XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Best Race

Extralucas

What race is best in combat?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which race is the best? How do you think? Will it be android with unraisable stats but good physicall atributes (stamina, speed, strength, health, bravery) and it's immunity to Psi-Attacks? Will it be Mutant who can be trained up to 99 Psi Defense so it becomes as immune to Psi as Android does? Still the Mutant is weak with his Physical stuff (Strength, speed, health, stamina). Or will it be the human who's only disadvantage is weak Psi stuff, and everything else can be trained to great levels?

My choice is Mutant. I choose it because it can be trained to very great level of Psi skills which gives it another powerfull weapon, and it can be efficently trained in other skills (still, they're lower than the human's ones but they're good anyway). They bad thing about 'em is this that it takes heck a lot of time to create powerfull hybrid.

Great poll Extralucas!

I voted for Human all the way!

Androids: They are only suited to bring me coffee or clean my base after fire accidents, they are no use for me with one exception. To secure a base where I have only research labs and workshops. Just in case the base gets raided. My Androids RobbieWilliams1-6 are there. Humans would need training, Androids don't. :D

Mutants: In a great moment of clarity (scary enough it happened in the bathroom) :wacko: ^_^ it came to me, a great truth: Aliens can't PSI attack if they BURN! :flame: :psychosanta: So, PSI is no threat at all and I don't want to use it - I have to admit, I never tried it. How great is the possibility of successfully MindControl an alien with a good PSI guy?

Humans: Best abilities except PSI. Nothing more to say... If you have 2 groups of 6 good Humans, they can unleash heck to aliens. :devillaugh:

[quote name='Mark0' date='Sep 12 2003, 10:15 AM']i go wit hHumansi bileive you can train them however you want with psi skills or bravery ... anything.
it needs some work but after tis done you have a killin machine :spank:[/quote]
I don't agree with that. I had my Stn squad with their messy Psi so I decided to train 'em. I took 2 months of hard training in Psi Training and their stats imporved only at about 10-15 skill points.

I train 'em in Psi to have 'em at 100% of their abilities. If I can have squad with high Physics or squad with high Physics and Psyhics I will choose the second this time. (2nd game)

[quote name='BurnThemALL' date='Sep 12 2003, 11:19 PM']:D First thing I do when I start a new game is to get rid of the PSI-Lab training facility. I don't need it... :psychosanta:[/quote]
same here - WTF is this stupid thing for - RAZE IT!

• 5 months later...
I've heard distrurbing tales of androids actually getting brainsucked. But I suspect this is because the android just so happened to walk into the tile the brainsucker was landing on. Hey, it can happen. However, the brainsuckers, the micronoids and the psimorphs do not actively make any attemps on attacking androids on most occasions.

The way I see the races fare are like so:

Humans:
Average starting stats.
Very low psi, so they'll never have full psi potential.
Good all the way through.

Hybrids:
Poor starting stats.
Very high psi stats. Meaning they'll have the best psi stats in the game. (i.e. all psionic stats can reach 3x their starting stat)
Poor to start off with, but have the potential to be even greater than the humans because they can also max their stats like the humans in addition to their higher psionics. Therefore, hybrids are best in the long run, but not that good combat-wise to start off with.

Androids:
Psionic aliens and brainsuckers do not actively attack androids. This is the android's main gimmick, which you can put to great use.
Good starting stats, but they stay that way for good. It's not too bad, as the stats that come with most android builds can last them through the game. You don't need to have everyone maxed as long as you have good strategy.
Also, because of their fixed stats, they're kind of expendable, so you're free to try strategies you normally wouldn't even think of with the humans/hybrids. Such as charging a horde of androids into a firefight with power swords. They're amazing!
To start with, they are excellent troops. Though they get pushed aside by the humans/hybrids later, their unique advantages keep them handy.

- NKF

Well... The best is to combine them.
But the best is human. :LOL:
Why? you ask.

