CTD - NEUDARs (Short and Large Range)

SupSuper

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the radar models are done, oh well.

I don't think the "and on the 12th day man created Neutrino" issue is too much of a problem. You could always mention in the CTD that most of the equipment/parts are "donated" from other secret government projects.

I agree that if you're getting international funding and all the leading research across the world, you'd have access to what you need. Again this is a spot where there's no need to explain why the spheres would be available in 12 days, it doesn't matter. If it sounds good for explaining how the detection works, then it's good.

Yeah, that's a pretty good explanation. It needs to work gameplay-wise, as well, so spending 3 months setting a detector up would be pretty dumb.

I wonder, though, how do X-Corps craft detect UFOs? Alien bases sometimes have UFO powersources, so can they be detected by the neutrino dectector, as well? (Maybe it'd be the end of month thing, like in X-COM)

["and on the 12th day man created Neutrino, /

and the sky turned hippie, /

with firery rainbows raining down /

from the heavens." Delegations, Mar. 12.]

All the pilots are fed LSD through their oxygen masks when flying, and they start to see the neutrinos flying everywhere.... ;)

AIRCRAFT:

Aircraft could detect UFOs using conventional (active) RADAR since they have no need to be stealthy. The UFOs will certainly detect the aircraft. The main reason to use NADARs is becuase xcom bases are underground, and becuase the need to be undetectable. So bases use nadar, aircraft use radar. you could have a ban on aircraft useing radar while below 5km/10km/?km so they dont give away the position of the base.

GOOD CTD TZUCHAN, SOME POINTS:

As for the "3 tank" thing, dont speficify the tanks or the geometry. let the model pl come up with a base resource 3d model, then look at that, and say what it looks like based on what the model looks like. i put the pics in so the modellers could take some artistic license in the right direction.

you dont need tanks 3 tanks for triangualtion, that is a RADAR thing.

In NADAR the cone has an orientation, so you can backtrack to se which direction the neutruino showever came from. you can look at the number of events to determine crossection, or in this case, distance.

OR multiple cones might come into one tank, and then you could look at their relative orientation to triangulate (one tank can do the job of 3 tanks).

the large NADAR will just be a larger tank holding more water. its that simple.

more water=more detection volume= increased probabilty of detection=better NADAR.

similarly having 2 nadars in the base is exactly twice as good as having 1 nadar.

if the large nadar is 5 times the volume of the small nadar, having 5 small nadars is exactly as good.

lastly, you shoud mention that more than just SK2 saw the UFOs, or that strange results came in . the scientists wouldtn know about any ufos, and the governemtn wouldnt know about the scientists results for a week or two at the quickest. fluff it up a little i guess ;) :P

FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION/THOUGHT:

we should discus range of the nadar. it is infinite. we can detect ufos which were at alpha centauri, or the moon, or from a far away galaxy. BUT the probabiltiy[\b] of detection goes down as 1/r^2 where r is the distance to the UFO. SO it is 4 times more likely to detect a ufo 1km away as it is to detect a ufo 2 km away.

please note that this is probabilistic, so the ufo can be on top of you and there is NO gauruntee that it will be detected. i guess the ufos will pop on and off the nadar screen in the geoscape view. however! if they are close, the will be on the screen most of the time!

now neutrinos are hard to detect since they dont interact with matter much (this is why they can go through the bedorck/the planet). sooooo.... we have to fudge this a little for gameplay and say we came up wth ultra pure water DOPED with.... ??? (insert funny chemical soundign name here). id be tempted to dope it with xenium, except ther is nohing about xenium as i know it to suggest this, and we dont have it at the start of the game. so i figure it'll be insert chemical here.

OK, i gotta work. sorry i dont check in enough, will try to do it every 2 days.

Yes, that would be good as a nod to the original except that E-115 decays quickly (to my knowledge) which means it'll emit neutrinos, which will give false signals.

you typically use heavy water, or water with a excess of protons, since protons 'don't decay', but it provides some extra mass for neutrinos to interect with.

Ignore my "stick in the mudness" if it is decided to be an easter egg.

