XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Additional Handling Options For Items

Robo Dojo 58

I have a few ideas regarding the handling of weapons.

Pass- you have an agent holding some heavy ammo, weapons, etc. He hands them over, or throws them to another agent. The receiving agent needs a free hand, two for heavy things/long distance passing, and some spare TUs to catch. It would change the "drop/throw and have another agent pickup" routine.

Blunt/Punch- I have an old X-COM manual, the option was called "Hit"(You can shoot, or you can hit :huh:). Basically you hit the target hard and swiftly, Halo style, with whatever's in your hand, (or with your hand) and you try to knock him out. The opponent loses a few TUs, taking time to recover, and has a reduced chance for reaction-fire. A good hit would have the chance of disarming your opponent. It would work great against a sectoid on the other side of a door, or etherials. Or if you just run out of ammo. :whatwhat:

Throw (at)- A combination of Pass, and Blunt. You throw an object(rock, empty pistol, etc.) and try to do as much damage as you can. Would be great for knocking out the weaker races-sectoids and etherials (floaters?)- and even hurt a little. This could be merged with pass, as an agent would automatically know what to do in such a situation.

Bash- Put all your strength into an item, and try to break whatever is in front of you. Handy for busting through shrubs, or weak drywall. Use a rocket launcher and try to break a Sectoid! :LOL: Don't try to bash a muton, and don't even think of denting a sectopod. :wink: A good hit will have a better chance of disarming your opponent, as well as reducing TUs (time to recover) and chance of reaction-fire. But you better suprize him, or get zapped in the process.

Break- You try to break the item. It does wonders for alien morale when you take his heavy plasma, and crush it with your power armor right in front of his very eyes.

A muton goes into a berserked rage, and plows through your troops...
One agent with an empty rocket launcher, and a dozen disarmed sectoids. Imagine the chaos... :D

Any comments or suggestions?

I think the passing thing would just make the game more complicated without any reason. Throwing and picking up items is working just fine. I agree that there should be an option for hitting alien with the weapon but I disagree about throwing. It would need an exact hit to the head to make a difference by throwing an alien with an item. And like that wouldn't be hard enough, those buggers have reactions too ^_^
Hitting them from behind would be nice though, I think..
"Bash" sounds like an good idea too..

[quote]It would need an exact hit to the head to make a difference by throwing an alien with an item.[/quote]
Not if it's a rocket launcher that you're throwing! "Throw at" would also have the chance of hitting the alien in the arm, disarming it. A hit in the legs could cripple it. A hit in the torso would injure it. Like I said before, you'd use it to disable the weaker races (sectoids and etherials?), making them easier to capture. The goal is to make the best use of a big and empty gun. You'd still need the stun launcher for the tougher races-mutons/sectopods.

[quote]Throwing and picking up items is working just fine.[/quote]
Since Xenocide is moving away from the tile-based landscape, with much larger areas, throwing items exactly at someone's feet will be much tougher. It's very difficult to throw anything through a window, or between two boxes, but an agent standing there could easily catch it. As a bonus, the "pickup routine" will already be done. The rookie that catches the item could get a TU discount, because he doesn't have to lean over and pick it up.

"Pass" and "Throw at" could easily be merged into a single "throw" command. Based on Friend or Foe, the cursor would show the extra options you get by aiming there. (arrow into hand, and arrow into head ^_^ ) A tutorial could teach that in less than 30 seconds.

And, as always, you can have an options menu to enable/disable the extra throw options by default.
I attached a pic showing the difference between the "Pickup routine" and "pass". Notice the happy and sad faces.
--Edit: the brown guy is passing to the green guy-- Edited by Robo Dojo 58