XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Best Race

Extralucas

What race is best in combat?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do the androids really stay still more often? Or was this just because of your disposition settings? I haven't really seen them behave that differently from the other units apart from being ignored by brainsuckers and psi aliens. Even humans stay still if they're set to aggressive (except when in fire/stun clouds), but will run away on normal and cautious.

-

Psi can be ignored. Lots of players don't even both with it. It's not even needed to win the game - like the smoke grenade or the Annihilator.

It's just another of the many tools you can make use of against the aliens. It doesn't really start off very well nor are there many aliens that are weak to it, but it becomes quite useful once you've nurtured a few good hybrids. Really it's mainly an ammo-less alternative for free shields and it's fun to watch enemies self destruct. :)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I use a healthy mix of each in a squad. In normal conditions that would be 2H+2M+2A or 3H+2M+1A. I use only two squads of 6, I find it gives me good control in the Battlescape. Hybrids can be very useful, both for getting free Personal Disruptor Shields and disarming/blowing up aliens, especially the ones with Dimension Missile Launchers.

Something I was thinking about last night after I posted.

Is it just me or can mutants use their Psi more effectively on Rookie mode? O:

On superhuman I cant control anything with a straight out of the shop Mutant, but in Rookie I remember doing so plenty of times. xD..

Whenever I have used mutants as a part of a 6 man squad, its usually 5 humans and 1 mutant, as my 6 androids are out flanking and spearheading everything they can.

A Mutant in full Marsec armour should NOT be underestimated though.

Plasma Pistol with 2 spare clips, a motion detector, Psi Amp, no shields or anything.

Put it on aimed mode and fly up to the good spots :D

Marsec armor also helps with resistances to certain things.

Just like it worked in the first two games, difficulty level adjusts a number of enemy stats to make them tougher. Basically it's easier to use psi because alien psi defence is lower.

It's funny, but I don't really notice the difference in stats all that much with the common enemies you go up against. With them it's all about sheer numbers you end up facing. The difference between beginner and superhuman is much more obvious with the rarer and unique enemies like the Queenspawn and Megaspawn. They're health tanks.

---

Not sure what special immunities Marsec armor provides over Megapol or X-Com armor, but it's mainly there just there to keep a soldier's weight levels low while still providing at least some protection. If you don't plan on flying, wear a Megapol plate instead, since the torso sections weigh the same, and they need that bit more protection. Of course, unlike humans and androids, hybrids are better off flying, since the most dangerous enemies to them are melee range enemies like the hyperworms and poppers. What with the hybrid's paper thin constituitions when they just start out, it's better to avoid the melee range enemies entirely.

Personally, I feel hybrids should go straigt into combat training for a bit so that they can lug a suit of Megapol armor around and not hold everyone up. ;)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Ah, hadn't realised that. I'm not in the habit of keeping up-to-date with editors since I don't use them as much as I used to. Never did get round to understanding Apocalypse's damage factors either, so this might be illuminating.

So -20% to stun, explosive and incendiary? That's pretty good for protecting against stun and incendiary, but considering the power of the explosives the aliens use, it doesn't seem enough somehow.

It's mainly the regular attacks that might best the Marsec pieces, but the difference in protection between the two sets doesn't look all that astounding, actually. Almost like the difference in power of X-Com UfO's pistol vs. rifle (0 - 8). I mean they vary very little when compared to what Disrupter Armor offers.

So really, now it's all about your own personal taste and weight? (And utility - with the torso plate) Might be a handy way of distinguishing squads or roles with a bit of a dress-up - or just for a bit of a laugh.

Anyway, thanks for that NRN_Sumo1. My position on armour usage hasn't changed, but at least I understand it better now. :)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Well, there's that, but if you're like me and pick one or two of the gangs as a secondary group to attack, say Psyke or Osiron, you get to gather the occasional Marsec part during the raids.

It's not regular, and since I don't attack them very much to keep the score levels in pace with my technology, I usually end up with one guy running around with Marsec pants and a right arm for a while. ;) But getting a torso unit or two is all that really matters right off. The rest of the set can be picked up once they appear for sale.

In either case, the cheaper but heavier Megapol parts are good enough to last till the disrupter shields.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 2 weeks later...

I have no preference on race, as each one of them has their uses.

Humans makes good soldiers. While they have weak Psi Atk, I hardly use that feature anyway. The good stats are even enhanced by the fact that it could be constantly improved, hence, making them the best overall troops. However, late game, enemy Psi attacks are frequent, and no one likes that. Especially Humans.

Hybrids, well, since I don't use Psi, I often times leave them training in bases(Physical Training), and use them mostly as some sort of base defence(along with a few androids).

Androids are great early in the game, but despite the static stats, they are still important enough to have latter in the game. Since they have no organic brains, they cannot be Psi controlled, so they are immune to one of the more hated enemies, the PsiMorphs and their ilk. Also, Androids are good in the early games in missions where the enemies are Brainsuckers and Anthropods. Since Brainsuckers can't do shuckeroonies to Androids, and even better, the Anthropods are all armed with Brainsucker Launchers, they can breeze through the mission. Just be careful of other threats as well, like those Hyperworms.

• 1 year later...
My Ellen Ripley, who was a mutant, kicked alien bottom parts! Eventually she got more kills than any of the humans. Androids are not for me. I'm not into suicidal missions, so I don't need them. I'll rather just use save and load game if something goes utterly wrong. But now I don't have a game going on in it (hdd formatted), but soon the aliens will get it...