Edited by Cartesian

Sorry, no Elerium-115 unless it's an official scientific element and not the intellectual property of the original game.

Regarding the chance to detect, I don't think we need to explain this, there's a fixed % chance to detect a ufo with each radar every X minutes of game time, the range doesn't matter so long as it's in the max range of the device. I really liked how my short range radar could detect ufos on either coast of the USA when my base was in kansas, that 300 mile radius was more like 1500...

Regarding the chance to detect, I don't think we need to explain this, there's a fixed % chance to detect a ufo with each radar every X minutes of game time, the range doesn't matter so long as it's in the max range of the device. I really liked how my short range radar could detect ufos on either coast of the USA when my base was in kansas, that 300 mile radius was more like 1500...

yeah, we definitely shoudnt be explaining the mechanics of the probability to detct UFOs in the CTD, I was just mentioning it somewhere since it should be metioned. perhaps we can implement this in v>1 for the superhuman users.

• 2 weeks later...
There was an earlier thread for the short range/small radar initiated by SupSuper further down the forum, I'm merging it in here to keep everything in 1 place.

• 9 months later...

I'm amused to see that while the Large Nuedar CT has already received the stamp of approval from the Proofread Taskforce, the Small Nuedar has been forgotten about.

Anyway, I just revised it some, and added some stuff about why normal radar can't be used as well as developed a smaller version for aircrafts and missles.

The small NEUDAR is a neutrino based detection system that currently is the only method of detecting UFOs reliably. X-Corps is the first military force to implement the use of NEUDARs, and as such, is the only combat force with the ability to detect and counter the alien invaders.

Records have shown that UFOs have means of evading detection by conventional radars, probrably due to the materials and construction of the alien crafts. As result, when the UFO incursions increased both in hostility as well as frequency, it proved important to develop an effective means of detection.

During a documented UFO sighting in Japan, the Kamiokande II neutrino detector recorded an unprecedented increase in neutrino detection and when the scientists calculated the source of the neutrinos, they discovered that the source corresponded with the position of the UFO. Futher research into this phenomena revealed that many neutrino detectors detected increased rates of neutrino detection during time periods that corresponded with a roughly quarter of all UFO sightings reported. This immediately triggered a renewed interest in the development of a neutrino detection array, this time specifically designed to detect the neutrino emissions given off by UFOs.

The small Neutrino Detection Array(NEUDAR) consists of three large underground tanks filled with ultra-pure water and lined with extremely sensitive light sensors. When highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, they give of bursts of lights in a cone. By detecting the cones of lights, the direction from which the neutrinos originated from can be calculated by a cluster of computer. Then, by combining data from the three tanks, the position of the source can then be triangulated.

A smaller variation of the neutrino detector, designed with a aluminium oxide orb six inches in diameter encapsulated with photosensitive CCD was developed for use with aircrafts and missles inorder to detect and intercept UFOs. While less sensetive and accurate than ground based NUEDARs, the ALOX based system, when combined with Foward-Looking InfraRed(FLIR) cameras, provide our aircrafts with the ability to find the alien crafts.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the entire NEUDAR network as a whole as well as speed up the triangulation of the source. This is because the addition of tanks not only increases the chances of detection a neutrino burst, but also provide additional directional data not only for use in the calculation of the source, but also as a source of data verification.

Due to the fact that NEUDARs are located underground and are based on passive detection, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuble asset as it will prevent the alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. A design for large NEUDARs has been completed recently and has both improved detection rates as well as increased detection range.

Now for some stuff that might be of concern that I felt was unnecessary to include in the CT itself.

1) Why the use of three tanks instead of one?

Simple, to provide better resolution. Yes, this is the simple version, but three small tanks would, imho, provide better resolution than one huge than with a similar volume, simply because by being separated by a certain distance, the individual nuetrinos that are detected(Assuming common source) would have larger difference in vectors, allowing easier pinpointing. Also, when dealling with two sources near each other, the greater distances between the detected nuetrinos would provide for an easier time differentiating the two sources.

2) Why use ALOX for the aircrafts and not water? or vice versa?

