XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Units LUA support

Catgirl Leader

I agree. It's going to be a decent sized conversion though, considering we have to define unit specifics like stats, sound, etc. in the lua. Hopefully Azrael will keep interested in doing this, and I can focus on helping him since I know my way around the unit code. Perhaps I can also see what I can do with the 'Chameleon' lua to prepare for the "switch" of other races. No worries. :)

Guest Azrael Strife
Yes, we all did a splendid job I must say! :D

Prepare to see some (6) TFTD units in the near future! (Yes Guruluas2000, we will have Calcinites. :P)

Time to stop adding them hardcoded however.

We'd rather have a LUA API for units, it's been trailing behind for too long now.

We will have to rebuild the old ones to LUA too.

Is the plan to have a single LUA file for all units or have different "unitsets" like we do with weapons?

Unit sets. If someone wants to add a new unit, they should simply be able to drop a new '/unit-example/exampleunit.lua'.

If you're talking about categories where you must pick a certain set to play only (like ufo2k weapons only), I think we want to be able to use ALL units at the same time, not specific ones (like xcom units only, or TFTD units only).

Guest Azrael Strife

(topic split)

So, you want to use ALL unit LUA files at once? I'm not really sure that's so easy... but then again, I could be mistaken, nachtwolf?

(topic split)

So, you want to use ALL unit LUA files at once? I'm not really sure that's so easy... but then again, I could be mistaken, nachtwolf?

The LUA API first. Units that can be loaded like others are (not just chameleon variants) from LUA.

Each unit will be loadable independently from one another but stock units can be provided in a single file (multiple LUA function calls).

Also, the API should pave the way for HWP support.

Units will then be unhardcoded once the LUA API works and is fully operationnal.

And no, not unitsets. All units (common between both players) should be available.

I might take this issue on my shoulders if needed.

Edited by nachtwolf

Guest Azrael Strife
(topic split)

The LUA API first. Units that can be loaded like others are (not just chameleon variants) from LUA.

Each unit will be loadable independently from one another but stock units can be provided in a single file (multiple LUA function calls).

Also, the API should pave the way for HWP support.

Units will then be unhardcoded once the LUA API works and is fully operationnal.

And no, not unitsets. All units (common between both players) should be available.

I might take this issue on my shoulders if needed.

Just wanted to know how we wanted it to be, I'll start working on the LUA API, I guess it should be similar to the one that handles items.

edit: if you want to handle this yourself, just let me know.

Edited by Azrael Strife

Guest Azrael Strife
any chance we can have the ability to set custom stats via the LUAs? that way we can force units like the muton to act as they do in Xcom.

All stats and basically everything customisable about an unit will be in the LUA file, the idea is to move away completely from hardcoded.

One would hope so, bamb. If the checks are in place to prevent weapon and map cheating, I don't see why they wouldn't be in place for unit cheating -- imagine if someone was using a modified super-unit or something.