XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Biological Research Room

Tsereve

Okay, I checked this one :blush1: , so this time I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done (unless in tht last 30 seconds).

A number of the recently captured UFO’s have contained a specialized room not seen in any alien craft thus far encountered by our troops. Each contains a precision cutter hanging over a large table. Based on the samples we have captured, our scientists have concluded that these rooms service as accurate medical devices.
The cutting device is based on a fine plasma beam with an intricate mind-to-machine(computer?) control panel, allowing the user to modify the strength of the plasma beam at will. This method of control also provides a way for the operator to specify the beam’s target up to .0004mm. Armed with this cutting tool, the user may conduct surgery on an organism, living or not, on an unsurpassed scale. To prevent the patient’s movement during operation, both voluntary and involuntary, the operating table includes dozens of minute holes along its edges. When the proper mental command is sent to the console, these pores release a bioengineered gas which functions as an ether, instantly sedating any organism in contact with it.
Although these findings may suggest that the aliens are vulnerable to illness, the truth is much more gruesome. It appears that the aliens abduct animals, such as cattle, and extract certain organs. What they do with these organs is currently unknown—they may use them as food, or to conduct research on Earth’s creatures. Perhaps there is an even more despicable purpose, one which the human mind cannot fathom on its own.
Now that we know what the aliens do to their captives, it has become even more imperative that we stop them at all costs. If this is what they are capable of now, it is unthinkable what they could accomplish if mankind were to submit to their rule of Earth. Only time will reveal the aliens’ master plan, but that is time that we do not have. These operations are happening on a daily basis, and more innocent creatures succumb to them each day. We must act quickly if we are to save our planet. The entire world depends on the X-Corps victory.

[quote]mind-to-machine(computer?)[/quote] = "Telepathic"?

As for the ending, I think by the time the player researches this he will already know that it is imperative that he save the planet :D so it seems kinda redundant and out of place putting that inspirational speech at the end of a random research report when the other ones don't have it.

Also, do we know WHICH ufo types have this facility?

I don't think the Aliens would use plasma for a surgery cutter, it is way to powerful to just use it as an scalpel, and Xenium122 is very valuable, even to the Aliens. I'd suggest having the cutters be laser, besides I find it more logical, it'd give the impression that plasma are that superior to laser that the Aliens use lasers for non-military things, it'd be like "Laser weapons!?, we use laser to cut our bread!" :Leek:

[quote]Although these findings may suggest that the aliens are vulnerable to illness, the truth is much more gruesome. It appears that the aliens abduct animals, such as cattle, and extract certain organs[/quote]

Maybe could be rewritten as "Although these findings suggest a need and willingness to provide medical attention to their ranks, there is strong evidence that that is not the case. It seems that in practice this machinery is used exclusively for the mutilation of humans, cattle, and other terrestrial organisms for research or possibly even as a source of nourishment."

Actually that combines some of the other sentences too, really I just think there could be a better way to describe the "illness" part.

Also, I agree with Azreal about the plasma thing.

Well, as far as we know, the aliens don't, and never had, laser tech. It could be said that the aliens took the same tech routes we did (obviously without armor, psi, etc), so they once had lasers, though. BTW, I know you were throwing out a random example, Azrael, when you said ". . .use lasers to cut our bread. . .", but they inject their food.

As to which UFO's have surgery. . .well, I'm not exactly an expert on Enemy Unknown. In fact, I only beat the game last week. So, I don't really know which ships do. Can any of you experienced guys help?

[quote name='Tsereve' date='Dec 17 2004, 07:34 PM']Well, as far as we know, the aliens don't, and never had, laser tech.  It could be said that the aliens took the same tech routes we did (obviously without armor, psi, etc), so they once had lasers, though.  BTW, I know you were throwing out a random example, Azrael, when you said ". . .use lasers to cut our bread. . .", but they inject their food.

