XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo2000 For Gp2x!

dolny

GP2X is a linux-based handheld with a great community of developers. You can currently play games like Ultima 7, some Amiga games, Duke Nukem3D, Quake. You can also download an emu and play Metal Slug, Sonic, and other SNES, Neo Geo, etc games. GP2x can also play divx movies and act as an audio player. Check it out here: http://www.gp2x.co.uk and at google.

I'm not here to advertise it ;) I just wanted to ask about the possibility of porting UFO2k to this handheld. I'm going to buy it next week, and X-COM and UFO2000 would be one of the most desired games to play (along with ADOM, but it's closed source :/)

Serge, will you look into it ;) ?

UFO2000 is being ported to Nokia 770. Actually performance/memory wise it works already acceptable and only packaging and some last final touches are required.

Considering that GP2X has the same amount of RAM and pretty much the same core CPU, there would not be any performance problems on GP2X. Also UFO2000 works on ARM CPU as tested on Nokia 770 and should not have any unexpected bugs on GP2X as well.

Now about the bad things. GP2X has only 320x240 screen, it is enough for X-COM, but not enough for UFO2000 without major user interface changes. Much worse is the absence of touchscreen and as X-COM and UFO2000 are heavily mouse dependent, it is a major problem. Also GP2X does not seem to have wifi support or any other kind of networking and UFO2000 is primarily a network game (with some plans to add single player mode too, but I would not recommend you to expect it to happen soon).

So Nokia 770 has a much better hardware (high resolution 800x480 touchscreen, 250MHz CPU, 64MB RAM, wifi and bluetooth) for a network turn based game such as UFO2000. It is not very good for playing real time games (tried Doom) as controls are not very suited for that.

And now the most important, I do have Nokia 770 but don't have GP2X myself, so we only can wait for someone else to start porting the game to GP2X. It is easier now as most of the problems were resolved while making Nokia 770 port though.

Here is a photo with both Nokia 770 and GP2X: http://www.flickr.com/photos/miker/85767260/

Edited by Serge