At the begining the androids are the best cose their attributes are higher than humans and mutans, and they can't be brainsucked by brainsuckers. But, in time, in long terms after about 15 missions human become better than the rest. And after 25 missions human become
[b][i]THE ONE[/i][/b]. :ninja:

and that is the end of that story. :zzzzz: Edited by Narednik Igor

Are you sure brainsuckers don't actively target androids? I distinctly remember having an all android squd (squad four I believe) and no one else was around (all the humans and hybrids were ordered to retreat due to lack of health) and the suckers seemed to seek out the androids.

Well, test. That's the only way to find out. Brand new games are good, since all the aliens have as weapons on the first mission are brainsuckers.

Of all the games I've played, the brainsuckers would just run up to my androids and stare at them stupidly, or they just run about like headless chickens (ala the civilians). For mixed groups, they'd seek and attack the humans or hybrids and ignore the androids.

Nice thing about brainsuckers is that they get utterly confused if you're lying prone and end up paralysing themselves in mid-leap. ;)

- NKF Edited by NKF

My contrived explanation for that is that they were never 'programmed' to handle such a situation, thus they get so confused that they faint.

[i]'Whee, I'm jumping. I'm going up, and up, and up, and now I've reached the apex of my jump, and now I'm going down, and down, and down, now I latch onto the head of my enemy and inj... hey, where's the head? My enemy is here, but where's the head? The head should always be there! But... this creature does not have a head? Preposterous! They never told me how to handle this kind of situation! I, wh, but there has to be a head! For if there is no head, therefore it not am! I... I'm so confused! What do I do? What do I do? What do I-'[/i] and while the brainsucker is pondering these thoughts, it forgets to pad its fall with its legs and ends up knocking its head(well, the whole body is a head, actually) on the ground, causing itself to sustain a mild but non-fatal concussion, effectively stunning it.

Also, ever notice how if a unit falls on top of another unit, one or both of them will sustain huge amounts of stun damage? Odd. Try removing your marsec plate in mid air while flying over someone or something else. I'm not sure who gets stunned, but it would be rather amusing if you could knock out a megaspawn by knocking one of your soldiers out, eh? I guess the game just cannot handle having two conscious units occupying the same tile. So it works around this by stunning one of the units. I'm guessing it stuns the weaker (or smaller) of the two, as it is always the case with the brainsuckers. Actually, the game does keep units stunned as long as a unit is standing on top of an unconcious unit. Maybe the game keeps the unit stunned by making sure that the stun level is always a bit above the unit's health level as long as another unit is standing on it. So, when a unit without stun damage just happens to occupy the same tile as another unit, the unfortunate unit (I don't know which one it is) automatically gets its stun damage increased to a point just above its health level? It would explain why the units get stunned instantly when they occupy the same tile as another (and it would explain a lot about the brainsuckers and prone units).

- NKF Edited by NKF

• 3 months later...
androids are ultra resistant to fire, they are virtually unaffected by encuberance(sp), and they are expendable. Also, they are good if your best humans/hybrids et brainsucked or something (i usually play turn-based) because they give you good troops w/o having 2 spend time training them. useful 4 spur-of-the-moment attacks, etc. You may notice that later in the game, if your best guys get killed by some cruel force of nature, the instantly hireable human and/or hybrid rookies get thrashed, while the androids stand some chance (provided they have good enuf equip.) All said, its a matter of preference.

Humans are the best, i don't use psi in apoc so I don't need mutants and humans get pretty damn good as the game goes on. Androids are good scouts and great soldiers in beginning but humans are the ones who actually are über in the end.

I use the different guys for different things.

At the beginning of the game, Androids rule. I give them all the dangerous HiEx equipment since they are strong, they won't go under alien control, and can take a grenade if something goes wrong. As my humans become stronger, these guys turn into sacrificial scouts, Psi killers, and demolition men.

I try to keep humans in the middle, and have them go full auto on everything. Sure, it's a waste of ammo, but I'll gain so much accuracy that its well worth it. These guys become the bread and butter of my squads, all through the main part of the game.

