17 replies to this topic

#1 c4t

c4t

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 11:06 AM

sorry if this has been discussed before, but from my experiences and actually some fun testing when a blaster bomb hits floor level one and there is a soldier right above it and he is on the second level (flying suit) he takes zero damage. would it be possible to make explosions affect multiple levels? i say a blaster bomb may go up 3 levels right where it hits and maybe 2 levels 5 squares away, and then back down to one. would look like a cut in half egg.

________
/ \
/ \
/ \

or. something....

oh, you guys suck you eliminate spacebar

ok well just pretend that the slashes are at the edges and you will see what i mean. sort of...
Rawr.

"Please, think of the kittens."

#2 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:15 PM

i would rather: (this is a 2d map, but it is the same for all 2d views)

------------------_---------------
----------------____-------------
-------------________-----------
----------____________---------
-------------________-----------
----------------____-------------
------------------_---------------

You know what i mean, just do the damage, like if it was 2 squares explosion, then the damage point itself is the axis: 4X, 4Y, 4Z. Then you have an explosion that does damage in all dirrections. If ít hits the lowest floor, it simply does not damage those areas.

Edit: it posed smileys! lol

Edited by mikker, 06 July 2003 - 12:16 PM.

#3 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 04:17 PM

the "levels" (hopefuly) wont exist, the explosions will damage verticaly. im pretty sure its mentioned in the design document (on the top floor>libary)... (it is, point # 2.1.10)

Edited by hippyjon, 06 July 2003 - 04:22 PM.

...or something

#4 c4t

c4t

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 04:32 PM

if there werent levels then how would fly suits work?

thanks, ill go check it out.
Rawr.

"Please, think of the kittens."

#5 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 04:12 AM

Damage will be taken in a sphere of radius N, meaning 3D blasting damage...

Greetings
Red Knight
Sourceforge Nick: flois - Federico Andres Lois
Visit my blog at: flois.blogspot.com

Posted Image

Pookie cover me, I am going in.

#6 Nickisimo

Nickisimo

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, I believe since the soldiers will be living in a gridless battlescape, blast radii will be actual circles(thank goodness).

Not too sure. I doubt they would allow a soldier to move up anything but a nice integer of "levels". Think of the mess that would ensue if a soldier was allowed to move up 0.37 meters. That means his sight lines would all have to be perfectly adjusted that little bit. I don't think in a gridless world it'll be any problem though. His x/y coordinates would stay the same, just add 1 to the z(that sounds like a bad rap lyric). :LOL:

#7 miceless

miceless

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 01:56 PM

Yeah, I believe since the soldiers will be living in a gridless battlescape, blast radii will be actual circles(thank goodness).

Not too sure. I doubt they would allow a soldier to move up anything but a nice integer of "levels". Think of the mess that would ensue if a soldier was allowed to move up 0.37 meters. That means his sight lines would all have to be perfectly adjusted that little bit. I don't think in a gridless world it'll be any problem though. His x/y coordinates would stay the same, just add 1 to the z(that sounds like a bad rap lyric). :LOL:

If the world is gridless (and I think thats great) then the mechanics of calculating line-of-site, fog of war, 'flying' and such must get complicated.

Is it a truly gridless environment, or is it just really small squares? How excatly is this going to work? Or has this not been discussed?
"If it moves - kill it. If it doesn't move - kill it anyway, it might move later."

#8 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 06:05 PM

It will be a gridless system with free range of movement, TUs will move you a certain distance, regardless of whether it's forwards or upwards AFAIK. Of course, the battlescape system isn't being developed right now, so there is nothing in stone. But the plan is to use a gridless 3D system, so a weapon blast will be constructed in a 3D sphere for calculating effect. Would be fun to blow up the room below some aliens, have the roof/floor be destroyed, and they all fall down into the room below, where all the timered grenades are waiting... B)

#9 miceless

miceless

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 12:02 AM

It will be a gridless system with free range of movement, TUs will move you a certain distance, regardless of whether it's forwards or upwards AFAIK.

Sounds great, but complicated.

Fine by me, as long as I dont have to code it. :D
"If it moves - kill it. If it doesn't move - kill it anyway, it might move later."

#10 revenant4

revenant4

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 12:15 AM

The Xenocide Team love Challenges...RK rules... :master:

#11 demich

demich

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 07:04 AM

Are we going to have advanced phisics in a game?

#12 miceless

miceless

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 07:33 AM

Depends what you mean by physics. There are sorts of topics about realistic gravty, body parts, explosions, line of sight. It all depends on whats possible and nothing has really been decided that i am aware of.

#13 demich

demich

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 07:46 AM

miceless: I'm thinking about items flying after granade explosion, when it explodes below item goes up, when on the left item flies right etc. I'm thinking about breaking items that have small hardaness. Fer example muton is falling from 10 meters on wooden floor and it breaks through it into a basement (he may not survive this ofcourse ;). but the same muton won't break through concentrate floor.
This is the phisics about which i'm thinking :)

#14 Guest_Jim69_*

Guest_Jim69_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2003 - 09:03 AM

hehehe, just had an evil thought 4 explosions. What if the explosions caused limbs to fly off aliens and soliders SOF style :LOL: :explode: Would be pretty violent tho.

#15 miceless

miceless

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 12:40 AM

Xenocide X - The Adult Version

:D I think we want to keep the gore levels down in an attempt to have no rating limitations. Would be a cool mod for it though.

#16 Fred the Goat

Fred the Goat

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 11:40 AM

I agree with miceless' earlier comment. This all sounds fantastic. And I'm so glad I'm not coding it. Good luck!

#17 Guest_Jim69_*

Guest_Jim69_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2003 - 11:42 AM

Xenocide X - The Adult Version

:D I think we want to keep the gore levels down in an attempt to have no rating limitations. Would be a cool mod for it though.

Hehehe, have a test 2 c if u r over 18, like Leisure Suit Larry, that game was quality, but the questions were so ****ing hard.

#18 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 08:15 PM

Would be fun to blow up the room below some aliens, have the roof/floor be destroyed, and they all fall down into the room below, where all the timered grenades are waiting... B)

But if you placed grenades on the floor of the lower room, wouldn't they detonate of the explotion that takes out the roof? All explosives should definately detonate in contact with explosions.