• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooooooh your friend is getting better with each drawing :D

Tell him to do more! hehehe

Maybe detailed guns?

Or detailed aliens posing?

consider these the rough draft...I'll ask him to do some full size front and side view pictures of each one. With a couple pics of each alien it will significantly increase our ability to accurately model them after the sketches.

NO GANGSTA!! that muton would kick your arse :devilsmile:

anyways the point why i write is that i would need male and female body sketches and both of em in at least 3 views (front, top, right/left) to start modelling em :D as soon as i finish the current models. but id like em ASAP :).

there is ofcooz another way but then i would do only female model fo reasons that i wont utter here and then the model could end up with mo detail than needed :devillaugh:

over'n'out

• 3 months later...
I'm trying to get him to do a cryssalid now....eventually we 3d artists may have difficulty keeping up with his drawings...I know this muton would be pretty difficult to model like this....

"Geht nich, gibt's nich ! Kann ich nich, will ich nich hören !" - As my boss tends to say.

"Don't go, it don't give! I can't, I don't want to hear!"

Nothing is impossible!!! ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

I think number 2 looks tougher. But I like the look of nr 1 better. It's looking more like a killing machine then number two. So I like number One better in the way of braindead, big killing thingie as a muton are. That is what I think of Mutons :rolleyes:

;O)

Best Regards

/

Ion

I always pictured the Mutons as the smarter of the aliens...wait wait I take that back...Ion is probably right...they were like the big bullies of the aliens and as we all know the bullies are usually the dumbest of the class...but the Mutons sure are tough and the #1 Muton just doesn't look as tough as they should look...I think they should be more muscular that is

Guest drewid

I can see what you were aiming for with the first muton.

best is muton2 for sure. he looks nails and the sketch is strong as well.

Edited by j'ordos

Hey -

So, I was watching Sci-Fi last night, and they must have been having a WishMaster marathn or somethig like that. I was thinking that Mutons would be great with the BODY of the Wishmaster, perhaps more muscular.

Heres the best pic I could find, but its not so good...

I was also thinking, it would be really great if the textures for the Muton skin had tattoos or something similar. Alien marking and such. It would give a nice barbaric warrior vibe.

Gold

wish.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
i know im kinda late here, but regarding to the mutant talk, the first mutant looks tough like, not tough im going to beat you up, but tough like if you mess with me i will kill you. the second one looks like a body builder and the armor is strange. but i actually like the second model two, i think there was a suggestion to combine the two somehow... i think making the first one a bit more beefy would be good?

• 3 weeks later...
Well it looked more muton to me also, but i have made enough of them already.

Well, sorry to be an 4rse, but all your previous mutons weren't all that good, they looked tough and nasty, jet they lacked the look of an real opponent, they looked like apes that had been taught to hold and shoot a gun. Not like extraterrestial elite soldiers! I'm not saying your art is bad, it just isn't accurate? :huh: Or is it, by the way, is there as of now a description of mutons around?

However this latest has that elite soldier look...

It is just that i always have imagined mutons as primal creatures, maybe close relation to earlier humans. Aliens just genetically altered them to be nasty bastards

They are actually described in X-Com as strong and intelligent carnivores...

Guest Jim69
Yup, but 4 our purposes I think they should just b thugs. If they are so damned intelligent why are they run by the Etherials? And why can't they use Psi?

Well i didnt really have time to read those descriptions, i was playing the game u know :P . Seriosly i didnt remember that, i should read them more carefully next time.

Edit: i agree with Jim69, mutons should be stupid :)

Edited by Raven Squad

Yup, but 4 our purposes I think they should just b thugs. If they are so damned intelligent why are they run by the Etherials? And why can't they use Psi?

They aren't really that smart, but pretty smart though. Besides, humans can't use psi without psiamps, right? And the aliens don't give anything like that to the Mutons, to keep them in firm control. Also, the Mutons are essentially predators, so, name a predator that is less intelligent than it's prey, barring humans...

Edit: i agree with Jim69, mutons should be stupid

Why?

Edited by Aosar

While they are stupid, that doesnt mean that their senses are inferior. Their brains are more focused to their smell, sight and hearing. Or something... :) . And by stupid i mean that they would have generally less intelligence than average human.

And by stupid i mean that they would have generally less intelligence than average human.

Yes, but you still haven't explained to me; why?

And they are genetically engineered to be soldiers. Why would anyone make soldiers that are stupid? Yes, they may be lacking in intelligence when it comes to things like poetry or science, but they aren't made to be artist of scientist, they are made to kill! And in that they are good!

Guest Jim69

Simple. Soldiers don't think. They do as they are told and follow their instincts. They don't need 2 b great tactitions, that's the Etherials job, they are meant 2 be controlled by them BTW, read the UFOpaedia entry, they die without the link to the Eths.

The reason they should be thugs is, well, look at em. It doesn't seem 2 fit that they are the strongest race ( physically, they can take 3-5 h. plasma hits and smile :o) and intelligent. IMO they should look and act like gorilla's ( hairless tho ), as that is what they reminded me most of.

Simple. Soldiers don't think.

Hmm, let's run that sentence(sp?) by someone that has military training and see what they have to say about that... ;)

They are more easily controlled, no remorse or pity. Perfect soldiers that do not hesitate. And are expendable.