I try to train all my mutants from the beginning, but I barely use them until the late game. They just take months and months of training before I'm comfortable with them on the field. When they are trained, I send them out, and have fun with their PSI powers. ^_^ These guys eventually become my elite squad, and I use them with great success on stun raids and alien buildings. Edited by Robo Dojo 58

Somebody uses mutants?! :o
I never found any use to those psipowers, they can't take control over any alien or hostile humans :crying:

Hybrids kick arse. Their only drawback is, as said, very long training period. In the endgame all my squads (3 troopers) have a psi-expert. This combination has proved to be most efficient with my style, and is sure fun to make alien drop 4 vortex mines right in the middle of enemy squad... Or draw enemy fire when my own troopers shoot. Generally they help in having those few first seconds needed to win engagement.

My hybrids never reach the physical stats that humans do, and rarely win battles on themselves but they are most effective as support unit.

Hybrids have the same max levels as humans on top of their high psi stats. Powergamers will obviously want to invest a lot in them.

The trick is to share their training between combat training and psi training. The reason for this is that combat training is the only way to raise the strength stat, which is also not one of the hybrid's best stats. I'd go with 50% of your hybrids in combat training and the rest in psi training. Then swap later when each set is formidable in their selected disciplines. A hybrid who can temporarily disarm or detonate grenades on an anthropod or skeletoid in a split second and weild some heavy artillary just as well as a human recruit can be a very formidable foe indeed.

- NKF Edited by NKF

• 1 month later...
I have seen my androids with a percentage improvement up to 10% before though. Also, i once got attacked by a brainsucker, and i went into prone, and the brainsucker stopped moving, my guys stood up, and it got him while he was begining to stand up. it seems that the fainting thing doesn't work for my guys. Either that, or the brainsuckers get really smart on my version

I finally got hooked on RT, so now, I say humans. (I like androids in TB cuz of the Brainsuckers.) However, I still don't see why nobody seems to like hybrids too much. In my current game, my second best guy is a hybrid. He has great speed, backed up by a fair amount of strength, and he is invincible against Anthros, but his real power, surprisingly, lies in his accuracy and reactions. At the beginning, give all your good hybrids twin lawpistols and place them in sniping positions on snap-shot. A few missions later, their accuracy zooms up. Step 1 of hybrid-training complete. Step 2: put your hybrids on the second line and have them shoot hyperworms and brainsuckers on auto-shot. Accuracy improves some, but reactions kill. Step 3: turn them into demolition men! Have them lug around 3 High Explosives, 4 standard grenades, a mind-bender, and medi-kit, and a power sword each (use full marsec armor so they can move). Pesky door in your way? Blow it up. Pesky wall in your way? Blow it up. Pesky floor in your way? Blow it up. Pesky civilian in your way? :devillaugh: :devillaugh:

• 4 weeks later...
Androids are excellent cannon fodder right at the start, and lo and behold, THEY DO IMPROVE. I've had one Android with around 6% improvement. I think, whilst Androids can't be trained, they CAN learn, albeit very slowly. Or perhaps, as time goes on, your techs give them upgrades. That would be an awesome thing to do, in your Engineering Labs; "Upgrade on " Not much of an improvement per upgrade, but after a few days (it'd take a few hours for each upgrade) you'd notice the difference.

Hmm... BTW, Civvies can be androids. I MC'ed a civvie because I suspected some aliens were in the area. This one turned out to be one oO... I guess having 255-255-255 PSI stats is pretty powerful. Average (unenhanced) Android PSI Def is 100. You can hover the pointer over a bar to see it's actual number.

• 3 weeks later...
amazed people still play this game.

Does really matter what you have as long as they have high speed stats. If you tend to save/load a lot, then you can improve human/mutants with those stun only raids on non hostile buildings. Nonhosties dont shoot at you unless you kill them first, stunnings dont count as kills, but they improve combat stats of your troops and give you loot.

