XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Stun Cannon/ Stun Hwp

mikker

Stun launcher is the only alien weapon that does NOT have an overscaled version attached to the planes. Having this might change the thing about only having 2 identical weapons on the craft....

facts abouth the stun cannon:

cons:

-quite slow and semi-easy to dodge.
-doesn't do any damage to the UFO.
-limited ammo (10-20),
-ammo needed to be manifactured.

pros:

-UFO can't fire its cannons or run away untill after 2-3 seconds when hit.
-Other weapons have 100% chance of hitting, untill after 2-3 seconds when hit.
-both cannon and ammo is cheap and fast to manifacture and research.
-UFO goes down with its engines intact if downed after 2-3 seconds when hit.

As for the tank, its quite the same as the launcher. It just got higher stun damage, and bigger blast radius. Ammo need to be manifactured. Edited by mikker

• 4 weeks later...
Hmm... The ufos are linked directly up to the pilots. So, if we could disorient/stun the pilots, the the craft will be stunned.

Hmm, I'd rather that the weapon had like a 25% chance of stunning the ufo and taking it down with engines intact, but a 75% chance of doing nothing at all. And give the launcher a small magazine capacity, like one or two.

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='May 15 2004, 10:30 AM']Hmm... The ufos are linked directly up to the pilots. So, if we could disorient/stun the pilots, the the craft will be stunned.

Hmm, I'd rather that the weapon had like a 25% chance of stunning the ufo and taking it down with engines intact, but a 75% chance of doing nothing at all. And give the launcher a small magazine capacity, like one or two.[/quote]
hmmm...yeah. And very limited range (think the smallest misile).

• 1 month later...
perhaps the stun tank could be a missile tank loaded with special stun missiles?

maybe the missile tank can even carry 2 or 3 ammo types? i always liked the missile launchers (even more in apocalypse) for their ability to load different types of ammo. set fire to this, blow that up, create a smoke screen there...

Launch anti-alien nerve gas over here...

But I figure the tank would need an entirely different turret. After all, you couldn't load stun bombs into a blaster launcher or rocket launcher...

:huh: why not?

the payload of a projectile is somewhat independent of the shape and propulsion system... take a normal missile, scratch out the high explosive, pump in some high-pressure stun gas, seal the warhead (wrap it with duct tape if you like :) ) and you're done.

well, something like that, at least. so what I'm saying is that you wouldn't need a different type of turret, just a different type of ammo. Edited by Moriarty

Guest KillZone
Well in missles it might be....

Yeh stun tank sounds cool....the game needs better ways of grabbing Sticktoids without having to research alien weapons or use a pointed stick...

I think having a stun feature on a craft would be sweet... Stun the UFO and have the Engine intact.....

most all the time i land at crash site the engine is destroyed :explode:

:happybanana:

Instead of a stun missile for interceptor weapons, how about a localised EMP blast missile? Could also enable capture of Cyberdiscs. :happybanana:

hmm, that would be really nice. but then, you need a captured cyberdisc exactly once. unless we would allow the player to dismantle the cyberdisc and perhaps gain some alien alloys, some elerium and perhaps a large plasma gun in the process.

but this raises another issue: what exactly is the stun weapon principle?
as I see it, there are many ways to stun a living organism, including
electric shock (I believe this is used by the hand-to-hand stun weapon)
low temperature (freeze grenades, perhaps?)
neurotoxic gas (the logical thing in stun launchers, stun missiles etc.)
blunt damage (knockout, the classical way)
psionic attacks (in science fiction. I believe this is being discussed somewhere
in "additional uses of psi" or something)

and then gas is quite ineffective against mechanical things like cyberdiscs. so there we would have

emp (electro-magnetic pulse)
low temperature (might also work)
electric shock (applied to the right spot, of course)
blunt damage (applied to the right spot)
psionic attacks (in psi-controlled mechanical things - which they all are, afaik)

so, what exactly do those stun grenade launchers use? or did I miss something? because in the xcom games, stun grenades were effective against cyberdisks and sectopods. just how did they do that? does anyone remember?

Guest KillZone
They were just Stun Bombs...you never got an explaination...maybe they came with a small EMP...that explains why Power Armour is affected to...

Ohhh an I think there should be some kind of net weapon...like ancient roman gladiatiors, throw a net over it (Obviously with some kind of eletrical current to calm the thing down) Then move in with a load of guys an jab it with cattle sticks

Plus can I have a LiquidNitrogen flamethrower type weapon? Thatd be really...cool...

[quote name='KillZone' date='Jun 27 2004, 09:54 AM']Plus can I have a LiquidNitrogen flamethrower type weapon? Thatd be really...cool...[/quote]
It has been talked about but it would be very hard to add in a turn based game. And it would suck because of low range and because fire in ufo games isn't that effective :huh:

[quote]because fire in ufo games isn't that effective[/quote]

:naughty: then perhaps the effectiveness of fire is something that needs to be changed? :naughty:

I like flamethrowers too. Plus I think that they are among the most logical and common weapons when dealing with alien organisms... just think about the first minutes of MIB: Nothing better than flamethrowers for cover-up missions :devillaugh:

but seriously: If I was the commander of an organization that is supposed to protect earth from alien beings, one of the things I would be concerned about is alien microorganisms and diseases. flamethrowers would be standard for all my troops. good in night combat, too. and I believe even spawns might not be tough enough to take the heat of napalm... they would just be cooked inside their chitinous armour plating and turn all red on the outside. think lobster :beer:

Guest KillZone
Its LiquidNitrogen not fire....an instant QuickFreeze for catching robots or things you dont want to touch...

Plus when it comes to firing, its like "Short Burst 20% TUs" and "Long Burst 40% TUs" plus it would in theory be 100% accurate...

Course now Ive had this idea Im filling in all the blanks...