True, but you forget that they are engineered to obey and to fight in wars, nothing more or nothing less. War is their purpose, their only use, so in that they must be good. Of the sentient aliens Sectoids and Etherials are clearly more intelligent than humans!

And by stupid i mean that they would have generally less intelligence than average human.

Even if they are less intelligent than man, they still are more focused in their intelligence, they know war, but war is all they know, you know?

Edited by j'ordos

Guest Jim69
Simple. Soldiers don't think.

Hmm, let's run that sentence(sp?) by someone that has military training and see what they have to say about that... ;)

What is the first thing the military teaches u? Follow orders. Don't think, act. Rely on instinct. Your NCO will give u the orders, u follow. Obviously when u r the patrol leader or higher u have 2 think strategically, but ur basic private's opinion doesn't mean jack. Remember that the Muton's orders are all given by the Etherials, so basically the Mutons are like a race of Privates. T

hey only need a hunter's instinct and the ability to follow orders without thinking, which is where hardly any intelligence is not only fine to follow in this mold, it would be an advantage.

The smarter u r the more u start 2 think about what u r doing. Why are u killing all this race, it doesn't benifit u. All u want 2 do is eat. Why not eat the Etherials, they are a lot weaker than the humans. Coz they control them, and the smarter they are the harder it is to control someone ( thing ) IMHO.

If all u want 2 do is eat, u have 2 kill 2 eat. You have been ordered to kill, u r hungry there 4 u kill. That is the intellectual level that is required, therefore thats all they should be. The only Psi capable races are the Sectoids and Etherials IIRC, and these are the smartest races.

PS That is muton stupid or not talk is getting nowhere (exept off topic).

True...

I dont think that anybody wants to admid that other one is right so lets end it here.

And true... :Blush:

But, I was right, right? :LOL:

However, I simply have to have the last word;

Coz they control them, and the smarter they are the harder it is to control someone ( thing ) IMHO.

If that would be true shouldn't we be able to control every creature that's less intelligent than us?

Control has very little to do with intellect. Simply the society that we live in greatly molds our minds and opinions, for instance, nowdays it is seen wrong to deal death penalty for crimes other than the most heinous murders and even that is only in few places! So it could be said that the Mutons are molded by the society forced upon them to be obidient and fearless warriors!

Edited by Aosar

• 3 weeks later...

This thread will contain all related topics for the mutons. Please post all your concepts and models here.

EDIT: And let's not worry about how smart the mutons are for now, OK? They can be intelligent without having psi talents, let's leave it at that and dicuss the model concepts here.

Edited by Breunor

I drew up a few concepts for the muton. I figured that since they are so heavily surgically altered (presumably by the sectoids), and their skin is bullet proof, that their skin is an intentional, surgical alteration. I figured the muton would be an all environment, all purpose trooper- at once highly specialized and highly expendable. They have no way of procreating on their own, so there would be no point in having a racial identity that's their own other than pride in their unit.

To this vein I decided to remove it's ability to survive on it's own for extended periods of time and removed it's mouth and replaced it with a filter. I figured that for feeding the Mutons would engage a tube that served as their esophagus that would deliver pre-broken-down nutrients directly into a minimalist digestive system.

For it's bulletproof skin I decided to but the bulletproofness outside of the Muton, enabling it to survive in highly corrosive environments unharmed. I would imagine that this material would be flexible and reactive to the movements of the Muton yet shell like to the touch. I'm playing with all kinds of different colour schemes, currently. I figured I would add more bells and whistles throughout the development, but here is the basic shape I settled on.

Personally, I find the heartless, calculating, single purpose killing machine much more scary than a vicious, craving driven predator.

I also have a first draft that looks a little more sleek if anyone is interested.

Muton_concept2.jpg

I like that concept as well as the pic. If you have more let's see them all. It sounds like a good idea to have them be a unich(sp?) super trooper, especially the tube feeding system. Reminds me of the movie Universal Soldier, they required regular maintenance to keep them at peak effeciency.

Because they are so tough physically, it would reason their makers would prevent them from having any psi talent, otehrwise they could turn on their makers. Maybe because of the extreme metabolic processes needed to keep them alive, they have a shortened lifespan of 5-10 years? Another movie reference, Bladerunner.

Yeah I like it 2, I think some of the head should be flesh tho just 4 the look more like an alien rather than machine, tho machine does fit in with their properties in game. They should look less human as well i think, maybe a different shaped head? Not 2 the extreme of Alien, but a simular shape if u know what I mean.

Wow! Another great drawing.

That said, I notice it looks rather like a robot, which is what I think we aren't trying to convey. Especially that face filter, I think the mouth should come back, except with larger teeth. You could just say mutons are fed intrevenously (sp?) like sectoids and etherials.

Yeah, but making it pure robot is boring. Half and half is better, especially with the head, they shouldn't just look like something off the production line, after all they were a race without implants once upon a time and u should be able 2 see that.

What color is his skin going to be? Is he going to wear armor, or is he already wearing it? The eyes and the filter look more like they belong on a sectopod or something. No offense intended, as it is a great drawing and a concept.

Lastly, if he is going to be a muton, he needs to be signifigantly more muscular. Like rip your arm off and beat you to death with it muscular.

I think he looks a little bit too robotic as well mainly because of the face or lack thereof. If you made the face more organic and lest rotobtic we will probably be more apt to interperate the rest of the creature as an alien or humanoid in body armor instead of a fully robotic creature.