Using water in high performance aircraft sounds like a bad idea to me, especially when manuvering. And if the containment system broke down, the water seepage(especially near electronics) sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. There's also the fact that G forces or, *ahem* inertia, might come into play here. As for the ground systems, ALOX might indeed work better, but then due to the size involved, ease of maintaince comes into play, not to mention getting a globe of ALOX some 10 to 15 feet in diameter into position. Then there's the ease of manufacturing. The ALOX globe HAS to be pure of any imperfections. Easy to handle when it's about siz inches in diameter, but 15 feet? I'm not sure about the cost of ALOX, but I'm pretty sure that an 15 feet in diameter, pure of imperfection globe of ALOX is going to cost a whole lot more than pure heavy water of the same volume.

NEUDAR.rtf

eh....could you please cut down on the "detect"´s? It might sound a little... messy :P

also:

"X-Corps is the first military force to implement the use of NEUDARs, and as such, is the only combat force with the ability to detect and counter the alien invaders."

EFFICENTLY detect, there have been past attempts.

I'm amused to see that while the Large Nuedar CT has already received the stamp of approval from the Proofread Taskforce, the Small Nuedar has been forgotten about.

The Proofreading Taskforce has not revised the Neudars, I'm afraid you're mistaken, we've only covered [Aliens] so far and are starting with [weapons]. I am not sure if the previous taskforce proofread it, as the work back then is a little confusing, once we get there I'll try to have them both at the same time for comparison.

The Proofreading Taskforce has not revised the Neudars, I'm afraid you're mistaken, we've only covered [Aliens] so far and are starting with [weapons]. I am not sure if the previous taskforce proofread it, as the work back then is a little confusing, once we get there I'll try to have them both at the same time for comparison.

Ah, my apologies...

I think that it was proofread by Brue in the previous taskforce.

Ah, my apologies...

I think that it was proofread by Brue in the previous taskforce.

Strange that he only proofread one of them, they are both here in this thread, right?

What's your assessment Tzuchan?, are they ready or need too much work?

The Large Neudar CT is pretty much finished if you ask me. I can't really thing of anything more to add to it that isn't already stated in the Small Neudar CT.

The small Neudar, however, might need a run through with a thesaruas

Other than that, I don't think there's much of grammatical or theoritical errors.

A couple of word replacements and sentence revisons. Nothing major.

The small NEUDAR is a neutrino based detection system that currently is the only method of detecting UFOs reliably. X-Corps is the first military force to implement the use of NEUDARs, and as such, is the only combat force with the ability to effectively detect and counter the alien invaders.

Records have shown that UFOs have means of evading detection by conventional radars, probrably due to the materials and construction of the alien crafts. As result, when the UFO incursions increased both in hostility as well as frequency, it proved important to develop an effective means of detection.

During a documented UFO sighting in Japan, the Kamiokande II neutrino detector recorded an unprecedented increase in neutrino detection and when the scientists calculated the source of the neutrinos, they discovered that the source corresponded with the position of the UFO. Futher research into this phenomena revealed that many neutrino detectors detected increased rates of neutrino detection during time periods that corresponded with a roughly quarter of all UFO sightings reported. This immediately triggered a renewed interest in the development of a neutrino detection array, this time specifically designed to triangulate and track UFOs.

The small Neutrino Detection Array(NEUDAR) consists of three large underground tanks filled with ultra-pure water and lined with extremely sensitive light sensors. When highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, they give of bursts of lights in a cone. By detecting the cones of lights, the direction from which the neutrinos originated from can then be calculated by a cluster of computer. Then, by combining data from the three tanks, the position of the source can then be triangulated.

A smaller variation of the neutrino detector, designed with a aluminium oxide orb six inches in diameter encapsulated with photosensitive CCD was developed for use with aircrafts and missles inorder to detect and intercept UFOs. While less sensitive and accurate than ground based NUEDARs, the ALOX based system, when combined with Foward-Looking InfraRed(FLIR) cameras, provide our aircrafts with the ability to track the alien crafts.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the entire NEUDAR network as a whole as well as speed up the triangulation of the source. This is because the addition of tanks not only increases the chances of detecting a neutrino burst, but also provide additional directional data besides being used to the calculation of the source, but also as a source of data verification.