As to which UFO's have surgery. . .well, I'm not exactly an expert on Enemy Unknown.  In fact, I only beat the game last week.  So, I don't really know which ships do.  Can any of you experienced guys help?
[right][post="102914"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

True, they wouldn't need to cut bread, but they would need to cut up people to put them into the little storage tanks :D Anyway, back on subject, it was the mutilators (don't know the name, but it's definately not the abductor) that had alien surgery. You could usually see the cow up on the table. Aliens must hate cows. A lot :KooKoo:

Version 2:

An analysis of the recently recovered Mutilator*-type UFO has revealed a new application of alien technology. Each craft houses a room containing a precision-burst laser cutter hanging over a large table. The tables appear similar to the operating tables used in our own hospitals, but on a much more advanced scale. With these resemblances, our scientists have concluded that these modules are for surgical purposes.

The cutting device is laser-based and controlled telepathically, allowing the user to fine-tune the ray up to .0004mm. It can be focused to almost any power or width at will, and will cause any created bodily fluids to evaporate without a trace. While it may seem unusual that the aliens would resort to primitive (from their perspective) laser tools, we may imagine the aliens’ technological advanced followed the same paths ours is. If this prediction is correct, the aliens once used laser weapons as often as we do. Apparently, they have considered this purpose too primitive for their more commonly used plasma tools. Regardless, this instrument could revolutionize the future of medical treatment—if we can survive this war.

The table is hooked up to a powerful electromagnet**, which keeps the patient immobilized while the cutting device is in use. Its pull holds the target’s protons in place, in turn controlling the entire molecule due to the high level of proton-electron interaction. Unfortunately, this device is too unwieldy to be used in combat***.

This apparatus does not appear to have any form of pain control, which leads us to believe that the aliens do not use it on their own kind. Instead, it seems that subsequent to the alien abductions that are becoming all too common, the aliens remove or add certain organs. Humans and animals alike are in danger of these strikes, as the aliens seem to abduct indiscriminately. What they do with these organs is thus far unknown. They may use them for academic purposes, chemistry, or even food. To unravel the answer, we must continue our research attempts. We must destroy these despicable creatures!

*new name for Abducter
**if Xenium is researched, then this is powered by it?
***delete this, maybe can be used as new stun bomb launcher?

[quote name='blehm' date='Dec 18 2004, 04:50 PM']perhaps the captive is held in place by psionic paralysis, that prevents him from controlling his body but still allows him to remain conscious.
[right][post="103097"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I think that sounds better. Common abduction stories have this and I think the original X-COM CT also used this.

I agree with blehm on this one, excellent suggestion.

The new name for the XCom Abducter is "Collector" so use that one.

Once again I think that the reports should sound more impartial and scientific and so shouldn't really display the comtempt for the aliens that the last sentence in this CTD does. I think it works much better if "We must destroy these despicable creatures!" is simply omitted.

[quote name='Qonfused' date='Dec 19 2004, 05:52 AM']"...The entire world depends on the X-Corps victory.""
Seems a little dramatic for a scientific report.
[right][post="103179"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Well I bet those poor lonely scientist need to exercise their humanity/emotions a little :)

Version 2.1

An analysis of the recently recovered Collector-type UFO has revealed a new application of alien technology. Each craft houses a room containing a precision-burst laser cutter hanging over a large table. The tables appear similar to the operating tables used in our own hospitals, but on a much more advanced scale. With these resemblances, our scientists have concluded that these modules are for surgical purposes.

The cutting device is laser-based and controlled telepathically, allowing the user to fine-tune the ray up to 4 micrometers. It can be focused to almost any power or width at will, and will cause any created bodily fluids to evaporate without a trace. While it may seem unusual that the aliens would resort to primitive (from their perspective) laser tools, we may imagine the aliens’ technological advanced followed the same paths ours is. If this prediction is correct, the aliens once used laser weapons as often as we do. Apparently, they have considered this purpose too primitive for their more commonly used plasma tools. Regardless, this instrument could revolutionize the future of medical treatment—if we can survive this war.

