XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Autoresolve And Mop Up

grey616

A lot of times later on in the game you are presented with simple missions such as when a lone alien fighter crashes deep in your territory or something similarly in your favor. Rather then taking the time to micromanage an entire mission only to have to get out of the ship, walk across the map, and kill three outnumbered and outgunned aliens, at the start of every mission there should be the autoresolve option. With this option, the computer will instantaneously play the mission for you and simply present you with the results. This should probably be done with some formula for calculating your odds of success based on number of units, equipment, etc and when you choose to autoresolve, the probability of success is shown and you can choose to accept or do the mission yourself. Similarly, when you are almost done with a mission and have cleared almost the entire map and just have to spend five minutes looking for the one hidden wounded alien, the mop up feature would come into play. Similar to the autoresolve feature, it would complete the mission for you with some probability of success. Of course to prevent saving and loading until a favorable outcome results, the seed used for random number generation should be saved with the game itself. This will have the added benefit of making saving and loading useless for the purpose of changing outcome of all random events.

It could be usefull... but then again it may make the game a bit of the "boring" side. I mean when i played Lords of Magic, most ppl would justuse de auto resolve button not having problems with the combat... combat is one the most emerging things about X-Com. Edited by Black Dash

The game would be boring if players chose to do a lot of other things, too, such as constantly reloading the battlescape. We don't really care what people will do. It is the player's choice whether or not to autoresolve and you must remember that autoresolve does not guarantee victory or that your commander won't die in the simulated battle, but when you get around to intercepting UFO-341, I don't think you'll be too keen on assaulting that small scout. At that point, in my opinion it would be a waste of time. You don't have to choose the autoresolve any more than you have to reload continuously.

Anyway, it is a feature of v1 that has already been decided :)

Good point.... :D

• 4 months later...
We hope to have a version of Scott Jones' autocombat system implemented into the game before we have a functional geoscape, so yes, we'll have an autoresolve feature.

That's great!!

I also do love the option in UFO: Aftermath, to delegate some missions to outside forces. Their success depends on how you were successful on such missions before ^_^

Considering the clutter of missions that you can sometimes have, it's a very interesting idea... Perhaps there would be no spoils of war for us if we were to do it this way, but it would get an annoying mission out of the way while we concentrate on more important issues...

-_-

Perhaps autoresolve outcome should assume really bad intelligence for player units, so that it isn't relied upon except in incredibly boring circumstances where you outnumber your opponents 26-6 and are equipped with blaster tech, psi amps, and all sorts of goodies? ;)