Due to the fact that NEUDARs are located underground and are based on passive detection, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuble asset as it will prevent the alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. A design for large NEUDARs has been completed recently and has both improved detection rates as well as increased detection range.

NEUDAR.rtf

Who wrote what?, and where are the latest writings?, this thread is somewhat...messy.

:sly:

Okay, latest version of Small NEUDAR, replacing Small Radar followed by the Large NEUDAR, replacing Large Radar in this post.

Original CTs where by SupSuper or MagicAndy(I think), but upon request by Cartesian, I wrote up CTs based on his idea of Neutrino Detection Arrays.

Previous Radar CTs are outdated, current NEUDAR CTs are my work.

Large NEUDAR was apparently proofed by the previous taskforce.

Small_NEUDAR.rtf

Large_NEUDAR.rtf

Edited by tzuchan

"...three large underground tanks filled with ultra-pure water and lined with extremely sensitive light sensors..."

considre replacing with: "...three large underground tanks filled with pure H2O, and lined with extremely sensetive light sensors...."

Latest revision of Short Range NEUDAR here. Also, I have to thank Mikker for inspiration of the fluff, and removed that tounge twister. Addition of reason behind range constraint

The Short Range NEUDAR is a neutrino based detection system that currently is the only method of detecting UFOs reliably. X-Corps is the first military force to implement the use of NEUDARs, and as such, is the only combat force with the ability to effectively detect and counter the alien invaders.

During a documented UFO sighting in Japan, the Kamiokande II neutrino detector recorded an unprecedented increase in neutrino detection and when the scientists calculated the source of the neutrinos, they discovered that the source corresponded with the position of the UFO. Futher research into this phenomena revealed that many neutrino detectors recorded increased rates of neutrino detection during time periods that corresponded with a roughly quarter of all UFO sightings reported. This immediately triggered a renewed interest in the development of a neutrino detection array, this time specifically designed to triangulate and track UFOs.

The Short Range Neutrino Detection Array(NEUDAR) consists of three large underground tanks filled with pure water and lined with extremely sensitive light sensors. When highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, they give of bursts of lights in a cone. By detecting the cones of light, the direction from which the neutrinos originated from can then be calculated by a cluster of computer. Then, by combining data from the three tanks, the position of the source can then be triangulated. While there is no maximum range at which neutrinos can be detected, the number of neutrinos from any one source that can be detected by the NEUDAR decreases exponentially as the distance increases. As such, the NEUDAR system is limited by the range at which neutrino emitted by UFOs fade into the background radiation.

A smaller variation of the neutrino detector, designed with a aluminium oxide orb six inches in diameter encapsulated with photosensitive CCD was developed for use with aircrafts and missles inorder to detect and intercept UFOs. While less sensitive and accurate than ground based NUEDARs, the ALOX based system, when combined with Foward-Looking InfraRed(FLIR) cameras, provide our aircrafts with the ability to track the alien crafts.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the entire NEUDAR network as a whole as well as speed up the triangulation of the source. This is because the addition of tanks not only increases the chances of detecting a neutrino burst, but also provide additional directional data besides being used to the calculation of the source, but also as a source of data verification.

"That many neutrino detectors detected increased rates of neutrino detector.. detraction.. detracted.. ARGH!"

- Tounge-tied scientist during Xenocide Technical Briefing

Small_NEUDAR.rtf

Modified Long Range NEUDAR here...

Sorry, this means that the Xenocide Proofread taskforce will have to reproof this CT again(Although I think Azrael was already planning to do so :Coffee: )

Added some developement history and explanation for better range.

Long Range Neudar Facility

Short Entry:

The Long Range NEUDAR is a recently developed larger and more advanced version of the Short Range Neudar that has both better detection range and detection rate through the use of CCDs and an advanced supercomputer. Multiple NEUDARs can improve the detection rate of UFOs that are within range. We recommend that at least one Long Range NEUDAR be built at every base.

