XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Purchasing the Playstation Games

Mustang

Hey everyone, I've decided for Christmas I was going to get X-COM 1 and 2 for the Playstation, so I searched up amazon and dug up some links.

UFO Defense (PSX)

Playstation Mouse

However, I couldn't find Terror from the Deep, and upon searching Ebay I could only find copies from the UK.

So that leads to my questions:

Was it only released in the UK?

Can the North American Playstation run a game from the UK?

Thanks for any answers, I would greatly appreciate it

Edited by Mustang

From my own experience with buying PS1 games internationally, US PS1 games generally use NTSC (I think they may even be NTSC US/C (US & Canada)) while the UK release uses PAL, so no they wouldn't be compatible unless you got a PAL or mod-chipped PS1. Do wish they wouldn't do that for console games.

There should be US releases of TFTD though, so don't give up. They won't be up there at all times, but keep an eye on eBay - often the best stuff crops up there when you're not watching. ;)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

From my own experience with buying PS1 games internationally, US PS1 games generally use NTSC (I think they may even be NTSC US/C (US & Canada)) while the UK release uses PAL, so no they wouldn't be compatible unless you got a PAL or mod-chipped PS1. Do wish they wouldn't do that for console games.

You might be able to get a mod chip to play PAL formatted PSX games on an otherwise NTSC machine, but I'm not sure if a US NTSC television will be able to show the images due to differences in refresh rates. So it may not do you any good getting a mod chip. Then again, someone has to have found a way to do this by now. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know. :)

There should be US releases of TFTD though, so don't give up. They won't be up there at all times, but keep an eye on eBay - often the best stuff crops up there when you're not watching. ;)

TFTD was never released for the PSX in the United States. It was only released in PAL format. So don't bother searching for it - it doesn't exist. ;)

- Zombie

You might be able to get a mod chip to play PAL formatted PSX games on an otherwise NTSC machine, but I'm not sure if a US NTSC television will be able to show the images due to differences in refresh rates. So it may not do you any good getting a mod chip. Then again, someone has to have found a way to do this by now. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know. :)

TFTD was never released for the PSX in the United States. It was only released in PAL format. So don't bother searching for it - it doesn't exist. ;)

- Zombie

Well, that sucks, I'll try researching about running PAL games and get back to this sometime

As the good old CRT TV is gradually being phased out for the modern flat screen LCD and Plasma TVs, many of them can display the various NTSC and PAL colour formats. So that would eliminate the need to import a PAL TV. ;)

- NKF

I did a little researching on this last night on the internet and it may actually be possible to play a PAL game on a NTSC Playstation by swapping disks. That's tricky though and I'm not entirely sure if that will work as the guy who showed how it's done was using a Japanese game which isn't PAL but NTSC (different region though). Another guy showed how he was able to play NTSC PSX games in Britain, however, that entailed getting a NTSC Playstation, an electrical converter and a NTSC -> PAL signal converter. Technically it should be possible to do the reverse assuming you can find all the necessary components here in the states. ;)

- Zombie

I did a little researching on this last night on the internet and it may actually be possible to play a PAL game on a NTSC Playstation by swapping disks. That's tricky though and I'm not entirely sure if that will work as the guy who showed how it's done was using a Japanese game which isn't PAL but NTSC (different region though). Another guy showed how he was able to play NTSC PSX games in Britain, however, that entailed getting a NTSC Playstation, an electrical converter and a NTSC -> PAL signal converter. Technically it should be possible to do the reverse assuming you can find all the necessary components here in the states. ;)

- Zombie

What I read said that disc swapping for PAL -> NTSC made the game flicker and have the bottom chunk of the screen missing, but I did read about getting a VCR that could transfer PAL signals to NTSC TVs, so I could probably buy that and combine both methods if it's not too pricey.

Nope, the PSX version was ported in '95 a year after the original release and a lot of the bugs present in DOS/Windows were fixed. :)

- Zombie

• 2 years later...

hey,

Just to let you know there is a possibility to play both of the UFO Defense and TFD on PSP. I have both of the games and enjoy playing them all the time. To be honest with you thats the only reason I bought PSP to get both of the UFO games for it. All you need is a PSP with custom firmware installed and you are ready to play.