CTD - Plasma Principles

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So perhaps it would be best to just let this string die (as right now the entry reads reasonably well). But there are a couple points that I would like to make. Feel free to ignore them, though.

1) Regarding heat issues, we want this stuff to be hot, right? Then why limit yourself to having to dissipate heat? Keep the stuff isolated from its environment (magnetic levitation, anti-gravity technology, gyroscopes and selectable fields, hey, take your pick). Admittedly, we won't be able to put a vacuum in there, which would provide perfect insulation between the floating plasma ball and the weapon casing, but air will do reasonably well. Then you make the inside of the generation chamber out of a reflective material (at least, reflective in the frequency range that the plasma radiates energy at), so that radiant energy will be reflected back onto the plasma. Heck, you could put another shell outside that with a vacuum layer for even more insulation.

The problem with this is that it would still be something of a convection oven inside, but surely someone can figure out a way to get around that. Also any entry (barrel, ammo, etc) would have to be valved and/or heat sinked in order to avoid leaking heat everywhere.

2) Regarding superconductors, I'm glad that we dropped the superconducting heat sinks...it is important to know that electrical and thermal conductivity are, while often related, not the same thing. Also, there is some (read some) concern with wrapping superconductor around the barrel, since it is supposed to be impossible to change the magnetic flux through a superconductor...but then again they apply RF pulses to an MRI patient, so I guess there might be a way around that. I've seen a magnet levitate above a loop of superconductor though, so I'd be cautious.

3) Last mention...if you want to use magnetic properties (railgun effects, levitation, etc), we need to make sure that either Xenium in the form we use it (as ammo) has ferromagnetic properties, or just mix iron (nickel or cobalt would work, too) filings into that heavy water.

In case you wondered, I'm a third year electrical engineering student with a physics minor. Probably several of you have done enough research to know more about this highSF stuff than I do, but I have a reasonable grasp of the basics.

Again, feel free to ignore this, if anyone even sees it.

Kikanaide

Edited by Kikanaide

• 8 months later...

Hmm...

Digging up dead threads is fun...

Okay, I've been reading over the various revisions in the Heavy Plasma Rifle and and the Heavy Plasma Rifle Clip threads, I noticed that the Heavy Plasma Rifle uses a "solid shaped Xenium Charge", while the Clip has "a gel-like mixture containing highly fractured Xenium"...

While the Clip follows the original Plasma Weapon CTD more accurately, I have to admit that I think the "Two Tanks with Liquid Stuff Inside" is a very clunky, not suited for combat stiuation design...

Personally, I would very much like to go for a simple clip design as opposed to the current liquid Xenium thingy CTD we currently have. Unfortunately, I believe that this would required a overhaul of most plasma weapon models... (Although I think some of them need it very much) as well as CTDs...

Given how most of the Plasma stuff CTDs are still in the active thread, as well as the fact that most of the Plasma stuff models seem to have disappeared from the threads in the workshop, I would like very much for a chance to Stalinize the Plasma entries.

As it is, if I finish the rewrite of the flying suit CTD, I think I might go ahead and work out a couple of alternative plasma CTDs...

I don't see how you would be able to simplify the design.

And i dont see a problem with the current design

two small high pressure tanks, protected by a outer alien alloy shell.

its like taking two spraycans with tape. and putting them in a small, tight fitting box. scale that down to clip size, and you have you plasma weapon clips.

I don't see how you would be able to simplify the design.

And i dont see a problem with the current design

two small high pressure tanks, protected by a outer alien alloy shell.

its like taking two spraycans with tape. and putting them in a small, tight fitting box. scale that down to clip size, and you have you plasma weapon clips.

Okay, that might work from a CTD standpoint, but have you seen the original models for the plasma weapons? ALL of them have two separate "clips". One for Xenium, another for some other thing that at the end of the day I just used for heavy water...

As it is, from a design standpoint, the original plasma weapon models had designs that were very inefficient for use in combat. Two SEPARATE clips that you'd have to reload separately sounds like a dangerous design for a firefight situation. I've lost count of the times I was killed in CounterStrike because I was reloading, and that's with the simple one clip design... Imagine how long it'd take a person to reload two clips and I sure as heck won't want to tote that weapon around...

Edited by tzuchan

what are you 2 talking about? It's just 1 single clip parted into 2, not 2 clips.

better take a good look at the weapon models then...

Plasma Rifle

Those were what I was basing the CTD off after all...

*edit*

BTW, you can't really see the second clip, but it's supposed to mirror the oviod shaped thingy with the tube going to the back of the gun.

That ovoid thingy is one of two clips I was talking about.

Edited by tzuchan

strange design, if those things are the clip.

I immediately thought the forward handle was the clip.

Same here. I'd have to say asthetically it looks nice but the design is well, not "practical" (those are the nicest words to describe it). Sure, aliens would have to tech to develop "nicer" looking weapons but I don't thing they'd go out on a limb and design a weapon that is at best cumbersome. Maybe we should go for a more conventional design.

Edit: Here's a little something I drew up. Sure, it looks like crap but at least it shows all the needed parts and keeps the "double" clips. Note: W stands for the heavy water or whatever we are using and X stands for Xenium (if you didn't know already). It's pretty simple, all you have to do is just push the clip in to the little slot/feed/thing and you're ready to go. Though I seem to have drawn it a little big you could reduce the size.

Plasma_Rifle.jpg

Edited by Hailfire22

Hmm...

On second thought, I better not mess around with this CT, cause then everyone who's worked on previous plasma Cts and proofread the current work would come tzuchan hunting...

But nevertheless, I do agree that someone should talk with the art guys and maybe the senior members over the current weapon models...

Hey, just a heads up, but I'm pretty sure that the pic you linked to was an outdated picture. I could be wrong, but I believe that there is a thread that shows all the "completed" art items, and that's not one of them. It's a hold over from long ago...

A time I like to call "before-time", sometimes called "pre-time", when chupacabras roamed the earth as the protectors of their masters, the Old one's, treasure. which brings me to an interesting point when my future self brought a piece of time pie back for me, but I couldn't eat it because the ingredients hadn't been invented yet. So I had to create the ingriedients. Here's a chart that shows you how you can create you own time pie.... If we light ourselves on fire, we can go anywhere!

Sorry... [adult swim] flashback. :blink: Kudos to anyone who get's the reference.

Hey, just a heads up, but I'm pretty sure that the pic you linked to was an outdated picture. I could be wrong, but I believe that there is a thread that shows all the "completed" art items, and that's not one of them. It's a hold over from long ago...

A time I like to call "before-time", sometimes called "pre-time", when chupacabras roamed the earth as the protectors of their masters, the Old one's, treasure. which brings me to an interesting point when my future self brought a piece of time pie back for me, but I couldn't eat it because the ingredients hadn't been invented yet. So I had to create the ingriedients. Here's a chart that shows you how you can create you own time pie.... If we light ourselves on fire, we can go anywhere!

Sorry... [adult swim] flashback.  :blink: Kudos to anyone who get's the reference.

Can't think of it. I'd want to say Space Ghost or one of his lackies (Brak is another good guess).

Stormy from Sealab 2021.

It's from "Isle de la Chupacabra", an episode from the new season.

Tornado Shanks: Besides Chupacabaras, Super Happy Fun Time Island is home to the highest concentration of deadly tree cobras in the world.

Quinn: Super Happy Fun Time island?! Who the heck named this place?

(Long Pause)

Tornado Shanks: Rambo.

:innocent: I'm pretty sure thats the picture we're using, but doesn't it look more like a very small battery thing that gives off teh EM rays to fire the gun? You do not need to reload it, so why bother trying to reload this thing

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :Rant:

the way the guns work is:

the dueterium and xenium mix

the EM waves cause the xenium to explode, heating teh deuterium to plasma

the plasma tehn is ejected out of the gun

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!  :Rant:

Ok, sorry. I mis-read it. Sounded like you were saying the rays were BEING fired out the gun. You know it's almost 11:00 P.M. where I'm at and I've been up for awhile now (I you doubt me check the times of my posts).

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!  :Rant:

Ok, sorry. I mis-read it. Sounded like you were saying the rays were BEING fired out the gun. You know it's almost 11:00 P.M. where I'm at and I've been up for awhile now (I you doubt me check the times of my posts).

This is turning fun just to watch... LOL

• 1 month later...

It's time I get to know plasma weaponry :), also it makes me nervous to have plasma weapons complete when the theory behind its functionality is still active... time to have it complete? :naughty:

I'll use Astyanax's System :D, orange for deletions, red for addition, blue for comments, and my own green for general comments on the paragraph, they are all suggestions as always, so you may choose to ignore changes I suggest. Gramatical and spelling mistakes are just corrected in red.

