XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Website Updated

nachtwolf

Hey everyone, this might come to all of you as a surprise but some staff members have been secretly conspiring on this for a while now.

The UFO2000 website has been completely redesigned and is now online.

Take a look!

Stay tuned for new Beta release announcements, content updates as well as small improvements. Those will be much more likely on this website than the old one.

Edited by nachtwolf

The UFO2000 website has been completely redesigned and is now online.

Take a look!

Great, the new site looks very nice. The only thing that I have noticed at the moment is that the official irc server (#ufo2000 at irc.freenode.net which we have been using for ages) seems to be hijacked and replaced with a new one (irc.quakenet.org).

Hey all, thanks for the comments.

Serge, I switched the text back to the old IRC server.

I had changed it after I saw activity over quakenet in the #ufo2000 channel, but none on freenode (quite a few times).

I updated the news about compatibility.

I will change the behavior of the video once I have some time to do it.

we started a channel on the quakenet servers for a few reasons.

1) we were already there and use it for other channels

2) it's probably the most modern and best maintained/supported worldwide irc server network going right now.

3) games related, ufo2k is an (amazing) game.

:)

we've registered the channel as well... for permanency purposes

Serge, I switched the text back to the old IRC server.

I had changed it after I saw activity over quakenet in the #ufo2000 channel, but none on freenode (quite a few times).

we've seen you pop into #ufo2000 on quakenet a couple times nachtwolf...

however you always take off just mere minutes before I've noticed. Though once I was in mid-sentence.

chill with us longer... we don't bite :D

Edited by Kratos

Yeah really good amazing work mate! ;) I've heard some strange music and never understood what's happened until i've reached the right tab on my firefox browser! :Cucumber:

In other words.. a strong injection of life for UFO2000 and his community! And now give us a new stable version please devs! :dustycouch:

Acaro

@meodai: hi dude! how are u? :P

Guest Azrael Strife
Yeah really good amazing work mate! ;) I've heard some strange music and never understood what's happened until i've reached the right tab on my firefox browser! :Cucumber:

In other words.. a strong injection of life for UFO2000 and his community! And now give us a new stable version please devs! :dustycouch:

Acaro

I believe we are mostly waiting for documentation update, should be ready as soon as I'm finished compiling a new manual.

Acaro

I believe we are mostly waiting for documentation update, should be ready as soon as I'm finished compiling a new manual.

Surely "As soon as Blood Angel's finished compiling a new manual" ?

Or has my head been gone over completely on this?

Guest Azrael Strife

Acaro

I'm sorry, I did not know you were working on this, your last post prior to Kratos pinning of the topic was on March 1st, we're in late August.

I would enjoy having a stable release before next year, so tell you what, if you're still planning on working on the manual, get on it (it's not that hard for a seasoned player), if you complete it you let us know, but I don't plan on keeping waiting for too long, UFO2000 has been sleeping for a bit and I feel it's a shame, since it's the only X-Com project that has actually gone anywhere (bar UFO: Alien Invasion who seem to have waken up) and has the chance to go somewhere too.

(and if you are still going to work on this, please just work on the manual, I've already updated most of the other files with the latest programming info, repositories, etc)

Acaro

I'm sorry, I did not know you were working on this, your last post prior to Kratos pinning of the topic was on March 1st, we're in late August.

I would enjoy having a stable release before next year, so tell you what, if you're still planning on working on the manual, get on it (it's not that hard for a seasoned player), if you complete it you let us know, but I don't plan on keeping waiting for too long, UFO2000 has been sleeping for a bit and I feel it's a shame, since it's the only X-Com project that has actually gone anywhere (bar UFO: Alien Invasion who seem to have waken up) and has the chance to go somewhere too.

(and if you are still going to work on this, please just work on the manual, I've already updated most of the other files with the latest programming info, repositories, etc)

Well I have been having a few teething problems technologically and in real life, but I should be able to start reading and writing it soon. End of the year shouldn't be a problem at all, I should have it done much sooner than that. Thanks.

