XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Grey

We once caught a fish, and it was this big...

Just shrunk the arms and legs on the left side, the pelvis a little too. The center one also got a bigger head.

1.jpg

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here's are bigger-headed friend wearing a generic police outfit, I think something like this which is more "spacefaring" would be good.

2.jpg

"This is the Cydonia Police Department! You humans are under arrest for attempted murder of the brain!"

"Oh yeah? Lets go kill that brain boys!"

LOL. Seriously though, I think we should go with reflective spandex, with an iridium sheen!

And the middle one with the big head looks best (imo.)

I like the middle one of the three best.

Nice modelling BTW, good detail and form on those legs especially.

The shoulders could be a bit bigger I think

The trunk might be a little long for the legs perhaps? or is that just me?

It's certainly disturbing, so maybe that's OK anyhow.

yes the middle one is the best

the body should be a little thicker

nice job Breunor!

I think the middle one is a good start.

Bru: easyiest way to be sure is to download the zip I attached in the Art meeting, it should still be up there.

I'm thinking the middle one is best as well. I was going to rework the chest and abdomen, to make a more distinct difference there.

Yeah, the middle one definately

Don't forget that the original sectoid had a swollen belly, looked like one of those kids in africa suffering from lack of nutritions. Definately make the belly bigger

I was going to go the opposite direction, and make the belly thinner than the chest (by leaving the stomach as-is and increasing the chest diameter). I'm not trying to replicate the original sectoid model, which as I've stated looked pretty stupid IMO. This is all based off of fux0r's concepts which everybody liked and has been agreed on. The only reason we discussed the limb length is because it wasn't part of the final concept we locked down.

1) Good job, Breu;

2) Middle one all the way;

3) I like the flight suit idea (be it police or iridium sheen jumpsuit or whatever... perhaps even light body armour)

4) It would be nice to see it with its arms down, to get angle on the whole shoulders thing.

5) Again, well done Mr. B.

Yes, the elbows and shoulders will need a few more faces, and the shoulders will get some curve/bulk when I scale the chest. The knees are in good shape, extra faces up front to minimize the texture stretching there. The elbows and shoulders are in the same boat, they need enough that bending the limb doesn't pinch the limb flat. I'll be fixing that and working on a skeleton for the guy, and can try my hand at animation as well.

• 2 months later...
Thanks Kamikazee, I've put it up in the server. For future reference, search for ws_ftp, it is free and works well. For those who'd like to see it in action, browse to http://www.projectxenocide.com/artassets/viewer/xnet.htm using Internet Explorer. Instructions there will get you viewing our models without the use of a 3D app, just an activeX plugin.

Kamikazee has taken over the animation of the Grey, and has already made a walk animation for it. Yay! You can check it out on the web viewer at http://www.projectxenocide.com/artassets/viewer/xnet.htm

I've been thinking about this model a bit... Will it be able to carry all the alien weapons (especially the heavy plasma gun?) It kind of looks like the grey is too small to carry such a gun and look believable.

Consider that such a gun really should weight under 10 pounds using alien alloys to make it, and that you'll never see a Grey fire it with just 1 hand, I think it's very easy to believe. Also consider certain animals like Chimpanzees are 8 times stronger than humans pound for pound, and a Grey could also have such concealed strength.

Looking at the concepts and comparing it to the Grey portrait in the artwork display, the model just doesn't seem quite as evil looking. Is this going to be fixed up later? I'm guessing that it might since these are still only concepts.

Looking at the concepts and comparing it to the Grey portrait in the artwork display, the model just doesn't seem quite as evil looking. Is this going to be fixed up later? I'm guessing that it might since these are still only concepts.

Well it doesn't have any texture yet and that makes 80% of the looks so hang on ^_^

it should have eyes like in the signitures! Reeeealllly mean loooking, and a >:-( face.

Well it doesn't have any texture yet and that makes 80% of the looks so hang on ^_^

Well, technically the 'Grey' doesn't need to be textured! :P Look at its color. :-)

Also, I agree with Mikker, the big, diabolical eyes as seen in the official xenocide signature banner (see the bottom of this post for a pic if you've forgotten what it looks like. ;)) would help make the grey look more malevolent instead of like an angry little child.

My only real problem with the model at this point is the eyes. They don't make the grey look evil/sadistic enough.

Hmm, I think a re-read of this thread from the beginning is in order, we've had these discussions before. The concept picture in the completed designs thread is what I was aiming for, the mouth and other small details will be textured and bump mapped on, it will get a more menacing look when that is finished. Please check earlier posts regarding the eye shape and size to understand why we've picked what we have.

