XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Base Placement When Building New Base

one idea crossed my mind, and perhaps it is worth a discussion:

when you build a new base, you can just select where you want it and it is built there. we could add some realism here...

it should not be possible to build a base right next to big cities

(our little alien defence agency is a secret organization, after all)

high mountains are right out

(building a base at the top of mount everest? c'mon.)

regions with high tectonic activity including nearby volcanos should be limited at least

(our bases are underground, remember? imagine fighting aliens from above and lava from below at the same time...)

I'm sure there's more.

So my idea would be like this: You tell the game where you want a new base. The game checks on some kind of invisible map and tells you (maybe after a few days of research?) "okay sir, we have located the following x spots in the area you selected where it is possible for us to build a base. choose the one you like"

:beer:

another idea by julian was

Rather than limit the possible locations how about we make it into the spying system. See: Wouldn't it be easier for aliens to find the location of your base if it was near a big city?

(topic originally discussed in http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4457 )

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of limiting a little bit where bases can be built, I for one can't imagine where in Bengladesh we'd hide somethin (with 160 people per square mile :D )

On the other hand, the map is not precise enough to manage putting your base on a particular mountain... a valley would be ok, so I'll say keep the mountains, it's cool.

:idea: Perhaps adjusting the base costs depending on terrain (Desrt sure could be cheaper).

Then again, it should be completely impossible to build a base on the north pole, it's actually almost free of ice in the summer (and global warming is'nt helping) :stupid:

• 3 weeks later...
Then again, it should be completely impossible to build a base on the north pole, it's actually almost free of ice in the summer (and global warming is'nt helping)  :stupid:

Really? I was under the impression that the north pole is little more than floating ice and that it's only the south pole that's an actual continent.

And are you sure that the ice disappeas in the summer?

Then again, it should be completely impossible to build a base on the north pole, it's actually almost free of ice in the summer (and global warming is'nt helping)  :stupid:

Really? I was under the impression that the north pole is little more than floating ice and that it's only the south pole that's an actual continent.

And are you sure that the ice disappeas in the summer?

That's exactly what I said, the huge area around the north pole is actually only floating ice, but it still fractures in the "summer", you do have about 5 months of continual day after all... ^_^

Trouble is (according to scientists currently on a Canadian polar mission anyway), for the last ten years or so the sea does not freeze as quickly and melts faster. Trouble is that the sea does not reflect solar energy back to space as the ice does, so the global warming is even faster in arctic climates. When you know it's the water temperature difference that powers the large oceanic currents that regulates the global climate, you can expect a not so far future where global warming cause gradual increase in storms, hurricanes, floods and droughts... It could even trigger an ice age in europe (by slowing the gulf stream oceanic current that warms western europe) :huh: