XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Art- Issue #26 -standardissue Battledress Uniform

Shinzon

Greetings just joined yesterday...

ive been told to pos any progress on the t shirt armour... im not sure if this is the right place though...

This was under the T-shirt armour... looks like hes wearing a balistic helment and a kevlar vest... so im just adding some details... This render will be for the X-net and i belive the original itslef will be enough for battlescape... Edited by Vaaish

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Vaaish: anyone tryied to animate that model? something looks a little rare.

@Shinzon: When you have something skinned, I would put the "In progress" tag in the issue tracker. Post in here so I know.

Greetings
Red Knight

no but when I originally created it I added enough detail to the joints that there shouldn't be an issue.

What happened here is I think a combination of perspective and either making the model a subdivision surface or smoothing the mesh which caused the appendages to thin considerably.

EDIT: image of the original low poly version. Edited by Vaaish

yup i do belive this is the wrong topic... :Brickwall: can someone moove it to art please?

I've added a couple of things and made the eyes... should i add some more pokets on the vest? since everyone seemed to agree on the Sg1 look and feel... Or should i just start texturing this?

I'd go ahead and add the harness and pockets to the vest as well and then tweak it a bit to line up more with the low poly one in terms of limb size and facial structure, you might even want to work on adding more detail to the creases in the BDU pants and sleaves too.

Update

made pokets in pants

fixed up eyes... (stuff mostly that cant be seen and is it just me or does she look cross eyed?)

Made a proper mouth- no teeth yet...

Wrinkels where the pants meet the boot

Re-scaled arms so dont look flimsy and small

its just the line caused by the smoothing; its not welded together since im not yet sure if im not done... should i add pokets or something on the vest or something?

or should i just start texturing it? then ill weld the two halfs together

what you have now is definaely starting to take shape, good job.

Instead of adding pockets to the vest add a combat harness over the vest.

the other issues I have is the folds where the boots meet the pants and the legs themselves, if we can beef up the legs and arms some more it will help the overall look of the model.

Side note: are those pockets on the thighs finished yet... they don't really look like they are part of the pants or strapped on right now.

I would just like to interject my observation of a couple of anatomical flaws- this is not to say that the rest of your work on the model is not stellar.

The hands and hips look wrong. I think the wrists and legs are too thin and there doesn't seem to be any definition in the knee joints. Edited by fux0r666

Update

Added elbow and knee pads, touched up some pokets, edited some places

Hands still and always look awkward... i have no idea why... :Tantrum:

what do you mean by a combat harnes around the vest?

Can you post a top view of teh hands that can help us figuer out how to fix them up a bit better.

here are some examples of combat harnesses

[url="http://www.zahal.org/gear/p4.htm"]http://www.zahal.org/gear/p4.htm[/url] -good but w/o most of te pouces on the waist.

also look up some reference images of kneepads, the ones you have right now look like they are towels tied around the knee. and please remove those pockets on the upper leg, they don't fit the model or the uniform.

yeah thats more like it, make the straps thinner on that and the pads so it looks more like those flat nylon straps instead of planks.

thats the line between the two halfs... since im working only on 1 half to make it symetrical and lessen the work load.

here you go :

(I just took this, but the lighting conditions weren't ideal, so if you want it taken anew, or in another position, just say the magic word :) )

edit: downscaled the pic a little :blush1:
(gosh, I really should clip my nails :D ) Edited by j'ordos

ah thanks j'ordos :D now to make your hand look a bit more femenin :P

Update:

Made a completly new combat harness... the armor looks bulky now like armor!!

not sure if the "no pocket" thing is fine but i think it looks alright...

Ok i will re touch up the pads and make them look bit more "real"

Edit*

Ignore the bad walky talky on the shoulder... dont know why i left it in... :unsure: Edited by Shinzon

looking better. I'd advise agaisnt having the pockets on the harness open like they are now.

Do you still have that site I posted eariler with the reference for the combat harness. go back there and take a look at it as you model. the main issues I'm having wit the harness is the straps, they are way too bulky and if actually used would keep sliding off the soldeiers shoulder. thats why then need to be thin straps tightened in place.

You can rely on the texture for some of the details you're currently modeling too. As to the hands, I suggest a mitten style with indents between the fingers, since you'll either see the soldier with hands at the sides or holding a weapon. That might help resolve the realism issue and also reduce poly count for in game. Just a suggestion.

:sorry: with the christmas breake over and the exam week not far away ive been making progress slower then i want to... After the exams my productivity should increase greatly... :D
Update

-Thanks j'ordos for the hand it really helped, it looks a bit better now

-Finished the pokets and reduced the strap size (they still might be a bit too fat)

-Tryied editing the pad so it doesnt look like a towel (still looks kindof wierd)

-Oh and I removed the pockets...