Body:

When the prototype NEUDAR system was first activated, it immediately detected dozens of UFOs in the surrounding areas. However, scrambled fighters from nearby airbases did not encouter any unidentified crafts at any of the reported locations. Upon investigation, it was discovered that many of the false readings were caused by the background radiation. While an algorithim later was developed to filter out the background radiation, there was still enough static to limit the range of the NEUDAR system. In an effort to increase detection range, developement of a long range neutrino detection array was initiated.

The result of the project, the Long Range NEUDAR, not only fulfilled the requirement of better detection range, but also had better rate of detection. However, due to the fact that the Long Range NEUDAR required an extremely long time to setup compared to the Short Range NEUDAR, it was deemed that Short Range NEUDARs were necessary as to provide new bases with the ability to provide NEUDAR coverage while the long range version is under construction.

The Long Range Neutrino Detection Array (NEUDAR), like the Short Range NEUDAR, consists of three large, underground tanks filled with pure water. However, these three tanks are twenty percent larger than their counterparts in the smaller NUEDAR and use an extremely sensitive layer of Charged-Couple Devices (CCDs) that enable the large Neudar to collect very precise data regarding the neutrinos that it detects. This, combined with the use of the new HELIX III supercomputer and advanced filtering algorithms, provides the Long Range NUEDAR the ability to reduce the effects of background radiation interference, enabling the detection of UFOs outside the range of the Short Range NEUDAR. The processing power of the HELIX III supercomputer also reduces the time required to triangulate a neutrino source, increasing the rate at which neutrino sources can be pinpoint and verified.

Unfortunately, the CCDs used in the construction of the detector tanks are not only much more expensive than the light sensors used in the smaller NEUDAR, they also have a tendency to burn out. As such, they have to be replaced regularly, resulting in higher maintenance costs. The use of a HELIX III supercomputer also adds considerably to the expense of the Long Range NEUDAR system. Nevertheless, the detection rates and range of the larger system means that it is well worth the extra cost and time required to build it.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the entire network as a whole as well as speed up the triangulation of the source. This is because the addition of tanks not only increases the chances of detecting a neutrino burst, but also provides additional directional data not only for use in the calculation of the source, but also as a source of data verification.

Due to the fact that NEUDARs are located underground and are based on passive detection, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset as it will prevent the alien invaders from locating our bases with ease.

Fluff:

empty

Large_NEUDAR.rtf

Hmm...

Five days without any comments...

Either everyone is saving thier ammunition for when I make this post, or it's so done, it could prolly skip past the CT Proofreader Taskforce...

Azrael? You said that you were going to look it over :Poke:

I don't think I can add anymore to either of the two CTs...

Hm... The Tale of the Two CTs

They are really good IMHO (especially the Long Range NEUDAR), but I'll let the masters of proofreading/CTD Correction check it... ^_^

Just 2 ideas about the fluffs:

*Short range:

- That's a cool RADAR!

- It's a NEUDAR Jones!

- Ah, ok then, it's a cool Neudar Radar!

-

Conversation between X-Corps Scientists

*Long range:

- Just BRILLIANT! Maybe they will let me calibrate this lil baby in order to easily detect my wife...

X-Corps scientist Dr. John Shagwealthy

Guest Azrael
Hmm...

Five days without any comments...

Either everyone is saving thier ammunition for when I make this post, or it's so done, it could prolly skip past the CT Proofreader Taskforce...

Azrael? You said that you were going to look it over :Poke:

I don't think I can add anymore to either of the two CTs...

Hm... The Tale of the Two CTs

Sorry Tzuchan, these have been crazy days for me :), I'll try to take a look a it today, or in 10 days, one of two :P

• 2 weeks later...
This CT has to be modified to fit Artwork's model, Tzuchan has told me that he hasn't been able to come up with a rewrite, so anyone willing to take a crack at it, it's all yours.

• 1 month later...
This CT has to be modified to fit Artwork's model, Tzuchan has told me that he hasn't been able to come up with a rewrite, so anyone willing to take a crack at it, it's all yours.