The table is hooked up to a powerful psionic projection device, enabling the aliens to render their victim immobile. However, the patient remains concious during its operation. That coupled with the fact that this apparatus does not appear to have any form of pain control has led us to believe that the aliens do not use it on their own kind. Instead, it seems that subsequent to the alien abductions that are becoming all too common, the aliens remove or add certain organs. Humans and animals alike are in danger of these strikes, as the aliens seem to abduct indiscriminately. What they do with these organs is thus far unknown. They may use them for academic purposes, chemistry, or even food. To unravel the answer, we must continue our research attempts. Edited by Tsereve

Looks pretty good thanks for implementing all our suggestions :Hug: , but .0004 mm probably should be converted to the actual corresponding smaller unit maybe? I think it might be micrometers.

So it would be like "4 micrometers", this sounds more technically impressive anyway.

Hope you guys don't mind, edited most recent version instead of posting again. I think this little symbol looks more scientific than saying micrometers, tell me your opinions.

if your talking about the
[color="green"]"allowing the user to fine-tune the ray up to 4µ." [/color]
id say delete/replace it. “mu” isn’t always used as a measurement of distance, and it might couse some confusion(it did in my case).

well it makes it look more authentic, how about a comprimise "4 [mu] (micrometers)" [mu] replaced with the actual symbol

The best of both worlds! :Hug:

Later Edit:

[quote]Doesn't have that ring to it. I'll just keep it like it is.[/quote]

Your call B) Edited by JakeDrake

No, thats not ok. "mu" is allso used to symbolise the particle called a "muon". And there allso might be more uses for the "mu" i dont know. Trust me, you will never see a symbol used that way in a scientific report(unless its pre. defined). So please replace it.
edit: woops, sorry then. Edited by Qonfused

[quote name='JakeDrake' date='Dec 19 2004, 07:28 PM']well it makes it look more authentic, how about a comprimise "4 [mu] (micrometers)"  [mu] replaced with the actual symbol

The best of both worlds!    :Hug:

Later Edit:

[quote]Doesn't have that ring to it. I'll just keep it like it is.[/quote]

Your call B)
[right][post="103358"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

We cannot comprise micrometers into "mu", it's a scientific report, we cannot change already established rules. If you want to use micrometers, you [b]have[/b] to use the mu symbol.

:innocent: All this trouble when you could just put something easier like "micrometers" or "microns" its so much easier, isn't it?

I personally prefer microns, as it is an extremely tiny measurement that sound cool. ;)

[quote name='Azrael' date='Dec 20 2004, 09:19 PM']...We cannot comprise micrometers into "mu", it's a scientific report, we cannot change already established rules. If you want to use micrometers, you [b]have[/b] to use the mu symbol.[/quote]
Isn’t that a we bit contradicting.

[quote name='Qonfused' date='Dec 20 2004, 06:17 PM'][quote name='Azrael' date='Dec 20 2004, 09:19 PM']...We cannot comprise micrometers into "mu", it's a scientific report, we cannot change already established rules. If you want to use micrometers, you [b]have[/b] to use the mu symbol.[/quote]
Isn’t that a we bit contradicting.
[right][post="103512"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

I don't see why, to say micrometers you cannot say "mu", you have to use the symbol that means "mu". Anyway, this is pointless, just leave it to milimeters, or as blehm said, micrometers, with letters and that's it.

[quote name='Tsereve' date='Dec 19 2004, 01:29 PM']The cutting device is laser-based and controlled telepathically, allowing the user to fine-tune the ray up to 4 micrometers. It can be focused to almost any power or width at will, and will cause any created bodily fluids to evaporate without a trace. While it may seem unusual that the aliens would resort to primitive (from their perspective) laser tools, [color="Green"]we may imagine the aliens’ technological advanced followed the same paths ours [color="red"]did[/color]. If this prediction is correct, the aliens once used laser weapons as often as we do.[/color] Apparently, they have considered this purpose too primitive for their more commonly used plasma tools. Regardless, this instrument could revolutionize the future of medical treatment—if we can survive this war.
[right][post="103246"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Ok, first off, does it matter if they followed the same tech path? I mean, there are trying to kill us all off, like we care how they developed their technological edge. Also, if humans are using laser weapons quite a bit as the CT points out (I know the game starts around 2015, but man-portable laser weapons are still aways off I think) then does the player get to start off with laser pistols/rifles?

