XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Worst Possible Sub Recovery Crew?

I just completed recovering a crashed down large sub filled with tasoth and tentaculats. It was pretty hard with the tentaculats covering the enterance of the sub (as well as the ones scattered through the map waiting to surround me from behind) and trying to fight without losing too many of my men to MC.

I ended up having to rush in, kill the MC tasoth and hide somewhere in the sub so the cannon armed ones couldn't find me (at least, for that turn). It go real easy after killing the MC tasoth since they started panicing all over the place (or just doing stupid things, even the tentaculats stopped functioning).

The thing is, how hard is it to recover a touched down very large sub that's filled with tasoth and tentaculats. You are sure to get one/two MC guys (hidden deep inside the sub may I add), as well some tasoth armed with disruptor pulse launcher. I've never done this kind of mission, not even in beginner mode. I suspect it would be harder than a colony mission. No?

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think colony missions are harder. It's packed with aliens. But besides having the same enemies as in the ship you mentioned (tentaculats and tasoths), there's dozens of aliens carying disruptor pulse launchers, and it's dark. It's also two parter, whereas in the second part there's hundreds of tiny rooms with lobsters and tentaculats everywhere. And if you don't want a lobster to reactionfire when you shoot it, you have to attack all of them with thermal shock launchers. (or vibroblades but then you have to get really close and as they move in groups.... :crying: )

I've never finished a colony mission with lots of saving/reloading.

Hmmm. I remember colony missions being easier. I always take a few Thermal Shok carriers with me (who do nothing in the first part). Usually the tactic is to blow everything to pieces in the first part with Disruptor Pulse Launchers, and in the second part, use a lot of MC. If you know where the tentaculats are generally hiding (I have memorised the places after so many years) you don't provide free kills for them.

• 1 month later...