But I'm not sure, why the texts need a rewrite? With the exception of the ALOX detector, which probably doesn't work, the texts are quite nice. I think.........

.......I see, the artist draw a simple satelite dish instead of some lousy tanks with detectors............can they redraw the neudar? Drawing some cylinders won't take long, I think...........I wonder what Tzuchan thinks about all this.........

Guest Azrael

But I'm not sure, why the texts need a rewrite? With the exception of the ALOX detector, which probably doesn't work, the texts are quite nice. I think.........

.......I see, the artist draw a simple satelite dish instead of some lousy tanks with detectors............can they redraw the neudar? Drawing some cylinders won't take long, I think...........I wonder what Tzuchan thinks about all this.........

Tzuchan has asked for it to be moved to active for someone else to rewrite.

Tzuchan has asked for it to be moved to active for someone else to rewrite.

So much work for nothing... too bad.

Which are the requirements for neudar? It has to be radio wavelength based, or how is it exactly?

I might try in the weekend to adapt the text, but I have to know what is allowed and what is not. Thanks

I would be very happy if someone could convince the AWD to modify thier models to fit, but the standard operating procedure is that the CT changes instead of the model if the models came first.

So look for the link to the base module threads(In here somewhere) and see if you can either convince the AWD to change, modify the CT to fit, or start a new one...

• 9 months later...

SHORT RANGE NEUDAR

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Short Range NEUDAR

The Short Range Neutrino Detection Array is the only reliable UFO detection system we can currently count on. X-Corps is the first military force to implement the use of NEUDARs, and as such, is the only combat force with the ability to effectively detect and counter the Alien invaders

“We have a neutrino-eye / looking at the sky!”

- Dr. Steven Rosenberg, a great fan of poetry

Records have shown that UFOs have means of evading detection by conventional radars. It was speculated that the reason behind this was the very nature of the Alien construction materials. As result, when the Alien ship incursions increased in both hostility as well as frequency, it proved important to develop an effective means of their detection.

During a documented UFO sighting in Japan, the Super-Kamiokande neutrino detector recorded an unprecedented increase in neutrino detection. The scientists were amazed to discover that the neutrino source was right at the position of the Alien sighting. Further research into this eventuation revealed that many other neutrino detectors recorded congruent increase in neutrino detection rates during time periods that corresponded reported UFO sightings. This immediately triggered a renewed interest in the development of a neutrino detection array specifically designed to detect and track UFOs.

The NEUDAR consists of two optimized RICH sensors, which are large spherical tanks filled with heavy water and lined with extremely sensitive Cherenkov light sensors. When highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, bursts of Cherenkov radiation produce light cones, which are detected and provide the needed information for calculating from where the neutrinos originated. Then, by combining data from the two tanks, the position of the source can then be estimated by using the Doppler Effect. While there is no maximum range at which neutrinos can be detected, the number of neutrinos from any one source that can be detected by the NEUDAR decreases exponentially as the distance increases. As such, the NEUDAR system is limited by the range at which neutrino emitted by UFOs fade into the background radiation. In addition, a main high-tech dish detects Infrared radiation, which aids in the identification of the target. All the collected information are then sent into the main console, which computes the data in real-time and provides a user-friendly visual output, which includes UFO positions on the globe map simulation. The NEUDAR operator is able to do operational checks, execute maintenance routines and change setup parameters through the console.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the entire NEUDAR network as a whole as well as speed up the detection of the source. This is because the addition of tanks not only increases the chances of detecting a neutrino burst, but also provides additional directional data which, besides being used for the calculation of the source, is also a source of data verification.

Because NEUDARs are located underground and are based on passive detection, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. A design for large NEUDARs has been completed recently and has both improved detection rates as well as increased detection range.

"That many neutrino detectors detected increased rates of neutrino detector... detraction... detracted... ARGH!"

- Tongue-tied scientist during Xenocide Technical Briefing

============

Whoa, this proved to be a TOUGH one... This is definitely incomplete, as I have to provide better explanation for the operation of the device and why we don't need some 500 tons of heavy water as a normal neutrino detector needs :P

These links are pure gold!

