XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Writers Guideline

Guest Azrael Strife

I strongly suggest to everyone to take a look at this guideline in the Documentation site, especially to new recruits who might feel a little lost or confused about how we work here. Please take your time and read, thanks.

Writers' Guideline

Also, for new recruits this could be useful as well, the updated Xenocide general FAQ.

FAQ

I hope this all comes handy to you, if you do have more questions, please PM a member of the CTD and we will help you :)

Az

• 3 years later...

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, but what tense should CT's be written in? In my opinion, all texts should be written in the present tense. Past tense makes the report sound like, well, old news. :)

BTW: I unlocked this topic in order to post as I didn't find any other open threads discussing this. ;)

- Zombie

I agree, present works well. Although, there would be some exceptions, for example at autopsies:

"We poked the raptor, and it said "ouch my belly!", so now we know that it's still alive after death" ( crazy ^_^ )

It would be a bit difficult to convert it to an "all-present" sentence. That is, ok, you can say:

"Once poked, the raptor cries out "ouch my belly", thus we know that it's still alive after death"

I hope you get my point

P.S. I couldn't find it either, although I'm sure that it has been mentioned. Maybe inside a CT...

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, but what tense should CT's be written in? In my opinion, all texts should be written in the present tense. Past tense makes the report sound like, well, old news. :)

BTW: I unlocked this topic in order to post as I didn't find any other open threads discussing this. ;)

- Zombie

Very good question. Normally I would disagree: the CTs are meant to be scientific reports which always are written in the past, since they are reports of things you have done. However, if you are talking about things like alien tactics, I would write a mixture like:

"It has been discussed in the R&D team whether or not viper soldiers eat powerbars before battle, since our soldiers report a sweet fruity stench long before the alien can be seen. Due to recent discoveries, we can now state, that in fact, they prefer an oily liquid containing what indeed seems to be powerbar residues. Analysis of this liquid has yielded that the mixture seems to contain not only acetone, but also benzole amongst other volatile aromatic carbon-hydroxides, thus, according to further research, beeing the only means to dissolve a powerbar. Our recommendation is to use flamables whenever possible to ignite the vipers regurgitation products."

Edit: Of course I should clarify, that "the Aliens are a powerful opponent. But we have developed a new powerful weapon that will proove effective against the tactics the aliens are employing." Just like that the "Gryphon is a very versatile air dominance fighter but the Vengeance will ensure x-corps air dominance"

So basically, as unsatisfying this might be, I can see no general rule in which tense a CT should be written.

Edited by Mad