[PLASMA WEAPONS]

X-Net://Perseus.Net/Alien/Weapons/[Plasma Weapons]

While plasma-based weaponry has been a staple in science fiction, the obstacles involved in reaction containment and sustainment could only be overcome with the advanced and great technical capabilities of a large facility entirely dedicated to this purpose, and even then only brieflyfor a short period of time. However, the arrival of the Aliens with their advanced weapons technology and new compounds materials caused led us to question our previous conclusions. With the study of all three types of portable plasma weapons weaponry recovered from the battlefield, together along with our detailed superficial it's superficial because the player may or may not have studied "Xenium-122", therefore the player does not have studied it in detail, superficially is the most the player might have studied it, not detailed enough to have an X-Net entry. analysis of the unique material, Xenium-122, that serves as their fuel and ammunition, we have finally discovered uncovered the theory behind the functionality of plasma weapons. We can now have the knowledge necessary to develop plasma weaponry of equal to or beyond greater firepower capability than that of the Alien invaders.

All three types of handheld I'm not sure if "handheld" applies to rifles, which you need two hands, does it? plasma weaponry used by the Aliens have several similarities. The heart of the plasma weapon consists of a "funnel" of superconductor magnets terminated with magneto dynamic prongs on one end, and a plasma-generationgenerating chamber at the other. Plasma generated in the chamber is forced through the magnetic funnel by a brief electromagnetic pulse. As the plasma passes through the funnel, it is compressed into a tight stream of particles. The magnetic prominences on the barrel then focus and accelerate the resultant plasma into tight bursts.

Another integral part of plasma weapon design is the its high-efficiency heatsink. Formed Made of a variation of the ceramic compounds found in the alien alloy Alien Composites, this component acts as an this advanced heat sink exceeds anything we could ever make in what refers to heat tolerance or is it heat dissipation?. Without it, it is likely the heat generated by the plasma would have killed produce to the user as well as the target terrible burns which would most likely cause death. It is unlikely that the weapon itself would survive without it support the heat for even a few seconds without melting. The heat sink draws the heat generated by the plasma burst from the barrel into to a heat dissipater located along the edges of the magneto dynamic prongs, which. This also contains and disperses the powerful electromagnetic fields generated when firing the weapon.

The energy requirements to generate an electromagnetic pulse strong enough to force the plasma into through the magnectic funnel would have been prohibitively high if it were it was not for the unique interaction of between the plasma and the magnetic field of the barrel. As the plasma passes through the magnetic containment fields, it forces the magnetic field to shift away from the plasma it. Using this effect, enough power can be generated to fire the next beam simply by wrapping series of superconducting alloys along the magnetic funnel.

During our research into the invaders' captured weapons, it has been noted that they have two ammunition containers, one containing a simple Deuterium Dioxide solution, better know as heavy water. The other, however, contains a unique gel-like compound. Further testing on this unique material substance material makes me think of something solid revealed that it is a compound manufactured derivated from Xenium-122. When Xenium-122 crystals are exposed to X-ray laser, it they fractures into a fine powder. When the resulting powder is combined with uranium, iron and carbon, the resulting mixture turns into a gel-like state.

What makes this compound unique is the fact that it has all of the attributes of plasma, yet is stable enough to be stored for long periods of time heat is an attribute, the gel is not hot, I believe, is it? If plasma's heat is an attribute, then the gel doesn't have all the attributes of plasma.. However, when this "Plasma-gel" is mixed with heavy water, it starts a high-energy reaction, causing the Plasma-gel to convert itself into high-energy plasma. The ability to replicate Plasma-gel has proven to be vital in the creation of portable Alien plasma weapons.

As a result of our research into Xenium-122 and its relationship with plasma physics, Xenium-122 is not a required topic for this We have discovered a potential method of plasma generation that might be even more efficient than that of the Alien invaders. We must learn as much as we can before this extraterrestrial menace discovers our location.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM THE DESK OF

Dr. Samuel Marshall

Xenium required for plasma conversion of 0.05 mL heavy water: 0.013 g.

Xenium required for plasma conversion of 3.03 g scrap steel: 0.829 g.

Xenium required for plasma conversion of 1.44 kg scrap wood: 4.38 g.

Xenium required for plasma conversion of light bulb: 0.274 g.

Xenium required for plasma conversion of desk lamp: 5.98 g.

Xenium required for plasma conversion of mouse trap and carcass: 0.739 g.

