XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Guards For Downed Alien Ships

Hey All -

Just a quick question that I never really found a reasonable answer for:

After you've cleared a downed aliencraft of aliens, who secures it until its retrieval? It seems to me that it would fall upon X-COM opertives to do this...so I guess I'm asking if it would be more realistic to maintain a small force of "MP's" who would need to be paid for and maintained. Likewise, the retrieval crews shouldn't be free (perhaps their transport to and from base could be included in their "cost", or the player could just maintain some convential transports for that travel at a trivial costs - helicopters perhaps). I think this would all be after v1.0, but just something to think about.

I know it adds a new element, perhaps to much of one, but if I was an alien commander, and I lost a Battleship, I sure as heck would send another ship to secure the sight and retrieve any survivors. Could add some interesting "after-battle battles" and such... I'm just rambling now, but imagine a Harvester is secured and the assault team heads home while the MPs secure the area. Ten minutes after the assault team leaves the MPs radio in that a scout has landed and is attempting a rescue/scavenge operation. Zoom to Battlescape - MP's fight ten minute delaying action while assault squad returns (ETA ticking in corner of screen). Yeah yeah, its out there, but it could be just one more thing to get people thinking :D . And if no aliens counterattack, same situation as X-COM and the site is retrieved.

Another quick thought...suppose a Skyranger gets shot down. Should there be some chance for survivors, especially if they were well armored? Or at least for the equipment that was aboard? Then you send a ship to retrieve that and save what can be saved.

Just thoughts,

Gold

Good thoughts, seems resonable that aliens would want retrive their downed crafts. Rescuing downed X-COM craft... that's a whole new mission type. I like it! Could get really exciting, searching for the downed craft (mind you, you would have pretty exact co-ordinates). Then you could bring medipacks, healing the wounded and salvaging whatever equipment that still works.

Guest stewart

The game itself makes reference to "Xcom Agents" when the game takes pity on you and lights-up an alien base that you've been too stupid to find.

My guess is that after the shootin is done, the balck suits and raybands show-up, catalogue everything, box it up, and clear the area. This would explain why you can sell everything before your skyranger is back home. The stuff is catalogued and sold. Your buyers are like buyer on eBay, they just have to hope you don't shaft them.

Guest drewid

What we could do is mention the MIB "sister organisation" though x-net text and in reports. They would be funded by "other agencies", so x-com wouldn't give them orders or fund them, just get info from them.

So we get the benefits of being able to explain stuff like this, but not have to overcode v1, cos it's all iin the imagination.

Soilent Green... it's made from SECTOIDS! SECTOIDS, I tell you!!! AGHHH!!! :crying:

Guest blaa
No it's made from Mutons. Soylent Gray is made from Sectoids. Soylent Pink from Floaters. Soylent Orange from Snakemen, and so on . . . .

awwww Judge, you ruined the fun!

hmm....i think that the soldiers will stay and safegard the UFO, until the recovery team arrives. It would be nice though, if da big bad ethernal came to recover the craft, in a new sort of ship, perhaps: troop transporter. those could also be used in base attacks, before you get attacked by battleships.

they would be medium, and have 5 less aliens then a battleship at a base attack. For recovery, 7 aliens, + 50% of the ammount of the recovered UFO?

Could also go on supply runs for alien bases.

When the recovery team are on their way, should it go back to geoscape, or should it stay and skip the time, making you stay in battlrscape?

Should the recovery team land after an ammount of time, or after the assault is killed/fled (why not)?

must you buy the recovery ships? i think that is a baad idea, but say, in the original x-com, you just get those battleships. i doubt it can fit in the skyranger :). Thats like placeing an oiltanker inside a 747.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe that this is a very creative idea...I Do believe it's a good idea to have to fund the clean-up crew but I don't think it's a good idea to have to go into so much detail as to hire your own crew to do it and go back into battle if the aliens come lookin for there buddies...let's just say we clean up our messes very quickly...I mean how far from the truth can that be??? -_-

I think the soldiers just clean up themselves, and the reason they have it back at base before you get there is because of UPS. :o Yeah i think the clean up crew idea could get very complicated, plus i like to end a mission and just go home not play another one :D

Yeah, there can be so many battles when things get busy, that it takes forever to get through a month. To have that many more battles would make it even worse.