• 7 months later...
In addendum to my post up there, Androids are even more pwn with Midnight, as Humans & Hybrids will slowly lose their stats in combat if above a certain level. Because of the Androids' inability to (rapidly) gain or lose stats, they don't need stat reboosting nearly as frequently. ;)

• 4 months later...
I would say androids are the best overall, they are easily the best in the early game as they have decent stats as well as enough health to take a number of hits.

However the only weapons which work effectivly on any opponents are explosives, and as the android has enought strength to carry enough explosives to level a building they work amazinlgy well, not to mention practically immune to being under alien mindcontrol and never paniking in a situation.

Androids can work well in most situations, they can kill lots of aliens in one hit by using a good ol Heavy Launcher, or they can go on a powersword stabbing spree as they are amazingly fast. Also when they wield dual-auto/devestator cannons they just spew out death everywhere.

Who needs accuracy when you have big explosions, and if there are civillians who you need to save, whip out the powersword and stab those nasty aliens.

Although thier stats dont raise, and humans can improve on all an androids stats (except stregnth and health) they work well and are less suceptible to death.

• 3 months later...
If you can handle brainsuckers and psionics, there is no reason not to use humans. Offensive psi on the part of X-Com is just a waste. In order to get full TUs out of an enemy you have to put one agent's full efforts on an alien for two rounds. In a game where on agent could just as easily kill several aliens in one round, it's really not worth it, IMO. I usually have human agents that are better all around statwise than androids by the end of the second week. Androids are great for base defense. Hybrids are just too weak to be interesting. If they didn't require direct line of sight like in past X-Com games, I would love them, but what's the point when you could just as easily shoot an alien and all its friends in less time.

Well, sometimes it's easier to disarm an alien of its shield with psi before you start opening fire on it with a weapon. This should be true for turn based just as well in pausable real time. Psi works best in short quick bursts involving messing with the alien's inventory items for a split second or two before breaking psionic lock, unlike the first two games where you gained full control of them for the turn.

However, assuming you're using toxiguns, there's no need to disarm an alien of its shields. This therefore leaves it more useful against human guards, or for disarming the alien of its shield (dropping/throwing it) setting all the grenades on an alien and dropping them all at once (or dropping them in a pile and dropping a blast on impact grenade to detonate it).

I suppose the TU cost factor in turn based makes psi better in pausable real time. In pausable real-time, you use psi energy as your psionic TUs. Once that is exhausted, you can continue to use the hybrid agent just like a human while waiting for it to recharge.

Despite starting with lower stats, hybrids also max out their stats the same way as humans. This means you have to spend just a bit more time on their training before they can be a match for a human rookie. Starting them off in the combat gym as opposed to the psi lab helps in this regards, as it's the only way to raise their strength.

- NKF

Yes, i've found the best thing to do with mind control is to drop all the aliens inventory except for one vortex mine or boomeroid, and then prime that and throw it on the ground. The ensuring explosion usually kills the alien, although i don't know about the equipment. But that does kill any nearby aliens

• 2 months later...
I would say Human, if homing weapons (Heavy/Mini/Dimension/Enthropy Launchers) and enemies heavily using explosives weren't such an annoying thing.
I use Psi mainly to strip enemies if I see them carrying "dangerous" weapons. That's why I prefer to use Mutants. Their only real disadvantage is slower speed with lower stamnia. Accuracy is easily pumped in combat, so it doesn't give me any troubles.

• 1 month later...
Hi. Fun post. :)

I guess I'd have to say Humans are the best across the board. I know Mutants (weren't they called Hybrids?) can excell at both physical and psionic combat, but it takes them a while to get superb at both. Androids are always great at the beginning of the game, and they do improve slightly!, but they seem a bit weak in comparison to Humans/Mutants by the time you're nearing the end.

• 4 weeks later...

I never use Androids. I name all agents after my friends and family, and none of THEM are androids. ;-)

But I believe humans ultimately are better than androids, when they get to "super-trooper" levels late in the game. If you have a smallish force, and have lots of ground missions, they can rack up HUGE improvements and become really phenomenal, and I don't use editors, either. Without editors, I have snipers with accuracy of 99, and regularly troops with bravery of 100.

