XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Apocalypse Runs Slow Compared To Dos

hello everyone, my first post on this site which has already given me so much pleasure : I could finally run XCOM3 on XP (so i've kept my old WIN98 for nothing :hammer: )

Ok, but now i have a problem :

The game run slow especially during the fights (combats), but when i do a alt+tab and then get back to the game, it has a temporary speed increase (which is proportionnal to the time passed outside the game with the alt+tab trick)

During these speed increases the gameplay is pretty cool and it runs at a "normal-true-DOS" speed (i've tested it on the good-old DOS)

While not doing that trick the game is slow as if i had an old 486.

So i would like to know if someone has the same problem and if it's possible to get the real DOS speed ?

thanks in advance.

I have experienced this "haste" spell too. It's very interesting though, because if you don't change from city scape to tactical (or vice versa), you can keep the temporary haste in effect for some time.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do this or make it permanent.

But you have those nifty speed buttons in the game, why not use those to your advantage? You can set so many auto pause flags that you won't get a disaster even if you run at max speed...

That isn't a problem. I've done it before, and it's pretty cool.

All of the "newer" DOS games are able to control their speed. They sort of have a version of MoSlo that makes the game run at the speed it's supposed to run at. If you've ever played any flash game or modern game, you know that having a very fast processor won't run the game at a faster speed. (You get a better framerate and load time.)

In normal speed mode (">") every second in the game clock should run as fast as in real life.

There's also half-speed mode ("|>") Double speed ("|>") and quadruple speed. ("||>") These are all based on real seconds.

The Cityscape also has ultra speed. ("||||||||>") This will skip 5 minutes at a time, at an insane rate. Days will be gone in seconds. It took me a while to figure that out the first time I played. :rolleyes:

There are some problems, when the game is run on a faster computer than it's MoSlo was ever designed for. These games suffer from "Division errors". The values used to slow down the game go beyond their boundaries, causing them to crash.

You have nothing to worry about. Except why the Dos version runs so fast. ^_^

You could play real-time. That goes much faster than turn-based. Realtime only has double speed, which is more than enough to complete a mission in only a few minutes. (or less!)

You can have your guys run. They go much faster when they're running, but they can't shoot.

Autofire makes every battle seem faster. :)

Same thing with large amounts of explosives.

Dual-wield weapons in real-time. Twice the firepower == faster battles!

You can have several guys shoot at once in turn-based. Make sure their guns are in the same hand first. (Put marsec launchers in the other hand!)

If you want to do stun raids with a few guys guarding the enemy units for hours on end, suck it up. You're cheating, and that's the price for cheating. <_>

:happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana:

Ok i've fixed it using SPEEDSET which allow me to set the speed of the game.

- simply download speedset (ask google)

- put this command : speedset 0.01 in your .bat file just after DOSDRV

it will increase the speed of the game (i don't know how but it works !) - this is an example with a 1.2 Ghz Duron . maybe put 0.000001 if you have a 10 Ghz Pentium4 ;)

and one outstanding thing : the loadings times are shorter than ever !!!!!

:rock:

-------------------------------------------

edit :

can an admin add the term "FIXED" to my 1srt post title ?

that would be great for people to know that there is a solution :)

Edited by samsoule

• 5 months later...

Hello.

I have already spend a lot of time in the foum with search and i find some topic who talk about my problem..

I try to play to Xcom3 (with crack and i didn' t install the graphics patch.. i don t have any problems with it.) but the mouse is too slow.

I see something about mous2kv etc . I have download it.. but after i can t understand what to do..

i have see something about a .bat in the xcom3 repertory .. but i can t see any .bat.

And what is a .batch please??

Do i have to create one?

What can i do to see the ".something" at the end of the files..

i have only the name .. and nothing more. I don t know if it s a .bat or a .exe..

Help me please .. xcom3 seem to works on my computer with vdmsound.. but this mouse problem is really boring.

Thx you by advance for your time.

And sorry for my bad english.. i try to fix that too but i just can t find the good patch =)

Regards,

------

win Xp pro.

P4 2ghz 512 mg ram

Xcom3 with crack.

Ok, to see all file extensions, open "Folder Options" under the "Tools" menu and go to the "View" tab and look at the list. Untick the box that says "hide known filetypes" and voila, you can see the file extensions for all files.

Alternately, the .bat files natural icon is a little black box thing. The X-COM Apoc icon should be an exe with a white box. It might be a white box too, if you're running an older system. I'm running APOC on a 350mhz PC with no troubles. It seems that 300-500mhz is the optimal "unenhanced" speed range without speedup or slowdown. Again, this is just a guess.

Thx a lot exo2000. It s working now. Thx again.

I see the files extention name and my mouse has a good speed.

I gonna check to fix the speed of the game.

I gonna do what samsoul did.

Thx again for the help guys.

Regards,

Edited by cyrano