-Im planning to do some ressearch and add wrinkels in the arms and more into the legs, if thats ok with everyone

Is this to everyones expectations? does anything need to be changed? if not ill weld the thing together and start to unrawp it for texturing.

by the way this is the female marine model :pink: Edited by Shinzon

looking better and better. I think that those straps are still a kittke too fat but they are alot closer now.

Also, look up some reference for those knee and arm pads, they still look a little too contrived and not built in.

Over all good progress.

yeah i know about the mirror line, dont worry too much about it, once im done ill seal it up and trust me you wont even know where the 2 halfs are...

Update:

-Completly Re-modeled the pads using the refrence found here:http://www.prolineskates.com/acatalog/harb321k.jpg

-Tweaked other things like the positioning of the pads ( they were too low)

The pokets and the buttons right now are diffrent objects from the main body, im thinking of attaching them to the body and welding them on, after im done this the amount they can be changed will drop, should i procced?

For the smaller details like zippers and such im planning to use bump mapping to create them...

[quote name='Shinzon' date='Jan 5 2005, 08:58 PM']yeah i know about the mirror line, dont worry too much about it, once im done ill seal it up and trust me you wont even know where the 2 halfs are...

Update:

-Completly Re-modeled the pads using the refrence found here:http://www.prolineskates.com/acatalog/harb321k.jpg

-Tweaked other things like the positioning of the pads ( they were too low)

The pokets and the buttons right now are diffrent objects from the main body, im thinking of attaching them to the body and welding them on, after im done this the amount they can be changed will drop, should i procced?

For the smaller details like zippers and such im planning to use bump mapping to create them...
[right][post="106171"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Looks much better on the pads, good job.
The more I think about it I don't think we should have the elbow pads, it makes it look too much like a skater and less like a soldier. I think it'll be best to pull the pads off the elbows and just put wrinkle details in the texture map.

I would keep all the objects separate until right before you start texturing.

right now I one of the next issues on the model I see are with how the pant legs attach to the boot, there usually isn't that much material to make that deep of folds.

and finally how the eyes look on the model, they appear a little unnatural in their shape and construction of the eyelid.

Overall great job detailing the model I think your coming into the home stretch. Edited by Vaaish

Maan Vaaish you are a hawk... i was going to fix the eyelids on the next update but you caught me red handed :P

and i couldnt stop laughing when you said she started to look like a skater... sorry Vaaish i couldnt stop myslef...

COMING TO STORES NEAR YOU!!!

XENOCIDE UNDERGROUND 2!!!!!!!!!!!! Edited by Shinzon

Update

-Removed the elbow pads
-reduced the wrinkles (right now im thinking of totaly removing them and replacing them with a bump map)

-fixed up eyes (the 2nd render shows how the eyes worked before) i dont know whats causing one eye to be darker then the other... possobly just the lighting since bith sides are identical

-touched up the face, like the nose and lips most obvious (dont worry too much about the dent in the middle of the nose, once the two sides are "glued" together it should dissapear

OMG oh my is that j'ordos's hand grasing in the first render? :P

looking alot better now, I think most of the remaining facial details can be added with the textures.

I guess my concern is that the pants are looking a little skin tight instead of baggy, kinda like riding pants. If we can keep the knee as it is (the elastic constricts around the joint makingthe material there more skin tight) and kinda make the rest of the leg baggy it should look better as joins the top of the boot.

Also the boot is looking alot thinner than it probably should be, I thin this is due to whatever method you've used to smooth the model (I'm leaning toward subdivison).

I'd rather have the models err on the side of too beefy than looking too fragile. (at least for our protagonists).

Keep it up you;re almost there and after you get this down it'll be alot easier to match it for the male model.

I did this a while ago. I didn't know whether or not to post it because after I came back from my hiatus, your model was already well under way. I am actually really proud of the sketch (with all of its anatomical anomalies). I spent a while researching clothing folds and such. I'm going to post the sketch as a link. Because I am so proud of it, I do not want the FSF to own the rights to it- but you can have use of it as source material for this model, if you want to use it.

[url="http://www3.telus.net/web_project/Pics/xenocide/xcomsoldier.jpg"]Old X-Corps squaddy concept.[/url]

If there is concern about the rights issue, mods, please delete the hyperlink. I am open to any conversation regarding the issue of rights.

I like the scetch very much personally. I'd at very least use it as a reference when adding detail (such as the bagginess (sp?) as pointed out by Vaaish) to the legs and arms.

