XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Looking For Music To This Game

x-fan

Hi there; I played XCOM 1 a few years ago and I remember the music was just great. Since I collect space soundscapes I'd love to have the music for this game in my collection. Since the Playstation version is so hard to come by, would anyone know if the PC version has the good orchestration or the crappy MIDI stuff?

Also, if anyone has MP3s of the original orchestrated music I'd love to get a hold of them. Thanks! :wave:

Edited by x-fan

afaik, xcom1 only got crappy in the CE version, which got a soundless intro and the midi music was mostly crappy and the aliens screams were also crappy. this all, of course, comparing to the DOS version, which didn't have such crap.

unfortunately, since the DOS version doesn't work in my computer anymore i can't record it into MP3.

You haven't heard them? Ah, that's it, I'm not talking to you anymore :P

Seriously, the dos-version had a high-pitched shriek as death sound, MUCH better than those crappy... eehhm... well, you can't call it screams :D from the CE...

well you must know... the horrible secret! ^_^

here are both .CAT files for the battlescape of each version (converted to .WAV for your viewing pleasure). hear them and you'll certainly notice the difference. the DOS version's sounds are of much lower volume than the CE ones.

i still wonder why tftd was improved in the CE version and ufo wasn't ;)

here are both .CAT files for the battlescape of each version (converted to .WAV for your viewing pleasure).

Well, where are they?? :huh:

well, I'm able to run the dos version in winXP, but without any sounds or music :) . But you COULD try the latest version of dosbox...

I think he forgot to include it with his post.

Oh, and sounds for our viewing pleasure? That kind of reminds me of that guy that said on the radio, "I just want to make your viewers aware that ". Made me laugh. :D

[edit] minor typo fix

Edited by Jenny

Oh well, in a way you're probably lucky, never having experienced the sounds of the dos-version, there's no need for you to cower in horror every time you hear an alien die in the CE-version... (and it's not 'cowering in horror' due to the "creepy" :rolleyes: CE sound effects, alas :( ) Edited by j'ordos

here are both .CAT files for the battlescape of each version (converted to .WAV for your viewing pleasure).

Well, where are they?? :huh:

where did it go? :whatwhat:

here it is again (hopefully)

Sounds.zip

Edited by SupSuper

well, with the help of VDMSound and remembering to run the crack thingy for the "page code" :P i got the game to work on windows xp.

ah, the good old memories of an intro with both good sound and music (although it doesn't play too good, but u can't win'em all), good music that actually is of the same volume as sounds and good old alien screams :D

of course, now that i have an athlon xp 2400+, the speed is more hyper than ever. in 5 Secs speed time moves like 1 hour/real second, and in battlescape setting scroll speed doesn't help much. still, better than CE ;)

if i remember i may record the music into MP3 format.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, here are the MP3s i managed to record. Title, Geoscape, Briefing and Tactical (couldn't record Intercept since UFOs don't stay long enough for the whole music :P ). quality is not great but it's not easy to record DOS music in windows xp ;)

edit: zip not uploaded correctly, so get it at http://members.lycos.co.uk/tcfwg/ (the UFO_MP3.zip file)

Edited by SupSuper

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man... the old DOS music was awesome. :)

Nothing like losing on purpose while playing at midnight or so, with all the lights off, no other sounds anywhere in the house... that music plus the screens that show in the losing sequence make me almost pee my pants in fright... and I'm 19 now. :Blush:

• 3 months later...
If there is still intrest in ufo music, i have all original midis from ufo. I have all midis from terror from the deep also. So if somebody wants them i will post them here later.

I've got the PS version of X-Com. It has 9 music (.wav) tracks, I think. I could get hem to somebody on WinMX or something, since I don't have web space for them...? any suggestions? also, I only have Windows Media Player and that imports everything as a .wma file.

Here is the Xcom1 midis. They shoud be direct rips from game. I dunno who rip them but here they are.

edit: Found file from my harddrive that has info.txt innit. So chanced file to that.