Edited by Azrael

have we nailed down when are we supposed to be able to research plasma weapons systems yet?

IIRC, in the original, you had to at least research two of the plasma weapons, and their respective ammo clips, in order to get this topic. Only after researching this topic then you could research plasma cannon...

My recomendation for this topic is that it requires all three alien plasma weapons and respective ammo clips to be researched, as well as xenium. Especially since plasma cannons enable the player to outrange all but one type of UFOs...

Weapons in the Tech Tree are going to be the exact same as X-Com 1 as weaponry is an issue that affects gameplay. I thought you needed all three weapons and respective clips to get "plasma weapons" in X-Com1...

Like I said, "IIRC"...

I know for certain that you at least need two weapons and their respective clips researched. We can (and should) make it necesary to research all three plus ammo and xenium...

I have asked NKF how it was in X-Com 1 as I don't remember. We won't modify the Tech Tree in things that affect gameplay as we don't know how they will affect balance, and Red Knight said that we don't toy with that.

In XCOM2, you needed all 3 weps. I kinda liked that system, makes the craft weapons harder to get.

In XCOM1 you only needed to research one. That would be heavy plasma, havn't tried to research the others first.

Edited by mikker

According to NKF, you can get the plasma cannon right after you research the plasma rifle + plasma rifle clip, or the heavy plasma + heavy plasma clip. Also, this entry does not exist in X-Com 1, so I think it's going to be an extra that pops when you research them both, no research needed.

I'd like better to have them all three needed as well, but we've been told not to meddle with that.

Edited by Azrael

:blink: I know that there's a research topic for that, it's just that you don't get a CT entry and the plasma cannon research topic pops up.

*edit* Same thing with Laser Weapons. There's a research topic, but no CT entry for it.

Edited by tzuchan

actually, there IS no research topic - once you research the plasma weapons, you jump right over to the cannon.

Ok then, there is a research topic but cannon pops. It's the same, we cannot change it to need all three weapons, despite we all would prefer that way. For now at least, I'll ask Red Knight about this later. :)

:Brickwall: :Brickwall: :Brickwall: :Brickwall: :Brickwall: :Brickwall:

There is, I repeat, THERE IS a research topic called PLASMA WEAPONS that appears according to the conditions specified by NKF... HOWEVER you don't get an UFOpedia entry after you've completed the research... The PLASMA CANNON research topic pop ups after you finish researching that topic.

actually, there IS no research topic - once you research the plasma weapons, you jump right over to the cannon.

Ok then, there is a research topic but cannon pops. It's the same, we cannot change it to need all three weapons, despite we all would prefer that way. For now at least, I'll ask Red Knight about this later. :)

There is, I repeat, THERE IS a research topic called PLASMA WEAPONS that appears according to the conditions specified by NKF... HOWEVER you don't get an UFOpedia entry after you've completed the research... The PLASMA CANNON research topic pop ups after you finish researching that topic.

That's what I said :)

*waves back*

If I recall correctly, it was a black box...just a place we could wave magic wand at and say, "This is where the Xenium-based ammo turns into plasma to fire at BEMs." Anything else about it was just technobabble about the qualities of Xenium to do this sort of stunt.

-The Captain

*waves back*

If I recall correctly, it was a black box...just a place we could wave magic wand at and say, "This is where the Xenium-based ammo turns into plasma to fire at BEMs."  Anything else about it was just technobabble about the qualities of Xenium to do this sort of stunt.

-The Captain

Ok, but maybe just a short mention of it, not much explanation or technobabble, just "it's this and does this", doesn't matter much how especifically, not too much details.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about one of the main issues I had with plasma technology: the fact that such weapons would require magnetic containment far beyond the likes of which we have today.

Then it hit me, why not modify the plasma weapons systems CT (I know, it's a radical idea) with a few lines saying something like, "One unusual aspect of plasma weapon technology is that the energy generated from the mixing of the reactants also provides the energy for its magnetic containment as well as the plasma's magnetic propulsion. Though this technology could have numerous potential applications in the field of nuclear physics, we only possess adequate facilities to mimic these devices, not develop new designs. Considering the nuclear risks involved with experimenting this technology, we highly recommend that such experiments be conducted in remote locations."

