XCOMUFO & Xenocide

The Holo Trainer....

I was thinking, maybe after you capture and research a alien entertiament, you should be able to research some sort of trainer.

I mean those thing would allow a soldier to fight in a trainning battle, which look as deadly as the real thing. It should slowly increase each stats of your soldier and/or allow you to have a battle with no threat of loss of live, and to test the new blaster launcher you just got :devillaugh:

Blast it, Facehugger! Always one peverted step ahead of me! :cussing:

Another cool enhancement to training, would be having extra live aliens to practice on. If you run out of alien containment room, why not have a little target practice? :)

The holo training idea is cool. I'd like to know what happens when an agent completely bombs training. Since it's so realistic, he may have to be in Psych for a few weeks.

"An' an' everything... blew up. They're all... everyone's all... I didn't mean to..." X-Corps agent who failed holo training. He's on extended shore leave.

I like the idea of the holo training after the research of alien entertainment. While playing Xcom for the fist time, I thought that would be the out come of researching alien entertainment and alien repoduction. The reproduction would allow the duplication of superior soldiers or a clone backup if he gets killed on mission.

• 5 months later...
I agree The training facility would be cool, and reasonnably practical to make, but it would have to be balanced, nothing beats field experience (but it's better than nothing for rookies in secondary bases...

XCOM agents cloning, on the other hand, would be a) unethical (what about the 99.9% of failed clones, some of them after puberty), B) impossible to research quickly (you're talking years of study here) and c) would take years to grow up a TWIN of someone (there's no quick growth of learning here... we're not the aliens, and nothing says a Sectoid is only a few days old...)
so, NO cloning IMO...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alex the greater
maby use VRsims for multiplayer hotseat play

also limit VRsim training to rookies cause nouthing beats reall experince
and you cant put somthing that you havent reasherched yet in a VRsim

Yeah, although it would not necessarily raise rookies to squaddies, the experience gained should only be equivalent to having one or two kills, and Squaddies would receive no further benefits...
It would be a good way to balance things out while still getting at least mildly usefull soldiers defending your secondary bases... I mean, can't they AT LEAST work out in a gym while they're not actively shooting aliens?? :huh:

• 3 months later...
Here is how VRtraining could work:

You control the battlefield(only ones you have been too).
You control the aliens present and ship present(only ones you have encountered).
Effects of weapons can only be accurately modeled if they have been used in combat.
Weapons equipped are controlled by you.

Soldiers using teh VR facility gain experience for days trained, not how they do in training missions.

Training missions are just a neat way to do quick battles with your current soldiers and try out strategies, although they might work differently in real life.

Interesting idea. I imagine the VR facility could actually wind up being what is essentially (from what I get from this anyway) an Instant Action mode of play. The only difference is with this, whatever skills could improve in the VR room carry over into the real missions you do.

Course, the other thing it has is the Instant in Instant Action. I know I've twiddled my thumbs from time to time waiting for UFOs to show up now and then. Might as well put your soldiers to some good use with this method. I also sort of view this as a reason perhaps to keep the really crummy rookies awhile. You know the type. The kind you wouldn't trust to watch your back on your detail, but you only kept at home. Used with Psi evaluation stuff, might be cool with regard to enchancing the screening process anyway.

I know with some of them, I probably wouldn't do anything with them, assuming I kept them on for some dumb reason. I'd probably keep them in combat training for quite a few months if this were in. Anyway, I like the idea too of loading various terrain and/or scednario maps you've done. Personally, I'd love to just be able to specify a terrain type on the fly to fight on and try it out that way.

Flat terrain, rocky terrain, hills, valleys, farm house/barns, jungle etc. Then UFO or Base type to storm, then opposition types to plug in. If nothing else, even if this idea wasn't used as far as using it to help grow soldier stats, it would still be one helluva cool idea to keep the Instant Action stuff.

Think about it, you could concievably add probably more units than the real scenario might have, tweak their abilities in that too, then go nuts. Even if it didn't have any affect on the campaign as a whole, I know I'd have a blast. Edited by Snakeman