UFO___Enemy_Unknown.zip

Edited by Raven Squad

thanks j'ordos. that will come in handy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Here is the Xcom1 midis. They shoud be direct rips from game. I dunno who rip them but here they are.

edit: Found file from my harddrive that has info.txt innit. So chanced file to that.

Alright! I was looking for these things! I like the Geoscape song from the PC version much better than I do the PSX one, though the PSX did benefit from some good music however.

• 4 weeks later...

Never mind, I found them in the SOUND Directory. LOL

The only game that doesn't work for is Apocalypse (and more likely than not, Interceptor).

For Terror from the Deep and UFO Defense, all the midi files are right there, out in the open. I can't believe I never noticed before.

Edited by Chris StarShade

Never mind, I found them in the SOUND Directory.  LOL

The only game that doesn't work for is Apocalypse (and more likely than not, Interceptor).

For Terror from the Deep and UFO Defense, all the midi files are right there, out in the open.  I can't believe I never noticed before.

check pinned topic in xcom3 : general forum for xcom music. Reason for the uploaded midis is because they are from the DOS version and some believe they are better, but yes, they're all just in the sounds dir :)

I am sorry, but having reviewed both versions repeatedly, I can find no substantial differences between them. Anything that might have been "better" on the DOS version was a function of whatever sound card you had back then.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! In any event, it's nice to have the midi files 'loose' so they can be properly tampered with. haha

I am sorry, but having reviewed both versions repeatedly, I can find no substantial differences between them.  Anything that might have been "better" on the DOS version was a function of whatever sound card you had back then.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  In any event, it's nice to have the midi files 'loose' so they can be properly tampered with.  haha

I disagree, My soundcard now (most basic model) is not much different from the one I had back them (Whoopass of the day), but the sound really is'nt the same at all... :blink: IMO, a nightime mission was trully spine-chilling back then, and it's not just mere nostalgia. <_>

It's not spine-chilling anymore because you have Doom3 to compare it to. Duh.

In any event, unless you have been playing the game with the EXACT SAME sound card, and the EXACT SAME midi drivers, it is going to sound different.

It is the nature of the midi files. Speaking of which, I am resisting the urge to replace the geoscape files with a midi version of Men in Black.

haha! Maybe mix in a little Doom music, an FF battle theme for Interception...

Hmm... Descent music... I didn't think of that. Oh the fun we can have by replacing midi files. :devillaugh:

Hmmmm... I'll take your word for it, because I remember it very well, and it was plainly different... (And I'm not interested in Doom3, I got sick of the original and the whole genre years ago...)

My point is that my sound card being a lot better today than it was 10 years ago, it SHOULD sound better, not crappier...

There really is not comparison IMO.

I think someone else mentionned this (Jordos mabe?) sound difference between the DOS and the CE version...

Anyway, my point remains that I'd like Xenocide to have the same kind of bone-chilling screams and eerie music... If it sounds as good as it looks, it should be great!

:D

Actually there is no diffrence between CE versions midi and those in that zip. Just compared them and i didnt see any diffrence.

Yeah, well there must be a heck of a difference in the in-game MIDI player then, or with the driver adaptation for Win32, because they really ARE different. Most people that tried both will tell you the same thing IMO.

Using different midi players makes no difference, it is all in the midi driver your computer has.

Also, I agree that it is most annoying that newwer midi drivers make older midis sound like crap.

It is a function of, they sounded good as beeps and whistles, but now that it has changed into drums, pianoes, and harpsichords it sounds cacophonous.

Midi is pretty much little more than digital sheet music that the midi player processes, maps to "voices" (instruments) and then plays. Theoretically, the better the midi player the better it sounds.

In actuality, midi files tend to sound best when using the midi drivers that the author was using when making the midi file in the first place. Newwer drivers just mimic real instruments better than older drivers. They don't necessarily make older midi files sound better (which is a real shame).

In my experience, about half the midi files sound better and half sound worse. (and whatever is left over sounds good with a few sub-par elements, such as the turn of the tune in the 2nd geoscape midi.... for some reason the instrument that emphasizes that has lower volume on the newwer drivers. A pity, but nothing a quick turn of the volume control can't fix).