XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Art- Issue #26 -standardissue Battledress Uniform

Shinzon

I remember Vaaish giving me a link to the art department assests ( ROFL ); But since then I have lost it...

:(

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright; thanks alot; I found it... Updates coming soon

We are eager to look for them ;)... BTW dont waste time optimizing the model, concentrate on visual quality as there are automatic ways around to do it whose output is as briliant as handcrafted.

Greetings

Red Knight

Finished the quick unrawp; then its off to minimize stretching then off to texturing! Since this is a new map; I will make a new texture; but that doesn't mean I can't steal some of the old one. Nothing render worthy yet...

Edit: I wasn't able to update as fast as I wanted to; because since friday I was pretty much belly up on my bed untill today; watch yourselves out there some nasty flu is going around O.o

Edited by Shinzon

• 3 weeks later...

Need to whip myself into shape... Making this iteration more "Urban"

Update:

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5803/shirtnew001xv5.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

Though, what happened to the old texture? I mean, was there something wrong about it? I guess, what I want to say, could it be possible to have different X-Corps std. battledresses depending on the territory? Or would this maybe bewilder the player?

Guest Azrael Strife
Though, what happened to the old texture? I mean, was there something wrong about it? I guess, what I want to say, could it be possible to have different X-Corps std. battledresses depending on the territory? Or would this maybe bewilder the player?

To be honest, the old one was ugly, the face was messed up.

Guest Azrael Strife
I wouldn't say that. Ok, the face might've needed some more work (especially a texture... ;) ), but the rest was pretty nice.

The previous model I was talking about DID have a texture.

What you have looks good so far, but I'm more keen on a return to the olive and black scheme given that a good chunk of missions will not be urban. IIRC the only urban missions will be terror missions so urban camo as the standard scheme doesn't quite fit.

Guest Azrael Strife
Yeah, if we really wanted to down the road we could have different uniforms for different enviorments, but I am sure prog dept doesn't want to do that now. I do like the new look too though.

That should be very easily doable, I don't think david would have any objections to that once the time is right to do it :)

The new model's geometry is diffrent from the previous one; especialy the face :P

It was optimized a whole lot; and I didn't like the way I did the previous unrawp, when you compare the two new unrawps of the previous model and the new one; they are similar, but not enough to warrant a direct cut and paste...

The face on the previous one was more of a place holder; I don't know why I never actualy got to texture it proper...

As for the old texture; I am canabalizing it as much as I can; mostly re using patterns from it...

As for the actual color; don't worry about it; it can be changed in a second...

And yes, it is possible and VERY easy to do multiple re-textures of so we can have as many diffrent re-colors as the prog department requires. It can go as far as having some versions with an actual cammo pattern... So once the "Basic" texture is done, imagination is the limit...

and of course an update (Sorry image shack was down; so I will upload directly here):

Shirt_New_002.jpg

Hey we're the art dep, we are supposed to bug you Prog guys :P

And often its the other way around... ^_^

All the is diffrent is the texture, so no need changing the model...

I'm done with the color map; Ill go and make the bump and speculars now...

Semi Beauty render (Image shack back online :D):

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5922/shirtnew003be7.jpg

Guest Azrael Strife
Not meaning to be nasty or anything, but supporting multiple models for X-Corp soldiers is WAY down my priority list.

So far, in fact, that it isn't even on the list.

We know, just daydreaming :)

Loving the model, Shinzon.

Edited by Azrael Strife

All done...

Please tell me which files you will need, all textures are 1024 by 1024 with the PSD files at 13 MB each with the .PNG textures at 1.7 MB

I changed the model slightly so it will have to be updated as well...

Pretty Render:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2653/shirtnew004finalrx1.jpg

shinzon, I'll need the final render, max file, any source PSDs, and the final 512x512 png applied to the model for in game use. I can't see the final version over here so I can't comment on the image.

before we get too far into the discussion of animation, we need to know what the engine supports. Are we do simple animation stored only in vertex keyframes al la quake, or more complex skeletal based animation? Also will the engine support multiple rigs or do we need to limit things to a single humanoid rig?

Edited by Vaaish

Alright here is everything; the archive also contains some front and back renders with an alpha channel; so they can be pasted easily on the soldier equip screen...

The archive contains the MAX file, 1024x1024 source PSD's and 512x512 png's of the 3 maps (Spec, Bump, Color)

Gah max single upload 10.74 MB... too small need 9 more :P

I am going to send this to Vaaish via email; if anyone else wants the archive PM me...

I've looked over the files sent and I'm wondering if this is the final version. The texture needs more color than the gray version and the armor vest in the old model was much superior to this. The texture right now looks somewhat lacking in comparison.

EDIT: looking back, we seem to have lost the pockets on the vest and the extra pouches at the waist.

Edited by Vaaish

I disagree; it could be my own bias beacuse I spent a sizable amount of time staring at each at one point, but here is a comparison of the two; I did the best I could with the geometry left to me after the optimization...

And as for the actual color; it is irrelivant; as I said earlier; the color can be changed at a whim (Sure touch ups for each color will be needed; but nothing major)

Edit: More crazy renders, color and pattern irrelivant...

Shirt_Comparison_001.jpg

Shirt_Comparison_002.jpg

Shirt_Comparison_003.jpg

Shirt_Comparison_004.jpg

Shirt_New_005.jpg

Shirt_New_006.jpg

Shirt_New_007.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

It may be easy to change, but from what I was reading we won't be having multiple versions for some time so it would be better to release with a more interesting version. If you refer back to some of the older posts, I believe post 112 (http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=118929) has the olive that we were using that matched pretty well with the black. The uniform also seems to be missing the Xcorps Patch from the old version.

The geometry not withstanding, the vest does need some improvement. if you look back around post 133 (http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=123900) you will see some reference shots of a vest and a little further down is a more complex one. With the Iraq war going on there are quite a few shots out there of how modern armors look and what form of attachments they have. At the very least the front plates need to be redone and shoulder/side fasterners need to be added. I'll do a search again, but Interceptor armor and the pics previously posted would be a good start on teh vest.

I do agree, the rest of the texture is superior to the old one and you have done a good job with what's here so far, but these are a few things that should be worked up before we call this model finished.

Edited by Vaaish

• 3 weeks later...

The new one looks a lot better, especially the head.

The vest is less detailed though, but are all the pockets needed?

Does that mean there are no plans to change the skin color or heads?

Is the head going to be separate, so we can make different versions even if it can't be changed till later?

• 2 weeks later...

Updates:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2594/shirtnew005zw1.jpg

The armor is looking much better now, perhaps a bit more detailing here and there if you get a chance but I like it much better than before.

• 4 weeks later...
I think the highlights above the plate carriers are overstated quite a bit in terms of intensity and / or vertical thickness. They give the impression of large bevelled ramps down the chest, which cannot be substantiated by the silhouette. The overall effect is inconsistent. I like quite a lot what you have done with the face, however.

• 1 month later...
Looking good. I think that pocked on the shoulder is a bit odd though. Seems a weird shape for a pocked having the uneven bottom. I see why you did that so teh lines would work together better with the front plates but perhaps a simple Velcro strip or elastic shell/pencil holder through there would work better

It's a radio pocket; the other side has velcro strips, and I agree with Azrael, in that can we ship this thing off already? It has gone through 4 iterations... Edited by Shinzon

I think that pocket is a bit weird and should probably be straightened or switched to more of a mesh. but we can call it done. Edited by Vaaish