XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Dwcs.net

Mustang

This was a great Apocalpyse site, it taught me many things. It died a while ago, and I just found it on the internet archive.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041210073737/...com3/index.html

It's really worth looking through if you haven't, especially the organizations part

Is that organization stuff even true? I can't recall if any of it has actually been tested. I only know of the purchasing parts(and transtellar) being accurate, none of the other stuff.

All in all, the page is okay, I guess. I like how there's a lot of pictures available, he really went through the trouble to decorate the page. However, there's some rookie advice he gave. Such placing a single craft shield with max aiming modules. Shields are really an all or nothing thing, anything in between just means you lose more shields. Besides, the X-COM craft can definately hold their own without shields. Or getting two valkyrie/hawks. It's better to use the same money for 6-10 fighting hovercars!

Did he seriously give the sniper rifle a 6 out of 10, and the megapol machine gun a 5? That tears it! :D I get so much better results with the machine gun, it makes the sniper appear as a waste of TUs. Plus, the autocannon with explosives is incredible for busting worms and autoshooting mass boomage. There's no way that should get a 3, it's really good for early game (and pissing off orgs ;) ).

He definately has a thing for the plasma gun, which I never really got the hang of. By the time I can get enough troops with it, I have toxin and devastator weapons. But they make a good alternative if you're slow with the tech.

There's not much information about what soldier weapons do (power and shooting rate are not there), nor about where and why to use them. Same thing with craft weapons, and it'd be nice to see a little more detail on the armor as well.

It is a fun page for a fun game, I'll admit. Maybe I'm just being picky?

The sniper rifle was never good in real-time or turn based. It's, eh, accurate. That's all you can really say about it. Not bad for blowing away brainsuckers over great distances, mind you. I'd still chance throwing an AP grenade at the brainsuckee's feet (in RT) or rely on reaction fire with the machine gun or grapple (in TB) than the sniper rifle.

As for the plasma gun, it works best in RT, but from what I've used of it in TB, it works quite well there as well. You're meant to be using the them well before you get the toxigun. The toxigun is sort of the munchkin of the weapons and outstrips everything except in ammo capacity and accuracy. You should access them by the end of the first week, or raiding the cult should nab you a few of these right off.

The plasma gun can be thought of as a much lighter and one-handed alternative if you like to use the autocannon with AP rounds. I like the HE rounds just as much as everyone else, but they cause too much scenery damage when in property owned by non-hostile organisations. It's better than the sniper rifle in every way except for its accuracy. However, it's much more accurate than most of your other starting weapons - bar the rocket launcher with its auto-homing misiles.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmmm I haven't tried using a Machine Gun just to increase accuracy, I'll have to give that a shot...personally, I'm a big fan of both the auto-cannon and the plasma gun. I use the auto-cannon for my support guys, with my leaders and psis getting the plasma gun.