contract before anyone sign up.. and maybe the only ones who would leave the base, would be personnel temporally relieved by the medical teams because of stress, overwork, etc.

It's safe to assume that they all accept all those measures when they sign up.. even in an apocaliptic world, money would be very temptating i guess :P If it looks good, i think i can write an general contract document, or even a few ones for each of the more important personnel like scientists and soldiers, after relieving some pressure on the hotlist.

I don't remember, where was MiB's HQ located?

That depends, in the movies it was in a building with that huge fan, located in a city.. think it was New York. But in the series it was on an abandoned airport.. they've said they had to move the HQ because a Hollywood director had made a movie that revealed the location of their old HQ, in the city :P

Edited by Ruivo