[quote name='Qonfused' date='Dec 22 2004, 04:55 AM']They are not trying to kill us all, so this is acctually wrong.
[url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/ctassets/AlienOrigins.txt"]every one should read this one[/url]
Its a important one.
[right][post="103724"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Ok, ok, ok, I was wrong. But still, does it reeeeeaaaaalllllyyyy matter? They are still trying to kill/enslave/do bad things to us humans. If nuclear war broke out today, would it matter to most people how we got the nukes at vaporize whole cities?

[quote name='Qonfused' date='Dec 20 2004, 09:44 AM']No, thats not ok. "mu" is allso used to symbolise the particle called a "muon". And there allso might be more uses for the "mu" i dont know. Trust me, you will never see a symbol used that way in a scientific report(unless its pre. defined). So please replace it.
edit: woops, sorry then.
[right][post="103417"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Just a note: "μm" is official. In biology, people "love it" ;). 10^(-6) is actually the cell level (virus level usually is nm). In physics, we are either using large scales (meters ,km, parcecs etc), the "widely-used" mm, and then you go to the "quantum scale", that's just TOO LOW...
And, muons have nothing to do with surgery in my opinion... :wink1:

Keep up the good work guys =b :wave:

[quote name='kafros' date='Dec 22 2004, 03:46 PM'][quote name='Qonfused' date='Dec 20 2004, 09:44 AM']No, thats not ok. "mu" is allso used to symbolise the particle called a "muon". And there allso might be more uses for the "mu" i dont know. Trust me, you will never see a symbol used that way in a scientific report(unless its pre. defined). So please replace it.
edit: woops, sorry then.
[right][post="103417"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Just a note: "μm" is official. In biology, people "love it" ;). 10^(-6) is actually the cell level (virus level usually is nm). In physics, we are either using large scales (meters ,km, parcecs etc), the "widely-used" mm, and then you go to the "quantum scale", that's just TOO LOW...
And, muons have nothing to do with surgery in my opinion... :wink1:

Keep up the good work guys =b :wave:
[right][post="103748"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
"μm" is different from "μ", one is used to describe the length unit of 10^(-6)m. the other is the 12 letter in the greek alpabeth, used both as the number 10^(-6), and as the particle called a "muon". Edited by Qonfused

[quote name='Tsereve' date='Dec 26 2004, 03:11 AM']Okay, a lot of your posts seem to contradict themselves. . .is it okay for me to just leave it as it currently is?
[right][post="104354"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Who are you talking to? And you should giva atleast one eks. of contradiction. Edited by Qonfused

• 7 months later...

I was looking at the UFOpaedia entries for Alien Surgery and Examination Room at the handy-dandy XCOMUFO site (I've quoted them below). From the text snippets, it appears that, Alien Surgery ("Alien Medical Room" for us) is associated with Alien Harvest missions (cattle and animals) and the Examination Room ("Biological Research Room" for us) with Alien Abduction missions (humans).

Does anyone know whether Alien Surgery is found exclusively on Harvest UFOs and Examination Rooms on Abductor UFOs? Depending on the answer, mentions of humans in this text may need to be removed.

Alien Surgery

This surgical equipment uses laser cutters to extract certain body parts from cattle and other animals.  The widespread cattle mutilations can be accounted for by this bizarre alien activity.  It is likely that these parts are used for nutritional or genetic purposes.

Examination Room

In the past, many thousands of people have claimed to have been abducted by aliens, sometimes repeatedly.  The truth is far more horrific.  Humans are abducted, researched and monitored.  The best specimens have genetic material extracted.  Women have human-alien hybrid foetuses implanted, and then removed several months later.  Who knows what sinister motives the aliens have?

Guest Azrael
Please note that the name of this text was changed from "Medical Room" to "Biological Research Room", the other one has been changed correspondly, since it makes more sense this way.

That's the latest version, grab it :D (applied some spelling/grammar corrections, added the header, and made it up a little)

X-Net://Pegasus.Net/Alien/UFO Components/Biological Research Room

An analysis of the recently recovered Collector UFO has revealed a new application of alien technology. Each craft houses a room containing a precision-burst laser cutter hanging over a large table. The tables appear similar to the operating tables used in our own hospitals, but on a much more advanced scale. With these resemblances, our scientists have concluded that these modules are for surgical purposes.