A slight critique on the website: My brother was looking for this game. The first place he looked was the first result on Google, which was the main site. However, he skipped over it pretty fast, because in big letters on the page, it said "Gameplay demo", and he was looking for the full version. He ended up downloading some way-old version from another site.

The suggestion, then, is to avoid the word "demo". "Gameplay video" would probably be better.

Other than that, it's a pretty nice site.

What site did he download from, and what version? I am not sure what you are talking about concerning the gameplay video. If he downloaded from http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net, it's not that it is a new version, but an updated site with the same beta we had for quite awhile.

You're misunderstanding me. The gameplay video being called a "gameplay demo" made him think your site only offered a demo of the game and not the full version, so he went on to another site to download it, and that site had a really old version. (three point something, I think). The point of my post was that calling it a demo instead of a video confuses some people.

Well I guess we could change it...but is it really that confusing? The site has more than enough project information that it could not be easily mistaken for a fan site. And game demos are more common in marketed software, and we are opensource, so demos are not common since we have to supply the source anyway. You could call us a demo, but that would be very mistaken since a demo is a preview and we are a full beta game. Edited by Kratos

Well I guess we could change it...but is it really that confusing?

Obviously it was confusing enough, it got him.

The site has more than enough project information that it could not be easily mistaken for a fan site.

All of which is in normal-sized text while 'UFO2000 GAMEPLAY DEMO' is written in huge letters.

And game demos are more common in marketed software, and we are opensource, so demos are not common since we have to supply the source anyway. You could call us a demo, but that would be very mistaken since a demo is a preview and we are a full beta game.

Nobody's calling you a demo.

Obviously it was confusing enough, it got him.

How old is he?

All of which is in normal-sized text while 'UFO2000 GAMEPLAY DEMO' is written in huge letters.

Then why not read on?

Nobody's calling you a demo.

I'm explaining to you why we can't be mistaken for a demo.

playstationman makes a valid point. Especially when you consider english is not everybodies first language, you can't expect everyone to visit the site and make that connection immediately. Taking a few minutes to read isn't really a good option when the average user spends less than 10 seconds at any given page. I know, I've linked the page to a few esl folks to direct them where to get the install package and they replied "this is just a demo". If it was a case where they had stumbled across the page on their own, they too may have ventured onward to the next site in line and acquired an outdated version.

User interface design should cater to as fool proof system as possible (no easy task) and be open to input from all sources. Wether this is worth changing at this point in time is the question.

It's still far more clear and straightforward than it was before, by leaps and bounds and enticing to new players.

Edited by Popek

Guest Azrael Strife
playstationman makes a valid point. Especially when you consider english is not everybodies first language, you can't expect everyone to visit the site and make that connection immediately. Taking a few minutes to read isn't really a good option when the average user spends less than 10 seconds at any given page. I know, I've linked the page to a few esl folks to direct them where to get the install package and they replied "this is just a demo". If it was a case where they had stumbled across the page on their own, they too may have ventured onward to the next site in line and acquired an outdated version.

User interface design should cater to as fool proof system as possible (no easy task) and be open to input from all sources. Wether this is worth changing at this point in time is the question.

It's still far more clear and straightforward than it was before, by leaps and bounds and enticing to new players.

To put it politely, it really isn't our responsibility if people don't bother taking a few minutes to read.

... now people need to have their hands held even when browsing...

I do agree various languages will be problematic, but this is english, they will not understand it well regardless of what it says if it's not a main language in their vocabulary.

How about we have some volunteers to translate the entire site in whatever language you speak, and upload a doc/txt file here and someone will get to it. We really could use something like that to be honest, since our game is already multi-lingual.

But again, that's reading.

Edited by Kratos

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently trained fool. :P

I have to agree on the video/demo point though the change already appears to have been made. Average people see "GAME" and "DEMO" and think "oh it's not the full thing" and just move on. That's why advertising focuses on getting it's point across as fast or as memorably as possible - be it an action packed videogame ad, or whatever. <_>

It now says "Gameplay video" and "Click to play".

If someone thinks it's a fansite about a video of UFO2000, I can't help further.

Edited by nachtwolf