X-com Speed Fix

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Maganda_*

Guest_Maganda_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2004 - 12:48 PM

I am desperateley trying to get this game working. I owned the original on Amiga and loved it! I bought the PC version around 1998. Even on my P200 it ran ridiculously fast, on my new laptop it could break light speed.

I have tried fixing this problem using Turbo, using all the fixes and different versions I could find, and Dosbox.

I am resigned now to believing that the game cannot be played properly on my machine. It seems daft to me that with the phenomenal amount of interest this game still holds, that no-one has made an all-in-one fix (ie. speed, sound, windows, scrolling etc.). But the issue that really bugs me is the speed, especially in Geoscape.

I am aware of a fix such as I have called for, that was made but brought in a new error; that being a lower level of detection of UFOs.

If anyone can tell me of a solution to my problem (preferably quick fix, not fiddly like Dosbox or a system slowdown tool), then I would be eternally grateful.

edit by j'ordos: removed e-mail address.

Edited by j'ordos, 11 February 2008 - 01:54 AM.

#2 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 01:48 PM

I am desperateley trying to get this game working. I owned the original on Amiga and loved it! I bought the PC version around 1998. Even on my P200 it ran ridiculously fast,? on my new laptop it could break light speed.

I have tried fixing this problem using Turbo, using all the fixes and different versions I could find, and Dosbox.

I am resigned now to believing that the game cannot be played properly on my machine. It seems daft to me that with the phenomenal amount of interest this game still holds, that no-one has made an all-in-one fix (ie. speed, sound, windows, scrolling etc.). But the issue that really bugs me is the speed, especially in Geoscape.

I am aware of a fix such as I have called for, that was made but brought in a new error; that being a lower level of detection of UFOs.

If anyone can tell me of a solution to my problem (preferably quick fix, not fiddly like Dosbox or a system slowdown tool), then I would be eternally grateful. Email me ideally or respond here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

are you using the CE or DOS version (or both :) )? In case of the CE, have you already tried xcom ET version, or the alien voices patch?
In case of the DOS version, well, you're stuck with DOSbox or CPU slowdown programs, get the CE.
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#3 Guest_Maganda_*

Guest_Maganda_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2004 - 02:06 PM

Hi there.

I have both DOS and CE! I have that voices patch, but not attempted to install it yet as speed issue means cant be played at all.

I will try and hunt down that ET version. What is different about this version?

Thanks a lot for your help offered so far.

#4 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 03:31 PM

Hi there.

I have both DOS and CE! I have that voices patch, but not attempted to install it yet as speed issue means cant be played at all.

I will try and hunt down that ET version. What is different about this version?

Thanks a lot for your help offered so far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

both ET and alien voices patch have a new geoscape timer, which might solve your problem, although it looks a bit jerky (at least, for me)

they can both be found in the pinned topics in this forum.
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:06 PM

Nice one j'ordos! I have installed ET and to my astonishment it works fine! Game freezes up briefly periodically, but nothing to worry about.

Which sound fix is the best (was the in-mission music always that bad? :D )?

Cheers again!

#6 Kloreep

Kloreep

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 07:18 PM

Nice one j'ordos! I have installed ET and to my astonishment it works fine! Game freezes up briefly periodically, but nothing to worry about.

That happens to me too, if by freeze you mean the time stops for several seconds occassionially; if by freeze you mean you can't access any menus, I haven't had that problem.

Which sound fix is the best (was the in-mission music always that bad?  :D )?

Cheers again!

I believe the in-mission music has always been horrible. I recommend music volume to 0. ;) the sound patch by Mok fixes alien screams, some of which were distorted in CE.

I'd recommed Et overall, as it has some nice features (my favorite is sell-on-manufacture; no more going to my base screens periodically to sell Laser Cannons) though it does have two bugs currently: Prox grenades act like smoke grenades, so don't use them, and don't try to transfer engineers between bases or it'll crash.

Once those bugs are fixed, and Max has integrated Mok's work as he's said he plans to, Et will definitely be the version to play IMO. :b:

Reply to this topic