The cutting device is laser-based and controlled telepathically, allowing the user to fine-tune the ray up to 4 micrometers. It can be focused to almost any power or width at will, and will cause any created bodily fluids to evaporate without a trace. While it may seem unusual that the aliens would resort to primitive (from their perspective) laser tools, we may imagine the aliens’ technological advanced followed the same paths ours is. If this prediction is correct, the aliens once used laser weapons as often as we do. Apparently, they have considered this purpose too primitive for their more commonly used plasma tools. Regardless, this instrument could revolutionize the future of medical treatment -if we can survive this war.

The table is hooked up to a powerful psionic projection device, enabling the aliens to render their victim immobile.  However, the patient remains conscious during its operation.  That coupled with the fact that this apparatus does not appear to have any form of pain control has led us to believe that the aliens do not use it on their own kind. Instead, it seems that subsequent to the alien abductions that are becoming all too common, the aliens remove or add certain organs. Humans and animals alike are in danger of these strikes, as the aliens seem to abduct indiscriminately. What they do with these organs is thus far unknown. They may use them for academic purposes, chemistry, or even food. To unravel the answer, we must continue our research attempts.

• 2 weeks later...

made some suggestions... denoted purple :) because I am too lazy to use the three-color-system.

An analysis of the recently recovered Collector UFO has revealed a new application of alien technology. Each craft houses a room containing a precision-burst laser cutter hanging With these resemblances, our scientists have concluded that these modules are for surgical purposes.

The cutting device is laser-based and controlled telepathically , allowing the user to fine-tune the ray up to 4 micrometers. It can be focused to almost any power or width at will, and will cause any created . Apparently, they have considered this purpose too primitive for their more commonly used plasma tools. Regardless, this instrument could revolutionize the future of medical treatment -if we can survive this war.

The table is hooked up to a powerful psionic projection device , enabling the aliens to render their victim immobile. However, the patient

Edited by Moriarty

now that I've looked again at both the alien medical room and the biological research room, I found something that was probably bothering me all the time, and at least added to my confusion: The following text is from the other room, but probably should be in this one:

The ceiling and floor of the room is formed of a biomimetic nanopolymer. When the alien's quarry is taken to the examination room, this substance extends pseudopods to restrain the victim's limbs. Most experiments are conducted then, with no anesthesia or further restraints.

(note that I changed "arms and legs" to "limbs" in order to allow dissection of quadrupeds :D )

Edited by Moriarty

BIOLOGICAL RESEARCH ROOM

An analysis of the recently recovered Collector UFO has revealed a new application of Alien technology. A new kind of UFO Component was found, and it’s purpose is clearly that of an operating theatre.

The room contains a precision laser cutter overhanging a large table. The operating table is formed of a biomimetic nanopolymer. When the Alien's quarry is taken to the room, this substance extends pseudopods to restrain the subject's limbs, thus effectively rendering it immobile while the subject remains conscious during its operation. Most experiments are conducted then, with no anesthesia or further restraints. That coupled with the fact that this apparatus does not appear to have any form of pain control has led us to believe that the Aliens do not use it on their own kind. Instead, it seems that subsequent to the Alien abductions that are becoming all too common, the Aliens remove or add certain organs. Humans and animals alike are in danger of these strikes, as the Aliens seem to abduct indiscriminately. What they do with these organs is thus far unknown. They may use them for academic purposes, chemistry, or even food.

The laser appears to be operated via the control console. Alas, it is quite simple, almost inadequate for critical surgical excisions. We suspect that the cutting device can be remotely controlled. Nevertheless, it allows the operator to fine-tune the ray up to 4 micrometers. It can be focused to almost any power or width at will, and will cause any exudated bodily fluids to evaporate without a trace. While it may seem unusual that the Aliens would resort to primitive (from their perspective) laser tools, we may imagine the Aliens’ technological advancement followed the same paths ours did. If this prediction is correct, the Aliens once used laser technology as often as we do. Apparently, they have considered this purpose too primitive for their more commonly used plasma tools. Regardless, this instrument could revolutionize the future of medical treatment - if we can survive this war.

