XCOMUFO & Xenocide

How To Capture A Megaspawn?

Chaim

The toxigun is way too powerful no matter what grade rounds you use. I mainly use it for shield harvesting when my stocks are at rock bottom and my factories aren't able to keep up or when I just want to use unnecessarily excessive force. The gas grenades and rockets are much more fun. Yes they're powerful, but limited by supply.

I'd have preferred the dimension destabiliser as it currently is set up in the game in place of the toxigun (use an editor to add one to stores if you want to test one). That weapon eats shields for breakfast (imagine a unit with 4x shields losing them all with only 2 -3 hits!) but does no physical damage whatsoever. It becomes a support weapon rather than a main weapon, forcing you to use the other weapons to do the dirty deed.

There are also perfectly adequate weapons like the Devestator and the Disrupter Gun (think of it as a submachine gun and it'll be more useful than you think it is). Or if you want low-grade weapons, there's the awesome (by my reckoning) Plasma Gun and the ACAP/ACHE. M4000's and Law Pistols still stick around for the non-tool weilding aliens. Then there's the stun grapple and power sword. For shield harvesting there's always stun grenades and the renewable resource known as psionic stun or mind control. Apocalypse certainly doesn't leave you left wanting for good weapons. You just have to use them right.

It's also worth noting that only a portion of the alien forces use shields.

- NKF

Two indeed! Granted, a good portion of the aliens in the mission will be anthropod/skeletoid, but there are also the worms and other terror aliens that don't carry tools or shields to contend with. you don't need shield phasing weapon to defeat them.

- NKF

I hate worms. They take massive amounts of damage, practically try and kamikaze me, then I'm stuck with 4 hyperworms only a few (read 6 or 7) squares away. Rrrg. I'm usually using HE autocannon ammo on them, then when they die, there's generally another round incoming, which splats the things. Still annoying, because they REFUSE to fire on their own when the worms get close- it's reall annoying,seeing your guys jsut sit there while the machinegunners frantically try and kill the worms.

• 4 months later...

As far as I can tell, I've only heard one or two accounts of capturing the walking spud alive. Even then this is only second hand knowledge and all of them have one thing in common and that is that none of them know how it happened. Generally the Overspawn just shows up in containment alive.

They don't have any real value research-wise, but just being able to capture one is the prize in itself I think. At least, it is at the moment.

- NKF

You need to get those workshops busy then. They're the only way to get any mileage out of any of the alien missile launchers. The stassis missile is by far the most useful of the three - moreso for you if you're just using Explorers. Not being able to recover any partial ammo from the launchers you recover is rather stupid, but hey that's just how the game's made. :)

A stassis missile only freezes its target's movements and its AI operated weapons (manual control overrides this), but does not stun it.

Technically, there are no aliens to capture in the cityscape (the overspawn has weapon hardpoints akin to an Annihilator and plenty of module space! It's basically a tank skinned to look like something out of a B monster movie), so there's no need for a stun mechanic. However, UFOs do have the disabled state when their health is really low. Perhaps the Overspawn might just have something similar. Most weapons might just overshoot this point, hence why it always gets killed.

There might be other conditions that need consideration too. If only we knew what they were.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 1 year later...
I'm not sure, but I might have captured a megaspawn with just stun weapons. But that doesn't count someone accidently shooting him. In realtime mode everyone's ?ber trigger happy. "Commander, that corpse is not finished yet. I will ensure it's death with this High Explosive Rocket!" However, I think I've usually thrown in couple of those exploding multiheaded bananas, then some stun gas... that should do it. If I captured it in the beginning of the mission, then I leave someone with stun grenades near it, to throw some more gas when the cloud has vapourized away. Everyone else I put on total annihilation mode, as the megaspawn probably got some fatal wounds and is going to die if I waste too much time.