That way, we can 1.) Address the strength of the magnetic containment- the initial plasma reaction can still be "primed" by a magnetic pulse powered from another source, and 2.) Address why the magnetic containment technology isn't applied to nuclear devices in the game. Admittedly, point 2 is less critical than point 1, but I'd thought I'd give you folks a two-for-one deal. :P

What do you guys think?

Edit- While I'm brainstorming, how about this idea as well: a line or two mentioning that "Attempts to use the improper clips in plasma weaponry could be catastrophic. Fortunately, a failsafe device within the weapon ejects improper mixtures, but the user is liable to be irradiated by the contents..."

A bit far-fetched, but I thought there should be a note mentioning that the weapons can only be powered by their own respective clips.

Edited by Astyanax

I was thinking about one of the main issues I had with plasma technology: the fact that such weapons would require magnetic containment far beyond the likes of which we have today.

Then it hit me, why not modify the plasma weapons systems CT (I know, it's a radical idea) with a few lines saying something like, "One unusual aspect of plasma weapon technology is that the energy generated from the mixing of the reactants also provides the energy for its magnetic containment as well as the plasma's magnetic propulsion.  Though this technology could have numerous potential applications in the field of nuclear physics, we only possess adequate facilities to mimic these devices, not develop new designs.  Considering the nuclear risks involved with experimenting this technology, we highly recommend that such experiments be conducted in remote locations."

That way, we can 1.) Address the strength of the magnetic containment- the initial plasma reaction can still be "primed" by a magnetic pulse powered from another source, and 2.) Address why the magnetic containment technology isn't applied to nuclear devices in the game.  Admittedly, point 2 is less critical than point 1, but I'd thought I'd give you folks a two-for-one deal. :P

What do you guys think?

Edit- While I'm brainstorming, how about this idea as well: a line or two mentioning that "Attempts to use the improper clips in plasma weaponry could be catastrophic.  Fortunately, a failsafe device within the weapon ejects improper mixtures, but the user is liable to be irradiated by the contents..."

A bit far-fetched, but I thought there should be a note mentioning that the weapons can only be powered by their own respective clips.

/me Grins...

I thought of that too, hence this paragraph:

The energy requirements to generate an electromagnetic pulse strong enough to force the plasma into through the magnectic funnel would have been prohibitively high if it were it was not for the unique interaction of between the plasma and the magnetic field of the barrel. As the plasma passes through the magnetic containment fields, it forces the magnetic field to shift away from the plasma it. Using this effect, enough power can be generated to fire the next beam simply by wrapping series of superconducting alloys along the magnetic funnel.

Hehe, great minds think alike? :D

But the way I read it in the CT, the magnetic containment is already in effect, and extra energy would be needed to force the plasma through the magnetic funnel were it not for the "unique interaction". To be honest, I don't completely understand the significance of the superconducting alloys along the barrel. Perhaps you could explain it to me? :P

In my recent post, I envisioned that the magnetic containment doesn't exist until the Xenium reaction starts. When the Xenium explodes (see the plasma rifle clip CT- it has a fairly detailed explanation of the plasma generation reaction), the energy released starts the magnetic containment as well as initiates the fusion reaction.

I'm obviously a bit biased in favor of the idea that I understand, but when I understand both, I'll be forced to judge each on their merits. :)

Anyway, this brings me to another consistency point. After going through the plasma rifle clip CT, I felt that its explanation of plasma generation was more in depth; perhaps some of it could be adopted in this CT?

Bwah...

It's been so long since I last truly read that piece of work that I had to re-read it just to answer Asty's question...

Anyway, the inside the barrel is a series of super-conducting magnets(I seem to recall someone saying somewhere that if we can create a superconducting magnet, it would theoritically be stronger than normal magnets...) Hence, there's a permant magnetic containment in the weapon. However, plasma is launched out of the weapon by another magnetic field which is generated when the plasma is generated.

Early drafts had the xenium being converted by particle bombardment, and was later replaced by EM waves as particle accelerators could not fit in to the design...

*Edit* Some Typos... Bwah, thin side indeed...

Edited by tzuchan

Thanks for the explanation, tzuchan.

Hm, in either case, doesn't that mean that the user would be ill-advised to wear metal while operating plasma weaponry? :D

About superconductors... aren't they (currently) only found at extraordinarily low temperatures?

Guest Azrael
Well, I don't have any comments, besides those I already made, and some corrections that can be made in proofreading, are there any major issues that have to be attended or should we consider this text complete?, this has been here for too long already and all our comments seem like minor things to me :) *mouse cursor hovers over "move" option*