. But, we could refine the “plasma” part…>

It's quite messy... I tried to organise it better, but it still needs a lot of work. I think it needs to be "geared" more in the "existing" mood of the project and the complete CTs. If I'm wrong, then please delete this and work with the previous draft

BIOLOGICAL RESEARCH ROOM

An analysis of a recently recovered UFO has revealed a new application of Alien technology. A new kind of room was found, and it’s purpose is clearly that of an operating theatre. Exactly what kind of "operations" are performed here is not entirely clear, but we have been able to make educated guesses based on the tools and materials found. To our best knowledge, large animals and even humans are brought into this room and surgically opened, followed by removal of tissue and at, least sometimes, whole organs. The containers we found in these rooms contained so much material that we think it is safe to assume that they are not used for research purposes alone. It is more likely a harvesting process, which is then probably followed by some kind of processing of the removed tissue and organs.

The room contains a precision laser cutter suspended over a large table. The operating table is formed of a biomimetic nanopolymer. When the Alien's quarry is taken to the room, this substance extends pseudopods to restrain the subject's limbs, thus effectively rendering it immobile while the subject remains conscious during its operation. Most experiments are conducted then, with no anesthesia or further restraints. That coupled with the fact that this apparatus does not appear to have any form of pain control has led us to believe that the Aliens do not use it on their own kind. Instead, it seems that subsequent to the Alien abductions that are becoming all too common, the Aliens remove or add certain organs. Humans and animals alike are in danger of these strikes, as the Aliens seem to abduct indiscriminately. What they do with these organs is thus far unknown. They may use them for academic purposes, chemistry, or even food.

The laser appears to be operated via the control console. Alas, it is quite simple, almost inadequate for critical surgical excisions. We suspect that the cutting device can be remotely controlled. Nevertheless, it allows the operator to fine-tune the ray up to 4 micrometers. It can be focused to almost any power or width at will, and will cause any exudated bodily fluids to evaporate without a trace. This instrument could revolutionize the future of medical treatment - if we can survive this war.

BIOLOGICAL RESEARCH ROOM

An analysis of a recently recovered UFO has revealed a new application of Alien technology. A new kind of room was found, and it’s purpose is clearly that of an operating theatre. The exact nature of the "operations" performed here is not entirely clear, but we have been able to make educated guesses based on the tools and materials found. To our best knowledge, large animals and even humans are brought into this room and surgically opened, followed by removal of tissue and at, least sometimes, whole organs. The containers we found in these rooms contained so much material that we think it is safe to assume that they are not used for research purposes alone. It is more likely a harvesting process, which is then probably followed by some kind of processing of the removed tissue and organs.

The room contains a precision laser cutter suspended over a large table. The operating table is formed of a biomimetic nanopolymer. When the Alien's quarry is taken to the room, this substance extends pseudopods to restrain the subject's limbs, thus effectively rendering it immobile while the subject remains conscious during its operation. Most experiments are conducted then, with no anesthesia or further restraints. That coupled with the fact that this apparatus does not appear to have any form of pain control has led us to believe that the Aliens do not use it on their own kind. Instead, it seems that subsequent to the Alien abductions that are becoming all too common, the Aliens remove or add certain organs. Humans and animals alike are in danger of these strikes, as the Aliens seem to abduct indiscriminately. What they do with these organs is thus far unknown. They may use them for academic purposes, chemistry, or even food.

The laser appears to be operated via the control console. Alas, it is quite simple, almost inadequate for critical surgical excisions. We suspect that the cutting device can be remotely controlled. Nevertheless, it allows the operator to fine-tune the ray up to 4 micrometers. It can be focused to almost any power or width at will, and will cause any exudated bodily fluids to evaporate without a trace.

This instrument could revolutionize the future of medical treatment - if we can survive this war.

Notice: I will analyze this CT later. Meanwhile, have fun with it! :)