Quick question, I know that the sectoid is supposed to be very small. But have you seen it in comparison to the weapons? are those plasmas at the right scale? if so my task just got a little harder.

The grey should be scaled properly to everything else, I think the rifle is like 40 inches long? I don't remember right now. I think the rifle would be held at the hip for the grey, the way a heavy cannon/autocannon would for humans. This would require a slight torso twist towards the weapon, allowing the rear hand to grasp it more easily. That's just an idea for dealing with it.

yeah i ahndled the rifle. but the heavy plasma. Wow it is bigger than the sectoid.

heck need to carry a tripod with him. :)

yeah ive made seperate animations for pistol, rifle and am gonna sort out heavy plasma. Then i can hopefully then finish tweaking them and that. I might actually need to redo elbows cos they go square at acute angles.

Oh before i forget, for the heavy should i join both hands into the handles or just make it seem that way? cos i will have to edit the arms it that case.

I think as long as it looks like the hands go into the handles it's no biggie. The heavy is pretty big, are we sure the sectoid firde the heavy? i don't know but probably did, it'll look funny!

In Xcom one, the Sectoid fired all weapons, even ones that looked too big for it (such as the heavy plasma and blaster launcher.)

Perhaps we could make a carrying strap and include it on the Grey when he's carrying a heavy plasma? Sort of like the shoulder straps that machine guns use today.

In Xcom one, the Sectoid fired all weapons, even ones that looked too big for it (such as the heavy plasma and blaster launcher.)

Perhaps we could make a carrying strap and include it on the Grey when he's carrying a heavy plasma? Sort of like the shoulder straps that machine guns use today.

IMO, they should only be able to weld plasma pistols, stun launchers and plasma riffles.

but in the origional they had heavys

im worried theyll look cute. Aren't they supposed to be sadists not funny little hobbits?

i suggest making the sectoid slightly taller.

Ill upload the models 2morrow cos i have some connection problems right now and plus i cannot be bothered.

Well as I've not done anything in a while ;) and I had some (spare) time I've started with skinning up the grey.

Now what I'd like to know from you fine people is are we doing the clothed or unclothed route. It makes a heck of a difference to the amount of time I put into the skinning. Unclothed and the grey is about 40% done, clothed about 5%. Also are we going for ranks or not? As that means more skins too. Again I've got no problems with doing the skinning but I need to know before the work gets going.

I don't mind either way but its your opinion that counts here so voice up :)

To the pics. The left hand pic is a straight render, no special lighting or anything and would be close to what he'd look like in game. Just for fun in the right pic I ran him through one of my hdri scenes to see what he'd look like.

Breu, if you could fire over that police suited version of the grey it'd help, saves re editing all the verts by hand and we all know what a pita that is. Then I'm sure I can work something up from that.

post-29-1084860137_thumb.jpg

oh... that is SO COOL

EDIT: I think the greys should be unclothed BTW I'm not sure wha the consensus was though.

Edited by MagicAndy

I'm partial to clothed Greys, there are plenty of common mythologies where they are wearing dark jumpsuits or little silver outfits. But if we're going with the cloned route, then perhaps a genderless creature with no... exits for bodily evacuations... doesn't really need clothing. If we went with jumpsuits, ranks could be noted with a small shoulder patch change, everything else could remain unchanged.

As to the "textured" shot I did Deimos, all I did was find a front profile of a jumpsuit on Google, and slapped the model over it. The front looks just like the back, and the verts are all over the place to make it look like he's clothed. I only did it to show the option of clothes, it's really useless for real modelling. Sorry.

I'm partial to the clothed version as well. It would fit in well with UFO lore. Perhaps we could make the more 'thinking' races, such as the greys and especially the cloaks wear clothes, while the primitive races like the morlock could be wearing less clothing.

Eh, its just a brain fart.

I that clothing would be preferable... but only if it's quite unlike terrestrial clothing. I was trying to circumvent that problem by making a suit of armour that looks like what people expect greys to look like in most respects. I would like to try and shy away from cloth or spandex body suits and the like, if possible.

hi sorry i never posted the new animation. Kindalost it (cant find it) so i have to transfer it from my laptop to my main pc. unfortunately the laptop isnt here at the mo'.

Second i get it back ill try to upload it.

wow.. yet again ive managed not to upload something when i said i would. well it is done. just gotta upload it...

so consider this finished for now.. ill upload it soon hopefully.

• 3 months later...