Keep up the good work on the model Shinzon. =b Modeling high-poly detail isn't exactly easy when you start from a low-poly mesh. Edited by fidel_

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jan 7 2005, 06:22 PM']I did this a while ago.  I didn't know whether or not to post it because after I came back from my hiatus, your model was already well under way.  I am actually really proud of the sketch (with all of its anatomical anomalies).  I spent a while researching clothing folds and such.  I'm going to post the sketch as a link.  Because I am so proud of it, I do not want the FSF to own the rights to it- but you can have use of it as source material for this model, if you want to use it.

[url="http://www3.telus.net/web_project/Pics/xenocide/xcomsoldier.jpg"]Old X-Corps squaddy concept.[/url]

If there is concern about the rights issue, mods, please delete the hyperlink.  I am open to any conversation regarding the issue of rights.
[right][post="106326"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

it's actually pretty close to what I envisioned, the only difference is the helmet and some smaller detailing. Very good sketch for reference though on how the pads, uniform and harness.

Update:

-Made kneepads a bit tighter

-Removed Most of the folds in the leg (same effect could be reached with a bump map)

-fixed up lips, (no longer looks like Angeline Joline after 20 plastic surgerys

-Fixed up some parts (mostly in the vest) that took up too many polys and did nothing

-Beefed up boots and added a sole...

Great refrence, thankyou alot it gave a clearer idea for what i was sopposed to do... =b

there still seems to be some serious oddities with the legs and feet. if you have to set that image fux posted as a background and match up the legs with that. I realize it isn't a perfect front on but it shold still help get everything looking right.

Vaaish: Yes, admittedly I didn't spend much time on the helmet and I didn't use any reference.. and I guess the result is a mushroom-head. If I get around to painting it mebe I'll rethink that helmet. It does look terrible.

Shinzon: good work so far! Your model and skills are coming along nicely. Your tenacity and openness to suggestions are greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
Changed the armour around a bit lower the knee pads and tweeked the arms using the refrence...

Yiekes you sure you want to test it in game?... It has a wooping lot of polys...
and each poket fold and button right now are diffrent objects... (the folds were just a box folded to look like poket, the buttons are just cylinders)

*Edited*

2 Iterations: (Double Smoothing) 38k polys... OMG

1 Iteration: 13k polys... OMG

No Smoothing:6k polys...

here i will render up the non smoothed version...

i should really start optimizing this thing cause this is just nuts...
I think it might look good ingame (non smoothed) if proporly optimzed... having a squad of 12 of those.... :Cry:

Oh and by the way what format do you want it to be? *.3ds *.obj ? Edited by Shinzon

you know the unsmoothed model looks alot more substantial than the smoothed one. Has more bulk whereas the smoothed version looks too delicate.

[quote name='GreatGold' date='Jan 19 2005, 04:57 AM']Howdy -

Random question relevant to this thread.  Is the Battlescape already coded enough that models can be imported for testing?  Or is that just for future stuff?

Thanks,
Gold
[right][post="107947"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Battlescape is not coded yet. But to test models in-game you can always just assign a battlescape model to an XNet-entry and have it shown in the XNet.

LOL somehow I posted something from the ctd here.

anyways, I was goign to say that you can kind of control the smoothing with shading groups.. althought that might look odd on the pants. Would be good for the kneepads, tho. Edited by fux0r666

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Jan 19 2005, 04:50 AM']you know the unsmoothed model looks alot more substantial than the smoothed one. Has more bulk whereas the smoothed version looks too delicate.
[right][post="107944"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Gotta agree with Vaaish here, the unsmoothed one looks really more down-to-earth and business-like, the smoothed one looks to fashionable :D
I little more rounding on the arms and legs maybe, but in this case it seems the old paradigm 'less=more' came true :)

Alright since it seems I couldnt attach it on the BUG Tracker ill just do it here...

its a 3ds format and only half since the ohter half is mirrored

ill play around with the smoothing and see what i can come up with... but it seems that everyone is happy with the actual model now... Edited by Shinzon

Ok played around with smoothing groups and such and i kinda did the first step in texturing it...

each color is a diffrent texture... they combine together to form an object this prevents from having one HUGE texture file (I did it before, when you have one it will lag ALOT and will have a much lower quality then sevral combining) So each diffrent colored section is another texture...

I played around with smoothing groups and such and the non smoothed version look a little better now but still looks like a bit wierd... (especialy the face)

The smoothed version no longer shrinks it so much so they are about the same...
both renders are from teh exact same angle

*Edit*

Realized a small error under the chin (its blue) its supposed to be skin color... corecting it now

And if everyone is pleased ill start welding it together Edited by Shinzon