XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Selling Alien Tech

Wolfrug

Hello everyone!

I've been browsing your forums for a while here, rekindling my old passion for X-Com (Apocalypse - I only just bought the Steam X-Com pack, and I'm getting my donkey handed to me in the old X-Com: UFO defense ;)). Anyway, I was wondering: in some threads people have talked about getting raided/raiding organizations and coming up against disruptors and dimension missiles and personal shields and the whole shebang; I too had this problem in one of my earlier games. It was only logical! I had been selling the technology I had researched and acquired for ages, so obviously they had access to it!

However, I in a later game (the first game I won - probably on one of the easier difficulties) decided not to sell any alien tech at all, at least not any tech they could use against me. And, if I remember correctly, the organizations never were equipped with anything but the default weapons! Has anyone else experienced this, or am I dreaming? If it is true, it might be a good hint for some people ;) If you prefer grabbing some easy Psiclones from psyche a couple of times a week in your personal shields/disruptor cannons, fighting against poorly armed militia late game...yeah...don't sell them the tech?

Just wondering if I was just lucky or if the not-selling actually had an effect.

Wolfrug

In the early days, I tried that out and sure nothing was sold - and found that they still got the tech anyway.

I later discovered that, like the aliens, guard technology is released based on your score level. when your score hits certain points, they'll get access to the next level of tech. They tend to be a bit behind the alien's tech release schedule and don't go all the way to the Dimension missile launchers or teleporters.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Ah, right. Darn. I was hoping it'd be otherwise. Would have been a pretty cool feature, really. :) I did rush through that game (never got any teleporters or anything from the aliens even), so I guess it's only natural they didn't have time to acquire the tech. Any ideas on the numbers for when organizations start acquiring alien tech? I mean, these guys didn't even have the disruptor pistol-thing yet at the end of the game, if I remember correctly. Of course I don't have any save games left over for proof ;)

Wolfrug