Of course, I get a healthy number of hybrids, too. After all, they're the ones I finish out the game with, once we're facing psimorphs and micronoids. Nothing worse than having a super-trooper human get mind-controlled and go wild on your own agents. That superstar for your team becomes a worse nightmare than any alien. By the time we smash the alien dimension, it's pretty-well hybrids all the way. Some hybrids can really become super-super-troopers, if you take enough time, and send them on enough ground missions. There's nothing wrong with forming a squad of hybrids with some solid human sergeants and captains and sending them out to practise on the Cult and the syndicates. Hybrids with a good 100 kills, and lots of missions and service under their belts, not to mention combat training, can be as tough as human superstars.

Is there a limit, though, to how high your stats will rise without editors? I tend to take my time getting to the alien dimension: I like to have a massive fleet for the first great fleet assault on the alien dimension. I like to punch through the gates with 16 or 20 ships to just SWEEP aside the alien standing fleet. So my agents have ample time to rack up stats. But I should run an uber-long game, and see how "super" they can get.

Then, when X3's true successor comes along, we should be able to import non-edited super-troopers into the game. ;-)

And continue to SMASH.

well, i always bring my super hybrid along, and i discovered that MC is no longer a problem one mission when my trooper with the dimension missile got MCed, and i simply mind controlled him back. Since my guy can also outlast any micronoid or pismorph it makes me nearly immune to them

Personally I prefer hybrids, because I like the option of psi along with my trusted toxigun. Since you start with 10 humans and no hybrid and 1 combat and 1 psi training facility I keep my 10 humans and slowly buy my 10 hybrids that ride along them on missions. When they reach high stats I switch training facilities for each group of 10.

Hybrids are the best munchkin race if you want to go for highest max overall stats. Humans follow suit - but are more popular because they can max their physical stats a lot faster.

Just to stick up for the androids - well, in a way - they are your meat shields. Well, meat shields sans the meat.

In the end they do fall behind stat-wise, but stick them in front of your humans and hybrids in a firefight so that the aliens track them instead. This keeps your humans and hybrids happy, healthy and wise - i.e they stay healthy, and as long as health is at 100%, they get to use the training labs at the end of the day.

Androids can also be used to perform crazy things that you would normally never - ever - think of attempting with a human/hybrid, even with maxed stats. Like running right into the middle of the aliens and making a big mess with stun/smoke/incendiary grenades or rip them to shreds with power swords. Often I find that the androids may very well surprise you at how effective they can be when used in this fashion.

Or worse still - android mules. Have them carry the spare shields and vortex mines - plus any additional ones that you can find. The fact that they don't attract brainsuckers means that your stash of mines or shields will be safe from sudden take-over.

Similarly - make androids your rocket soldier. Like many others, I would very much prefer that the agent toting the dimension missile launcher not get mind controlled or brainsucked. Plus, accuracy plays no role in missile target tracking, so they work together very well.

When you are micronoid hunting, no unit is better at this task than an android with a stun grapple and some light weapon. It just points and laughs at the wobbly green goop. Okay, so this is a one-off thing.

I really wouldn't mind the fact that androids waste the experience they would've earned from their bullet hits. There are plenty of enemies around - even more so on the harder levels. Once you attain air superiority in the alien dimension, you can max out your soldiers from scratch in the training labs alone. I mean, hands up anyone who has had maxed soldiers with 0 missions under their belt?

A good mix of soldiers is the way to go - at least by my reckoning.

- NKF

In the end though isn't the caring about the wounding of non-android agents only a psychological barrier?

You can do all that with (super)human agents if you just get over it. So what if they miss a few days in the gym? If they were androids they would miss ALL days in the gym, wounds or no wounds. So in the end androids have only 1 thing going for them. 100 psi defence. And that's it. OK maybe they have 1 more, starting with pretty good combat stats. That's why I use them as guard troops for my bases. They aren't going to be used in any assault (other than the rare base attack) so no XP is wasted and I don't build training facilities in my other bases so other agents would be a waste.

