XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Idea: Psi-com

I've never gone all-out with the hybrids before but I did enjoy having a couple on my team in my latest round. I've been thinking of trying a game where I use them exclusively to try and max out their psi scores earlier in the game. I think I'll start by replacing my starting agents with androids until I have at least ten hybrids. I may have to go armorless at first until their strengths are up. I'm not sure how to do the training though. It seems like Psi goes up very fast with use. Maybe stick with physical training but then start zapping the cultists with psi for the first week?

Psi only goes up in the gym, same with Strength as you should know.

Dont you DARE send those mutants in without armour. Id have to slap you -.-'

The actual speed doesnt matter on a mutant, simply because it doesnt need speed..

Most Hybrids have High Accuracy

This makes them EXCELLENT SNIPERS

Mabye you should just switch to real time Pherd. :X..

I'm a loot hog. Real-time means less ammo to be found. TB offers more ninja-style tactics only assassinations tend to happen with full auto which really shouldn't be considered stealthy but whatever. It's fun. I feel like I've failed on some level when the aliens actually take a shot at me. At least until I get double shields on everybody. Then play gets considerably more sloppy.

That's a pity about psi only going up with gyms. They really overnerfed psi in this game. Limiting early effective psi to humanoids with actual brains was all the balance that was needed IMO. So the only way to max psi is to just play for weeks beyond the point at which you could easily finish the aliens. Not that I don't do that a lot but it's not a very strong argument for psi.

The answer's even simpler. Take your time. There's no hurry to finish the game unless you're running a speed challenge.

Once you control the skies in the alien dimensions, you can take as much time as you like. No hurry. You can even ignore the wacky politics in the city unless you're attacked.

Until you get that luxury though, hybrids generally take a double blow compared to the other races.

Why? They have the lowest strength in the game.

Humans only need to train in the combat gym until they've maxed their strength, then everything else maxes naturally. Hybrids have to max their strength in operate and carry as much equipment as everyone else. Then they have to train in the psi labs long enough to make sure that their psi skills are useful to any degree.

I generally approach the game by hiring 4 hybrids from the very start. Two go into the combat gym and are used like normal humans for the most part. The other two go into psi training. After a while, they swap their places in the gyms and this repeats until they surpass everyone else. Strangely enough, it works.

The psi-gym hybrids go light and carry Plasguns. I stick them with Plasma guns since they're a decent weapon that's half way between a sniper rifle, are almost as heavy hitting a weapon as the autocannon with AC shells while still retaining a generous rate of fire. More importantly, plasguns are light, compact and carry plenty of ammo. (and they're easy pickings off cultists).

Armour-wise, I try to stick them with the default Megapol armour, as hybrids right off the street tend to die from even the lightest of breezes. However, if they get too cumbersome, this becomes a liability, and get kitted in a rice-paper thin full Marsec suit. Halving the number of also grenades helps cut down the weight problems.

This makes it tough for these hybrids to start with, but once the combat gym hybrids have beefed up a bit, they can swap places and eliminate the weight problems. Humans and androids should act as chaperones, or better still do all the work until the hybrids have caught up. You want the hybrids to train as much as possible and that means not having any damage to their health at all.

Psi is incredibly nerfed in this game, but it's still very useful against all the tool-weilding units once you've got it.

- NKF

I decided it would be more fun to play through with a single super-soldier mutant. Man does bravery go up fast when it's just one guy killing all those cultists. The strength issue isn't so bad if you pay a few visits to Marsec to get the flying armor. He doesn't have enough power to actually attempt mind control yet though. :D Once his strenght is reasonable, I'll switch him to psi for good I think. Edited by Pherdnut