XCOMUFO & Xenocide

What Was The Native Os And Pc When Xcom Came Out?

Guest Guest_Brian_*

Guest Guest_Brian_*

What was the native OS and PC when XCOM came out? I want to build a system to run it.

I want to build a classic system to run my old games that have been sitting around. (XCOM, Railroad Tycoon, A-train, Overlord etc.)

Here is my wish list so far:

486DX50

max ram for that MB

Soundblaster 16 (ISA)

Vesa Localbus videocard with 2mb of ram (i think this was the max back then)

CDROM, HD, Floppy

DOS 6.2

-Not sure about mouse (whether its serial or not)

-Not sure about win 3.1 or should i use win95.

Thanks,

Brian

Let's see here, our PC when we got xcom:

386SX (25MHz)

4 MB RAM

2 HD, 1 40 MB and 1 210 MB

Soundblaster 16

Serial mouse

no windows at all, plain dos is better

edit: and some ET-4000 videocard with 1 MB, IIRC

this config worked like a charm for games like transport tycoon, civ, simcity, xcom,...

You could of course use something like dosbox to play these old games on your new pc :)

Edited by j'ordos

Let's see here, our PC when we got xcom:

386SX (25MHz)

4 MB RAM

2 HD, 1 40 MB and 1 210 MB

Soundblaster 16

Serial mouse

no windows at all, plain dos is better

this config worked like a charm for games like transport tycoon, civ, simcity, xcom,...

You could of course use something like dosbox to play these old games on your new pc :)

Sounds about right. I had windows 3.1, but I hardly used it because it sucked for games. And about older games, I have a gig of my hd formatted for windows 98 SE. It runs DOS games with no problems. The lack of support for DOS is one reason why I didn't get Windows XP until like a year or two ago. The only problem you might find on modern day computers trying to run DOS games is that the games just go too fast sometimes, that's unfortunate, but could be somewhat remedied by programs like Mo'Slo.

I use DosBox in my WinXP partition to play most DOS games, but there are some that even DosBox can't handle very well (X-Com 3 for example), but runs very smoothly on Win98. The downside is since I installed Win98 after WinXP, I have to go through the trouble of switching Win98 to the active partition every time I want to go in Win98, and switching WinXP as active if I want to go back. Minor inconveniences...

I would suggest you install Win98 (if the old-school computer can handle it), since it is better than Win95 by a long shot, and since it still rests upon DOS, for any DOS games that cannot be run under windows you can just exit windows to DOS and play it there.

Edited by dark2025

I use DosBox in my WinXP partition to play most DOS games, but there are some that even DosBox can't handle very well (X-Com 3 for example), but runs very smoothly on Win98. The downside is since I installed Win98 after WinXP, I have to go through the trouble of switching Win98 to the active partition every time I want to go in Win98, and switching WinXP as active if I want to go back. Minor inconveniences...

Well, XCom3 can be troublesome, but running it with VDMSound works ok. Not perfect, but playable nonetheless. Playable enough to not bother switching to different OS's anyway :)

I have to say though, so far I've been able to get practically every old game I wanted to play again to work on my XP system, but if you're still planning to go through with building an old system, I've got an old 486DX-80 with mobo and cooler still lying around somewhere :D

Guest Guest_Brian_*

So it was a 386.....

I have gotten xcom to work with xp, but its simple enough to get an old system and play it like the original. Right? hehe

I have a P133 with Win98 but it doesnt have a Soundblaster. I remember that the off brands didnt work to well in dos mode. I'll ebay a SB16 and see how it goes. I want to use DOS and not Windows also.

I wonder what the shipping would be for a pc from belgium to usa?!?!? LOL

• 6 months later...
Yeah you definitely want a DOS/only OS. I used to play Doom a lot. Under DOS I could simultaneously press, forward, sideways, turn, run, fire, and map. Win95 and I couldnt