If you play the way I do, I often have soldiers perpetually in some state of ill health, so almost never get any gym time. So hiring a few android temps that are good right out of the box really helps the others get in some recovery time. ;)

But fair enough. Although, you can also look at it this way: Which would you rather lose? The super soldier you've spent a lot of time to train up, or the android that never had anything to lose? I like my super soldiers - I just don't like losing them. ;)

Again, I'm not terribly concerned about the wasted experience when you bring androids along. You already waste a lot of the experience you earn as you can only earn so much each battle. Just as long as everyone gets a piece of the action, the overall stat progression of the team works out just fine.

- NKF

I like androids only because they are expendable and great cannon fodder its not like you have to spend alot of time training them and then screaming NOOOOOOOO when they die

They can be used in a human wave formation in ways humans and mutants never can(With androids in the front lines you dont lose your best man in a massive firefight)They are also easily replaced unlike a human/mutant trained for weeks a good android can be replaced easily a good human cant

I don't know, but with 2 shields and a cloak (and disruptor armour, but who's counting) I never seem to lose any men from that point on.

BTW, I want to try a test with the 2 shields. As you know the 1st shield gets damaged first, little by little, until it is destroyed, then the next one starts taking abuse. I want to try dropping and picking damaged and undamaged shields in order to make the full one start taking puishment and have both recharging at the same time. Is that possible? Or does the game instantly assign the lowest charged shield as your first line of defense? I guess you can always just leave a damaged shield on the ground and keep fighting with the other if you're planning to stay put, but... Hmm, do shields dropped on the ground recharge or do they have to be carried. I must test this...

No matter how protected you are you can still lose soldiers to a brief moment of carelessness or getting caught off guard by brainsuckers.

Your shields, by the way, do recharge when left on the ground. However, anthropods and skeletoids will automatically pick up any shields they come across, so you'd best not leave it somewhere that's not clear of aliens. Or, hand it to another soldier who is hanging back and not participating in the heat of the battle. In fact, you may want to swap shields, and let this soldier recharge the shields while your attackers go on about their business. That's one thing I like about the personal shields. They recharge independantly, unlike the ship shields that recharge as only 1 shield.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Hmm, I'm thinking of using a few android squires, perhaps 5 (1 for each squad of 2 humans and 2 hybrids). I'll make them carry 4 shields (2 in backpack, 2 in hands) and have them follow the others to babysit them (give new fully charged shields and pick up the old used/damaged ones). Sounds fun! They can also carry explosives and stuff for the alien building missions, medikits, a powersword and a plasma pistol can fit too so they can fight back and cut through walls.

• 1 month later...

I'm an android fan in early game. No PSI/Brainsucker worries, fast moving, lots of strength.

But right from the start I have a wave or two of Mutants in training to be my elites. As soon as I have shields I move the Droids to base protection and the Mutants go to the field. Not so much for aggressive PSI, I use them as I save time on PSI training since they have a head start. I can focus mainly on combat training for them.

• 5 months later...

Lets not forget people, Mixed unit tactics :P!

They all have their own purpose in the game.

Mutants have the best stun available and abilities to steal equipment

Androids are the suicidal hvy weapons guys ^_^

and humans of course are just the easiest ot get due to populations. So yes humans make the brunt of my force. but If they all came out equal, Id probably scan through the best Psi Mutants, buy all the androids, and to heck with the humans =D

They only seem to dissapoint me, they die more often than my mutants who I often solo missions with LOL

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i havnt really found any best race

*generally*

my robots have the highest ranking, but lowest amount of kills

my humans have the most kills, medium ranking

psy's mhave lowest and medium amout of kills

the psy's i like in some situations were ur outmanned, so u control an enemy and drop a grenade and things go bang. :)

thats an interesting point, Andriods tend to not move around automatically as much, giving you more control over their actions. p:

Really makes you wonder why people bother with Psi at all in Xcom, as you can really spear head any attack with an android and come up unscaved. xD..

Most of the time the android's perfectly fine :D