Neutrino Detection

Cherenkov Radiation

Super-Kamiokande

Edited by kafros

IIRC we duscussed this previously and since the models for the Radar facilities had been completed we were going continue with standard radars as the base means of detection.

IIRC we duscussed this previously and since the models for the Radar facilities had been completed we were going continue with standard radars as the base means of detection.

If possible, we'll attempt to maintain tzuchan's work as much as possible; if we cannot, then we will see about switching to radars.

I don't see a problem with this.

The NEUDAR consists of two optimized RICH sensors, which are large spherical tanks filled with heavy water and lined with extremely sensitive Cherenkov light sensors.

(1)

In addition, a main high-tech dish detects Infrared radiation, which aids in the identification of the target.

(2)

All the collected information are then sent into the main console

(3)

nudar.JPG

The NEUDAR consists of two optimized RICH sensors, which are large spherical tanks filled with heavy water and lined with extremely sensitive Cherenkov light sensors.

(1)

In addition, a main high-tech dish detects Infrared radiation, which aids in the identification of the target.

(2)

All the collected information are then sent into the main console

(3)

Cool! seems it fits just right this time, nice work kafros =b

Darkhomb, I just LOVE you mate!!! =b =b =b

I just saw the last 4 posts. At first I saw Vaaish's (of course), and I have to admit that for a second my blood turned cold :P. I would make such a picture if I had to, but I really liked your initiative :Hug:

So, I think that now I can write the Large NEUDARs CT, and them I will optimize both of them. :)

OMG Lets calm down on the love part ... but I would hate to see hard work (both text and artwork) go down the drain. I don't think they read the revisions and just thought the same problems were still there... As for the large radar the angle is hard to see. I’ll take alook at it when I get back. If you want another view

I have to be sure that these two CTs are compatible, so please don't mind if I re-post the Short Neudar. This version is changed quite a bit in order to help me accomodate information needed in the Large Neudar CT. The problem is that the Large one seems to have only 1(!!!) tank. And there is no **** .max viewer on the whole Internet! Are .3ds models that difficult to create?

---------------

SHORT RANGE NEUDAR FACILITY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Short Range NEUDAR

The Short Range NEUtrino Detection ARray is the only reliable UFO detection system we can currently count on. X-Corps is the first military force to implement the use of NEUDARs, and as such, is the only combat force with the ability to effectively detect and counter the Alien invaders.

“We have a neutrino-eye / looking at the sky!”

- Dr. Steven Rosenberg, a great fan of poetry

Records have shown that UFOs have means of evading detection by conventional radars. It was speculated that the reason behind this was the very nature of the Alien construction materials. As result, when the Alien ship incursions increased in both hostility as well as frequency, it proved important to develop an effective means of their detection.

During a documented UFO sighting in Japan, the Super-Kamiokande neutrino detector recorded an unprecedented increase in neutrino detection. The scientists were amazed to discover that the neutrino source was right at the position of the Alien sighting. Further research into this eventuation revealed that many other neutrino detectors recorded congruent increase in neutrino detection rates during time periods that corresponded reported UFO sightings. This immediately triggered a renewed interest in the development of a neutrino detection array specifically designed to detect and track UFOs.

The SR-NEUDAR consists of two RICH (Ring Imaging CHerenkov detector) sensors, which are large spherical tanks filled with dense heavy water and lined with extremely sensitive PMT sensors. These PhotoMultiplier Tubes have been extremely optimized. They are not only much tinier, but also more sensitive than common PMTs. Thus, a small but very practical tank model was created. When highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, Cherenkov radiation bursts out in light cones, which are detected and provide the needed information for calculating from where the neutrinos originated. Then, by combining data from the two tanks, the position of the source can then be estimated according to the Doppler Effect. While there is no maximum range at which neutrinos can be detected, the number of neutrinos from any one source that can be detected by the NEUDAR decreases exponentially as the distance increases due to noise from cosmic and atmospheric radiation. As such, the NEUDAR system is limited by the range at which neutrino emitted by UFOs fade into the background noise. In addition to neutrino detection, a high-tech dish detects Infrared radiation, which aids in the identification of the target. All the collected information are then sent into the main console, which computes the data in real-time and provides a user-friendly visual output, which includes UFO positions on the globe map simulation. The NEUDAR operator is able to do operational checks, execute maintenance routines and change setup parameters through the console.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the entire NEUDAR network as a whole as well as speed up the detection of the source. This is because the addition of tanks not only increases the chances of detecting a neutrino burst, but also provides additional directional data which, besides being used for the calculation of the source, is also a source of data verification.

