XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Alien Colony

Hello

How to find the colony? I patrol everything with Triton, but can't find anything and just waste fuel. :Brickwall:

What are X-com agents?

On my graphs I see alien activity in various zones, but where are these zones?

And how to patrol them most effectively?

:Help:

Watch for large subs landing for long periods in the middle of nowhere. They are most likely supply ships. Send a Barracuda to patrol a waypoint near where the sub set down and wait for a while. (Watch the point for a few ingame days... if at least two large subs set down in very close vicinity to one-another, there's -definitely- a base there.

X-COM Agents are your soldiers.

The zones are areas of the world such as America, Europe.

Bases with Sonar stations and Barracuda subs.

Edited by Exo2000

How to find the colony? I patrol everything with Triton, but can't find anything and just waste fuel. On my graphs I see alien activity in various zones, but where are these zones?

If you see the Alien activity score going slowly up, but no ship is there, then you know there's an alien base in that ocean.

If you're lucky to have a Transmission Resolver and a medium ship have "Alien Base Supply" mission then follow it with your Triton. A few hours are more than enough to patrol there to discover it, sometimes even just one hour.

Sometimes Aliens decide to construct a new base and you'll see landing (if you have radars around or if you have already send the Tritons there) two very large subs and a large sub. You might see also small ones, but those are optional. If you let them be, instead of shooting them down, patrol near them and the base will be constructed under your eyes in hours. Although I never resist the desire to shoot or assault so many ships. Which is the main reason I have more than one Triton :)

Edited by dan2

Sweet...

In K. Chang's manual there is written, that you can use your X-Com Agents, but don't rely on them. How to use them? Do you just send a triton filled up with

people?

Why is it so hard to spot a colony? I am playing a long time, but I didn't fight in artifact site and only once fought in a colony.

If there's written, that in Neo-Japan there's an alien activity, where will the colony be? Answers like "in the Neo-Japan zone, of course" are not my point.

What is the range(radius of land patrolled) of barracuda/triton/hammerhead/leviathan? If it is big, I will not have to patrol everything. Is it about 2 little squares, or maybe just one, or only the ship itself?

Which ship is the best for patrolling?

What is the range(radius of land patrolled) of barracuda/triton/hammerhead/leviathan? If it is big, I will not have to patrol everything. Is it about 2 little squares, or maybe just one, or only the ship itself?

Which ship is the best for patrolling?

Ships generally patrol in a small circle around them. Not too big, not too small. It's definitely not 1/2 pixels/squares, more like 7~10 squares, I'd estimate. Take in mind you may have to wait for a while.

Build radar bases in major countries if you have the money. E.G. a base with just an Access Life, a Hanger (Interceptor or Firestorm, depending on how far you are in the game; if you have a Firestorm, you'll need a General Stores for Elerium fuel), and a Long-Range Radar in the middle of Japan. Real good for downing UFOs in short notice.

How to find an artifact site? The same way?

artifact sites pop up with the warning "alien activity detected". Alien Colonies, now thats something else.

After looking at the charts over alien activity, you should send a sub (the troop carrier one should be better as it has more fuel capacity) to the destination, wait some hours, and if something pops up: gotcha. Else move arround and try again.

Base radar does not detect colonys.

• 4 years later...
How to find an artifact site? The same way?

Base radar does not detect colonys.

actually that is not true,

in xcom 1 it specifically states in the radar xcom facility in UFOpedia that the radar coordinates with satelites to look for ground objects, including enemy bases.

however, if you are depending on this to tell you where the alien bases are, chances are you're unfamiliar with the game & doing badly.

i don't know if the same holds true for xcom 2, but considering the overwhelming similarities between the two, i'd say it is likely.

whoever said use a barricuda to find bases... that's just silly, park a Triton in the general area & leave it there for 24 hours if you have to.

I believe the triton/skyranger radar range is roughly equivalent to a small sonar/radar station, centered on the ships location (if i'm not mistaken) i believe it says so in UFOpedia (also unless i'm crazy)

in fact

on Day 1 of a new game, within minutes of starting the game, i setup my research & troop equipment in the Triton & purchase new gear, yada yada yada,

but then my first official action on Geoscape is to launch my Triton/Skyranger & just have it patrol on top of my base, in effect doubling my radar converage for free.

it can hover there at least 48 hours i believe, and the Triton fuel is free... so don't concern yourself with "costs" of fuel... it only costs you refuelling time.

generally if i have a Triton/Ranger hovering on my base on day 1 there is always a "Very Small" UFO on day 1, but odds of you seeing it with 1 radar are about 5%

odds of seeing it with 2 radars seem to be more like 40% & it gives you potential to get early research in on sonic weapons (most likely pistol & pulser if you're really lucky)

*edit*

PS

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=T...ncy_.28Table.29

there is a table of radar range/effectiveness for Xcom 1 UFO

there is also a wonderful illustration of craft ranges (over africa)

i cannot readily find these statistics for TFTD, but i would assume they are identical in terms of range, Triton/Skyranger

Edited by Tiruas

actually that is not true,

in xcom 1 it specifically states in the radar xcom facility in UFOpedia that the radar coordinates with satelites to look for ground objects, including enemy bases.

however, if you are depending on this to tell you where the alien bases are, chances are you're unfamiliar with the game & doing badly.

i don't know if the same holds true for xcom 2, but considering the overwhelming similarities between the two, i'd say it is likely.

Actually, I think that what mikker said is technically true: only patrolling craft can detect alien bases/colonies. Yes, the in-game UFOPaedia says the small & large radar/sonar use satellites to search for ground targets but it doesn't specifically say what type of ground target. The way the game is programmed, your sonars can find landed USOs but colonies are another matter. I've had bases which were revealed to me at the end of a month which were well within my radar range which I never detected. So the only way you are going to find a colony/base is to look at your graphs, determine the area where the aliens were busy and send a craft to patrol nearby. Or you could let the X-COM operatives look for it, but that could take a while. ;)

- Zombie

I think some forum members did a bunch of tests, either on the Wiki radar discussions or its buried somewhere in the old UFO discussions.

Generally the findings were that your base detectors can only detect and track what's in the air and bases were only revealed via your craft patrols or if the game chooses to reveal the base to you after a long period of neglect.

Hmm, can't remember but I know your ships naturally track visible targets that were previously detected in their radar tracking range at all times, but are they able to do a radar ping while they're in transit to pick up new targets? I don't recall ever detecting a known alien base (via the supply ships) during a flyover.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

No, you cannot detect anything while flying for some reason. When you are patrolling (standing still, hovering in one spot) then your craft can detect. Don't know why this is, does the pilot need a visual? LOL

- Zombie

• 6 months later...