Because NEUDARs are located underground and are based on passive detection, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. A design for large NEUDARs has been completed recently and has both improved detection rates as well as increased detection range.

"That many neutrino detectors detected increased rates of neutrino detector... detraction... detracted... ARGH!"

- Tongue-tied scientist during Xenocide Technical Briefing

Edited by kafros

LONG RANGE NEUDAR FACILITY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Long Range NEUDAR

The Long Range NEUtrino Detection ARray is a recently developed larger and more advanced version of the SR-NEUDAR that has both better detection range and detection rate by using Ultra Sensitive PMTs and an advanced supercomputer. Multiple NEUDARs can improve the detection rate of UFOs that are within range. We recommend that at least one Long Range NEUDAR should be built at every base.

When the prototype NEUDAR system was first activated, it immediately detected dozens of UFOs in the surrounding areas. However, scrambled fighters from nearby airbases did not encounter any unidentified crafts at any of the reported locations. Upon investigation, it was discovered that many of the false readings were caused by the background radiation. While an algorithm was immediately developed to filter out the noise, there was still enough static to limit the range of the NEUDAR system. In an effort to increase detection range, development of a long-range neutrino detection array was initiated.

The result of the project, the LR-NEUDAR, not only fulfilled the requirement of better detection range, but also had a faster rate of detection. However, because the LR-NEUDAR required an extremely long time to setup compared to the SR-NEUDAR, it was deemed policy to firstly build SR-NEUDARs in order to provide new bases with the UFO detection ability while the long-range version is under construction.

The NEUDAR, unlike the Short Range version, consists of only one heavy water tank. However, this tank is twenty percent larger than its counterparts in the smaller NEUDAR are. Moreover, it uses a double-layer of extremely sensitive PMTs (PhotoMultiplier Tubes) that enable the large NEUDAR to collect very precise data regarding the neutrinos that it detects. This, combined with the use of the new HELIX III supercomputer and advanced filtering algorithms, provides the Long Range NEUDAR the ability to reduce the effects of background radiation interference, enabling the detection of UFOs outside the range of the Short Range NEUDAR. The processing power of the HELIX III supercomputer, combined with the recently developed Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish™ which uses a grand variety of wavelengths to detect and identify targets, also reduces the time required to triangulate a neutrino source, increasing the rate at which these sources can be pinpointed and verified.

Unfortunately, the new sensory tanks are not only much more expensive than the light sensors used in the smaller NEUDAR, but they also have a tendency to burn out. As such, they have to be replaced regularly, resulting in higher maintenance costs. The use of a HELIX III supercomputer also adds considerably to the expense of the Long Range NEUDAR system. Nevertheless, the detection rates and range of the larger system means that it is well worth the extra cost and time required to build it.

“Neutrino, Tarantino, Babylino… There must be some connection between these… It’s the Aliens work, I’m telling ya!”

- Sacked Rookie Sam Gordon, during an application test

I just saw the last 4 posts. At first I saw Vaaish's (of course), and I have to admit that for a second my blood turned cold :P.

I have that effect... could be the meaning of my name :P

My intention was I saw this continuing on as neudar and didn't want things to go to far if there was a problem.

I have that effect... could be the meaning of my name :P

Or the purport of your statements... :P

I think that these CTs are compatible with the models, right?

People (*Cough* Mad *Cough* Az *Cough* *Cough*), I am waiting for your comments :)

Edited by kafros